HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

[GDT 52:] 2/5/08 Philadelphia Flyers @ Atlanta Thrashers 7:00 PM-ET (CW57)

Old
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
Would it be stupid of me to put $25.00 on the Flyers to win by 2 goals or more?

I think it would pay something like $47.50 plus my $25.00 back...
Yes, it would be stupid of you, but keep in mind I'm writing this like an hour plus after the game has ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
At least they respect Cannon enough to make him feel at home. I am sure that next year there will be a rule that all ice surfaces must say "All-Star" when Richards is scheduled to play on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Briere is having a good game.
Absolutely. That line deserved a goal sooooooooo much, especially Gags. Great cycling for them all game, I hope Upshall is OK because that line is really looking ready to bust out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Peco is a power company ----> Flyers see a money making opportunity -----> Peco becomes a sponsor -----> Peco PP.

Nitty just scared me.
For the record, since taking up occupancy in their new building in Newark, the Devils have "stolen" this...they now that the "PSE&G (our energy company) PP."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
3 Stars:
1. Steve Downie
2. Mike Richards
3. Eric Boulton

Colin Campbell is crying somewhere.
If we're lucky, maybe he and Bettman dropped dead of a heart-attack and a stroke respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Tremendous. This is a good place to post the pic I took at the last game I was at...

I freakin' love it.............

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The last time we lost to Atlanta, it was that ridiculous 6-5 OT loss where they almost fixed the game for them.
Oh man, don't remind me.

Jules, nice pics.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Sloppy play a problem again...too many turnovers, not nearly enough physical play. Ashame to see Coburn have one of his worst games of the year against his old mates. Jones-Smith pairing certainly made things uneasy more than once.

Hatcher and Coburn both seemed to be a little confused on the first goal, but I'd put the blame mostly on Hatcher...why was he just gliding out towards the neutral zone when the Thrashers were holding that puck?? He needed to have an eye on Kovy approaching. The second goal was a little bit of a mix-up again, but between Hatcher and Hartnell...on that one I'd put the blame mostly on Scottie. Hatcher maybe could have stuck with Boulton, but he made the decision to peel off as Boulton moved towards the top of the circle. Hartnell should have been prepared to take him on right there, but he was caught kind of just facing the other way and gave himself no chance to shut down Boulton's shot.

On the plus side, solid performance by Niitty, quality pressure in the offensive zone created by each of our top three lines...and a good overall effort from the fourth line as well. Gagne-Briere-Upshall is certainly something I can't wait to see more of...they looked better than last game and created a few big chances tonight with their speed. I think we might really have found some steady lines. Downie had a great game tonight, but I still think it's a good idea to send him back to the Phantoms when Lupul returns. Lupul can take his place, and disregarding Forsberg's possible return, I think we have some lines we can stick with...

Gagne-Briere-Upshall
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul(Downie in the meantime)
Umberger-Carter-Knuble
Cote-Dowd-Kapanen

Let's go kick some Crapitals ass! Here's to hopefully finding steady lines, and here's to Hextall!!

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Hatcher and Coburn both seemed to be a little confused on the first goal, but I'd put the blame mostly on Hatcher...why was he just gliding out towards the neutral zone when the Thrashers were holding that puck?? He needed to have an eye on Kovy approaching. The second goal was a little bit of a mix-up again, but between Hatcher and Hartnell...on that one I'd put the blame mostly on Scottie. Hatcher maybe could have stuck with Boulton, but he made the decision to peel off as Boulton moved towards the top of the circle. Hartnell should have been prepared to take him on right there, but he was caught kind of just facing the other way and gave himself no chance to shut down Boulton's shot.
That actually wasn't Coburn on the ice, it was Jones. My guess is that Hatcher had a long shift and thought initially that he could get a change as we were about to enter the offensive zone. Then the Thrashers took possession and Hatcher was already dead because he doesn't have the speed to recover. It was Hatcher's fault and whoever the forward was that didn't get the puck deep (more Hatcher's though, he should know better). On the 2nd goal, we don't do a lot of switching in the defensive zone like that so Hatcher probably should've stuck with his man, but it was a communication break down. Niitty makes that save if he's a little further out of his net, but he made a few great saves so it's a little difficult to get upset.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
daynus

happy birthday vancouver flyers fan. have a gooder eh.

i enjoyed the game tonight, it was fast, fun to watch. and to get the win was nice. good teams win the one goal games.

peace out catchya later. heading out for the pro bowl. so i will be hockey deprived for a few weeks, sitting in honululu. hope the boys keep rolling.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Amateur Hour

Coburn was brutal in this game. He tried to do way too much, especially when it came to carrying the puck out of his own zone. In the midst of trying to stick-handle through multiple players on 2 separate occasions, he lost the puck and gift-wrapped 2 wonderful scoring opportunities for the Thrashers. There's no doubt in my mind that Braydon was dead set on playing the game of his life, as a big "**** You" to the whole Thrashers organization.

What's a little concerning is that Coburn is starting to more frequently dipsy-doo with the puck in his own zone, trying to stick-handle past the checkers. I hope he starts to realize two things: it's a very stupid and dangerous thing to do, and he's not good enough to even attempt it.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:23 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

It was cool. I met my friend Mary Jane right before the Downie goal. She is the best. As is a win.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
That actually wasn't Coburn on the ice, it was Jones. My guess is that Hatcher had a long shift and thought initially that he could get a change as we were about to enter the offensive zone. Then the Thrashers took possession and Hatcher was already dead because he doesn't have the speed to recover. It was Hatcher's fault and whoever the forward was that didn't get the puck deep (more Hatcher's though, he should know better). On the 2nd goal, we don't do a lot of switching in the defensive zone like that so Hatcher probably should've stuck with his man, but it was a communication break down. Niitty makes that save if he's a little further out of his net, but he made a few great saves so it's a little difficult to get upset.
It was Jones, eh? Hmm, I could've sworn that was Coburn. Either way, it's pretty much a blown play by Hatcher. I see what you're saying about the line change, although God knows why he'd be looking for it when a Thrasher is sitting with the puck at the opposite blue line and his eyes are locked up ice looking to spring someone. As for the second goal, whether or not we do a lot of switching in the defensive zone is of little consequence there. Hartnell needed to react better. And you can't just loosely say, oh well we don't do a lot of switching, so Hatcher should've had him. I suppose if he had skated out to the blue line Hatcher should've stayed on him?? It's not that simple. No matter how little switching your hockey team does...in a situation like that one, the winger is at some point going to have to be in position to pick up a man floating out of the corner toward the blue line, and when Hartnell turned away from the play he lost the chance to do so.
I still think Hatcher should've stuck with him, but I also think Hartnell should've been able to react and shut him down once Hatcher decided to peel off. No doubt though, Hatcher made it tough for Scottie.

No biggie, we still managed to get the 2 points....a big thanks to Kari Lehtonen for having his head shoved way up his ass on our 2nd goal.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:46 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
What's a little concerning is that Coburn is starting to more frequently dipsy-doo with the puck in his own zone, trying to stick-handle past the checkers. I hope he starts to realize two things: it's a very stupid and dangerous thing to do, and he's not good enough to even attempt it.
He definitely got a bit overzealous a couple of times, and I wonder if it had anything to do with him trying to show off against his old team. But saying "he's not good enough to even attempt it"...that just ain't right.

Coburn's ability to turn the wheels on while carrying the puck and accelerate out of our zone past the forecheck is one of his greatest attributes. He doesn't need to dipsy-doo, he just needs to keep the puck in front of him and skate like the wind.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Good news, from Bill Meltzer's blog:
Quote:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13082

* Scottie Upshall was OK after getting his leg or knee twisted initiating a hit near the player bench in the third period.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Good news, from Bill Meltzer's blog:
Thats huge!

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
He definitely got a bit overzealous a couple of times, and I wonder if it had anything to do with him trying to show off against his old team. But saying "he's not good enough to even attempt it"...that just ain't right.

Coburn's ability to turn the wheels on while carrying the puck and accelerate out of our zone past the forecheck is one of his greatest attributes. He doesn't need to dipsy-doo, he just needs to keep the puck in front of him and skate like the wind.
I said he doesn't have the stick-handling ability to pull off those kinds of moves -- which shouldn't be attempted in the first place -- in his own zone. Also, I never questioned Coburn's ability to carry the puck up ice. In fact, I actually lauded him for it and hope he continues to harness and develop his talents in that area. Braydon's got all the ability in the world, and I can't wait to watch him evolve into an excellent top-pairing defenseman over the next 5-7 years (he just signed a 2-year extension in November, so he's here through the 2009-2010 season; I assume signing Braydon will be the Flyers' first priority when it comes time to extend more players long-term. If he continues to develop as he has been, he could be an elite defenseman in 2-3 seasons. Lock him up with 5 years, $32.5 million -- that salary figure is contingent on the market for defensemen continuing to get increasingly competitive, as is the trend now.)

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
orangethrasher
Blue in ex-Blueland

A pretty good game even though the outcome was practically predetermined by our historical play against the Flyers.

Quote:
Let's go kick some Crapitals ass!
You owe us this

orangethrasher is offline   Reply With Quote