HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stick A Fork In Us?

Old
02-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
The thought crossed my mind that Pascal's injury could be a stroke of luck in an unfortunate kind of way:

1. The Cover: Many of us didn't expect the team to get into the playoffs, and now ALL OF US have a legitimate excuse to "wait until next year."

2. The Timing: Coming as it does before the trade deadline, it gives Howson time to get something for a few players, AND more time to examine the summer market without the distractions of contending or playing in the playoffs.

3. The Silver Lining: We get to see Mason, and some younger guys get more playing time ...which should help Hitch and Howson examine this team more closely. Personally, I'd love to see Boll play more.

4. The UnLikely Hope: Perhaps this team responds and DOES recover from this setback. It would be great to see Freddie pull his game back together. And maybe this team will play better without the HIGH expectations.
Hard to see Pascal's injury as "good luck," but in a "make the best of what you're handed" sort of way, I see where you're coming from.

Old
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Hard to see Pascal's injury as "good luck," but in a "make the best of what you're handed" sort of way, I see where you're coming from.
Me too, sometimes I swear this team can't perform without adversity. Prior to last night, I was convinced Nash couldn't score on a breakaway with a defenseman draped on his back.

If we are without Pascal for couple weeks, but playing with focus and a sense of purpose(vindication?), we'll be better than we've been since the ASG.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Me too, sometimes I swear this team can't perform without adversity. Prior to last night, I was convinced Nash couldn't score on a breakaway with a defenseman draped on his back.

If we are without Pascal for couple weeks, but playing with focus and a sense of purpose(vindication?), we'll be better than we've been since the ASG.
Ha! I was thinking the opposite... Nash can ONLY score pressure goals!
Looking at that game last night, you have to ask where the secondary scoring was. Other than Chim's tip in, nothing. We need some LUCKIER forwards on this team.

You know what I miss? Good old fashioned slapshot goals like the kind Alex O made.
Meaning...I miss Bryan Berard.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Or do you mean you missed the old pre-lockout, still on 'roids Bryan Berard?!?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Careful, a mod might reprimand you for using profanity.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Ha! I was thinking the opposite... Nash can ONLY score pressure goals!
Looking at that game last night, you have to ask where the secondary scoring was. Other than Chim's tip in, nothing. We need some LUCKIER forwards on this team.

You know what I miss? Good old fashioned slapshot goals like the kind Alex O made.

I mistyped, that should have read:

"Nash couldn't score without a defenseman draped on his back." I'm with ya JF.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
errey21

Im with Jcktfan on this one. The whole season has been up and down and the last week has been disappointing to say the least but......

I was never expecting playoffs this year. This summer we had a new GM (I understood needing to get his bearings), it was Hitchs first full year (I understood needing a training camp and a full year to get a system/culture in place). Then we dont really sign any free agents this summer (Hejda and Novotny have been pleasant suprises, and Peca was a late throw in because of the circumstances with Svitov)but we essentially stood pat this summer with a team that finished 25 or so points out of the playoffs last year (which again, I understood due to the above).

It all screamed to me that we were hoping some of the kids would grow and step up and hoping Hitch could get blood out of a turnip and maybe, just maybe we would catch lighting in a bottle and make a run this year. But when you are as bad as we have been for seven years, and you sign Hejda, Novotny, and a season ending injury removed Peca (with no offense to any of them) in the summer, you are essentially telling me we are a year away. Which again, I understood and accepted.

Now, with all that said, as a fan (and season ticket holder since year one) next year is it for me. No more excuses. No more growing, no more maturing, no more "we need to learn how to win", no more Fedorov/Foote eat the whole budget, no more anything. This team needs to make the playoffs.

So for me that means take the last 25 games and play who you have to play to see who fits (kids), sign who you've got to sign of our UFA's that you want back, trade who you've got to trade of our UFA's/Vets who wont be back to get assets for the future, and this summer pick up whatever free-agents you have to pick up to fill the holes.

No more excuses. Just do it.

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Skraut

Well Said!!!

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
baberg

Looking at the updated standings tonight after our win against the Coyotes, it's surprisingly not looking that bad. The five teams ahead of us only have one game in-hand on us, and a three-way tie for 7th is only 3 points away, with 6th place only 4 points away. The Blues could make a charge (4 games in-hand, 4 points behind us) but other than that it's a tight race.

A 5-for-6 stretch could put us in a really nice position. We definitely control our own destiny here. If we keep winning and getting points we can pull this out. If we hang up the skates and only play 10 minutes of hockey, we'll have no chance.

I'm a lot more optimistic right now than I was last week, and it's not just because of the win against the Coyotes. The other teams ahead of us have slipped up a bit and didn't finish their business, giving us a shot.

A win tomorrow night against San Jose (and not fumbling against the Kings on Monday) can really set the table for a nice push. Let's get it done!

baberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
If we get a point tomorrow I'll be happy, but Sunday is the real must win.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by baberg View Post
Looking at the updated standings tonight after our win against the Coyotes, it's surprisingly not looking that bad. The five teams ahead of us only have one game in-hand on us, and a three-way tie for 7th is only 3 points away, with 6th place only 4 points away. The Blues could make a charge (4 games in-hand, 4 points behind us) but other than that it's a tight race.

A 5-for-6 stretch could put us in a really nice position. We definitely control our own destiny here. If we keep winning and getting points we can pull this out. If we hang up the skates and only play 10 minutes of hockey, we'll have no chance.

I'm a lot more optimistic right now than I was last week, and it's not just because of the win against the Coyotes. The other teams ahead of us have slipped up a bit and didn't finish their business, giving us a shot.

A win tomorrow night against San Jose (and not fumbling against the Kings on Monday) can really set the table for a nice push. Let's get it done!
Other teams fumbling their opportunity is one of the variables that does impact position, and one that can't be predicted. That could indeed improve our chances when using wins over .500 as the yardstick.

If the eight seed is up 8 wins now but drops to 5 or 6 we are in a much better position to advance..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote