HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strickland Rumor-Blues intrested in Forsberg

Old
02-05-2008, 01:53 AM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

vCash: 500
Strickland Rumor-Blues intrested in Forsberg

Just checking hockeybuzz.com and saw Strickland's latest

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13080

I realize its just a rumor, but I can't say it didn't pique my interest

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
Just checking hockeybuzz.com and saw Strickland's latest

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13080

I realize its just a rumor, but I can't say it didn't pique my interest

I know Andy's credibility isn't the greatest, but I believe this. I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of us actually signing Forsberg, but I believe the interest in surely there. Why wouldn't it be? If we could pull this off, we'd be adding a scorer to bolster our playoff chances without having to part with any assets. We have the cap room to make this work and I could see ownership allowing this as it would qualify as an impact move. Beyond this season, Berglund could learn from his fellow countryman next year (well hopefully not the diving lessons), and Eller could also pick up a thing or two. This makes sense from the Blues side for both now and the future. The problem is I don't think it makes sense at all for Forsberg. Why come back to be a playoff longshot and Stanley Cup afterthought. Unless the Blues can play to his ego (we can't do this without you), pony up some serious cash (which given his injury history may not be wise) or interest him in either playing with fellow superstar Paul Kariya and our superstars in training, it just doesn't seem like a fit. Shame though, it's the right kind of move given where we are in the standings and would generate even more interest in our team.

The other encouraging news bit here is the Blues meeting with Salvador. Hopefully they can work something out and move Jackman to the highest bidder. Salvador is just a better fir for this team anyway.

Last edited by Checker*: 02-05-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 04:49 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I'll believe it when I see it. I like the thought, but the whole guarantee that Forsberg will return isn't exactly a guarantee either. He could just as easily change his mind.

I don't doubt that they're looking at every possible option, some are just less likely than others. I think he'll sign with San Jose or Pittsburgh.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Kariya and Forsberg played together in Nashville and as we all know, they played great together. Kariya always setting him up. So another thing that could nip at Foppa to come to the STL, knowing he has a great set up man here. It'd be nice for sure, just....very unlikely.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
If he's willing to sign for a cheap deal, then I'd be all for it. If he's commanding top dollar, then forget about it. He has to prove that he's shaken off the injury prone tag.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
General Veers

I personally think any rental acquired should be a little cheaper and have a better chance at playing here next year that Peter. As Checker said, why would he pick a team in our situation? That being said, I wouldn't complain if we signed him!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Blues077

John Davidson was on 1380 this morning and confirmed that they are interested in Forsberg. But so are 20 other teams.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
If he's willing to sign for a cheap deal, then I'd be all for it. If he's commanding top dollar, then forget about it. He has to prove that he's shaken off the injury prone tag.

If you get Forsberg, it probably won't be cheap. He's got teams interested to say the least. I'd pony up the cash for a 2 year deal. If it works out, it's a freakin steal if not, then it's "oops money" like the money we spent on the combined salaries of Rucinsky, Cajanek, and Mike Johnson. People focus on his injuries and while it's true that in his last 3 NHL seasons he's only played a combined 156 games. He also put up 185 points across those games. If this is at the very least the same Forsberg that played last season, he's still going to help.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

Who is not interested in Forsberg?

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

If we are in a position to make the playoffs, then lets make a push for him. Come on Dave its only money and we know you have plenty of it, being as you owned your first professional sports team when you were like 26 or something...

Last edited by Celtic Note: 02-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
If you get Forsberg, it probably won't be cheap. He's got teams interested to say the least. I'd pony up the cash for a 2 year deal. If it works out, it's a freakin steal if not, then it's "oops money" like the money we spent on the combined salaries of Rucinsky, Cajanek, and Mike Johnson. People focus on his injuries and while it's true that in his last 3 NHL seasons he's only played a combined 156 games. He also put up 185 points across those games. If this is at the very least the same Forsberg that played last season, he's still going to help.
I'll take that anytime.....and maybe he can also help out that young centerman (Berglund) that is going to make the jump NA next season

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I know Andy's credibility isn't the greatest, but I believe this. I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of us actually signing Forsberg, but I believe the interest in surely there. Why wouldn't it be? If we could pull this off, we'd be adding a scorer to bolster our playoff chances without having to part with any assets. We have the cap room to make this work and I could see ownership allowing this as it would qualify as an impact move. Beyond this season, Berglund could learn from his fellow countryman next year (well hopefully not the diving lessons), and Eller could also pick up a thing or two. This makes sense from the Blues side for both now and the future. The problem is I don't think it makes sense at all for Forsberg. Why come back to be a playoff longshot and Stanley Cup afterthought. Unless the Blues can play to his ego (we can't do this without you), pony up some serious cash (which given his injury history may not be wise) or interest him in either playing with fellow superstar Paul Kariya and our superstars in training, it just doesn't seem like a fit. Shame though, it's the right kind of move given where we are in the standings and would generate even more interest in our team.

The other encouraging news bit here is the Blues meeting with Salvador. Hopefully they can work something out and move Jackman to the highest bidder. Salvador is just a better fir for this team anyway.
What he said.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Rush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Kariya and Forsberg played together in Nashville and as we all know, they played great together. Kariya always setting him up. So another thing that could nip at Foppa to come to the STL, knowing he has a great set up man here. It'd be nice for sure, just....very unlikely.

Other than on the powerplay, PK and Forsberg rarely played together. Kariya played with Legwand and Erat. Forsberg centered Radulov and JP Dumont(I think).

Watching Forsberg here in Nashville last year was somewhat painful. I thought that he was a shadow of his former self. The hands and vision were still there, but he was painfully slow (foot bothering him plus preds had some quickness). The plus is that you don't have to give up any assets for him. The negative is that the owners will have to pony up some bucks to get him. I don't know if his skating is any better this year or not, but if it was my money, I wouldn't sign him.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote