HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate selection (yes that question again...)

Old
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
DaveROR

vCash: 500
Skate selection (yes that question again...)

I'm sure you guys are sick of seeing this thread.. but..

My LHS has a, shall we say, limited selection of skates in stock to try on, and the "help" leaves a lot to be desired. I know it's virtually impossible to provide an answer to this question but the more info I have the better educated guess I can make.

I am going to go to the next closest LHS on either tuesday or wednesday after work, perhaps they'll have a larger stock..

Anyways, the only skate I could try on that was even close to my size were some size 8.5D and then 10D NB Vapor's. I wear a 10-10.5 (depending on the shoe) D skate(board) shoe. I'm guessing I need a 9, but think (at least for Bauer) I'd need a wider skate.

Using rental skates I get some bad arch and some shin pain. Last time I don't remember the shin pain but had upper leg pain in my right leg only, but I may just be accustomed to having the shin pain so I just ignored it...

A few websites suggested that you measure your feet and send them the info for a better chance of getting a proper fit right away, I tried that and didn't get a response from those sites..

Here's the measurements in case it helps, both of my feet are ~10-7/16" long and 3-7/8" wide at the widest point (just behind the little toe) - with socks on, thicker socks than crew socks.... I think I have a moderate arch height or whatever it's call, not flat footed as far as I know.

I was looking at Nike Bauer skates, likely a Vapor XXV, partly because that's all the LHS had in stock in adult, non goalie skates and partly because I remember hearing good things about Bauer's from friends that played many years ago.

I am open to any brand to be honest, for $350 or less. I am a beginer but would rather get a better skate then one I'd have to replace in 6 months. I have experience on roller skates ("quads" I guess they are called now) but very little on ice skates.

I'm 5'11", 205lbs.

Any other info helpful?

Sorry about the long first post, I have most of my other gear selected, but with the beg. league starting March 1st, I'm hoping I can get the "right" skate the first time (fit wise at least).

Thanks in advance for any information!

DaveROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:53 PM
hockeyfreak95*

Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
order skates online

if you have money,get NikeBauerOne90's
if your not looking to spend a lot of money on skates, get the Nike Bauer 22's.

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
vexXed

You should go to modsquadhockey.com and ask those guys there. They know their stuff as a few of them work in the business and they also helped me get skates that fit me perfectly.

Also, you shouldn't get skates online unless you know exactly how they fit and what size you should get. I had ordered CCM Pro Tacks and didn't realize that I had been skating wrong for the past 4 years. I talked to those guys over at modsquad and they helped me with getting my Graf 709's from hockeymonkey, as I have a high instep and arch. Oh, and obviously they don't take too kindly if you ask them for advice and then say you're going to buy the skates online. You should see what your local hockey store offers and see if you can get something from them. I was an exception seeing as they don't stock Graf's here in Hong Kong. Good luck!

Last edited by vexXed: 02-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.
vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 06:06 AM
DaveROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
You should go to modsquadhockey.com and ask those guys there. They know their stuff as a few of them work in the business and they also helped me get skates that fit me perfectly.

Also, you shouldn't get skates online unless you know exactly how they fit and what size you should get. I had ordered CCM Pro Tacks and didn't realize that I had been skating wrong for the past 4 years. I talked to those guys over at modsquad and they helped me with getting my Graf 709's from hockeymonkey, as I have a high instep and arch. Oh, and obviously they don't take too kindly if you ask them for advice and then say you're going to buy the skates online. You should see what your local hockey store offers and see if you can get something from them. I was an exception seeing as they don't stock Graf's here in Hong Kong. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I created an account on modsquad yesterday but it hasn't been approved yet, was planning on posting there as well :thumbup:

I would actually prefer to get them locally instead of online, but for a few reasons won't get them at the closest shop (next closest is about 45 minutes from here, which I'm going to visit tomorrow after work - assuming they are open).

Old
02-04-2008, 10:38 AM
vexXed

Have a look at this too, pretty decent advice on getting fitted properly.

http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

Old
02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Prospalous

how are the vapor 16's compared to the 22's? I just picked up the 16's and they seem pretty good. The guy at my local store said they'd be fine for beginner hockey

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Hugh Madbrough

whatever you do don't listen to hockeyfreak95. you need to try skates on first before buying them or you will be sorry.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
DaveROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
whatever you do don't listen to hockeyfreak95. you need to try skates on first before buying them or you will be sorry.
LOL I wasn't planning on taking his advice. It's clear that he didn't read any of my post beyond the subject line and his original statement that the NBH One90's are "the best" was humorous. I'm not saying that are terrible really, but...

I def want to try them on first, my problem is just that my LHS had horrible stock and the employees were beyond useless

Hopefully this other shop I'll go to after work tomorrow (assuming they are open - haven't gotten a call back from them yet) will have better assistance - and skate choices that at least have a chance of fitting. This other shop is a Graf dealer as well so I want to try those on

Vexxed: Thanks for the link, good info from the brief scan I did, I'll read it in detail after I get some work done.

Old
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 View Post
how are the vapor 16's compared to the 22's? I just picked up the 16's and they seem pretty good. The guy at my local store said they'd be fine for beginner hockey
Depends in part on how tall/heavy you are. I was planning to get the 16s, but I went with the 22s b/c I got a great deal. I'm 5'1, 130 (yes, female) and I like them a lot. They're stiff enough that I think the 16s would have been fine. My last pair was the 8 and I got a little over a year out of them.

I'm a beginner too, BTW; I'm actually only skating right now and I'll be playing again in mid-March. I did fourteen years of competitive figure skating before I started hockey, so I'd guess from a skating perspective I'm a little harder on my skates than most beginners. Right now I'm skating 2 or 3 days a week.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:48 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak95 View Post
order skates online

if you have money,get NikeBauerOne90's
if your not looking to spend a lot of money on skates, get the Nike Bauer 22's.
This is such a bad idea it shouldn't even be suggested. Why anyone would would tell someone who has no clue what size skate he needs to by online is beyond me.

Not sure whats worse, that or suggesting he buy a 400-500 dollar high end skate to someone who's using rentals. That's way too much skate for him.

Anyway, there are a few modsquad members here, myself included. They will tell you exactly what we are telling you. Try on every skate and buy the one that fits you the best. Solid advice too. Don't spend a ton of money, but don't cheap out. Try asking the guys at the shop when would be a good time to come in for a fitting. That way they have time to fit you properly without having to deal with 10 other customers.

Remember, if they hurt walking around the store for 10 minutes they will kill you out on the ice.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveROR View Post
I def want to try them on first, my problem is just that my LHS had horrible stock and the employees were beyond useless
Most local shops, at least around here, have employees that know next to nothing. That's where sites like modsquadhockey come in. When going to a store you pretty much have to assume that the employees there don't know anything, unless proven otherwise. You definatly want to do your research before buying skates.

Also, as you know, you should never buy skates online unless you are 100% sure they will fit you. And don't buy too much skate for your ability and weight, you are just asking to have a miserable experence. Can't tell you the amount of kids (and some adults) who have One90's0, but can't even bend the boot. It's a good skate, but unless it fits your foot, and you can flex it, you are wasting your money.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
RangersAM99

i dont kno if your into the RBK style skates but i have the RBK 5K pumps and i love them, i get perfect edge control and i think they are an excellent pair of skates

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
Have a look at this too, pretty decent advice on getting fitted properly.

http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908
I'm looking to replace my generic 7 year old skates pretty quick and read through this, but could someone explain to me a bit better the factor 'skill level' plays on skates? What does the difference actually do when you're on the ice? Now I'm a beginner to hockey, started my first 12 session training program back in September, I'm doing the same program a second time now and will be starting in a HNA beginners league (11 practices, 11 games) on Wednesday. For size I'm 6', 190lbs.

The problem is I don't want to fit myself into a pair of beginners skates because skating is my strength, but I don't know what the skate level means exactly or how I should judge myself by it. Back in highschool I could run a hundred in under 12:00, and would use this to my advantage in any game I played, whether its soccer, football, basketball, etc, so I take to the rink with the same mindset. So far my stride is pretty mediocre, I can't seem to go any faster than anyone else who can skate in my classes. My agility on the other hand is as strong as I hoped it would be. I'm seeing huge improvements in the edge control drills, nearing perfection on the inside edge and becoming increasingly stable on the outside, so while I can't outstride someone in a straight line, I can dangle left or right and get around.

So what sort of skate level should I be looking at and how exactly does it effect your skating, and what exactly do the beginner-expert levels mean? I'm looking for something for the long term, and will be playing 1-2 times a week. The more I play the better I get, so I don't want to stunt myself with a lower end pair. On the other end though how hard is it to learn skating with a skate about your level? Any help is appreciated.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
nexusrage21

A more advanced skater is going to have a deeper knee bend which is going to flex the boot more. Basically if your skate is too stiff you aren't going to be able to get as much forward flex, not stiff enough and you will beat up the boot.

Size (HT WT) also has an effect on this.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 04:16 AM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm looking to replace my generic 7 year old skates pretty quick and read through this, but could someone explain to me a bit better the factor 'skill level' plays on skates? What does the difference actually do when you're on the ice? Now I'm a beginner to hockey, started my first 12 session training program back in September, I'm doing the same program a second time now and will be starting in a HNA beginners league (11 practices, 11 games) on Wednesday. For size I'm 6', 190lbs.

The problem is I don't want to fit myself into a pair of beginners skates because skating is my strength, but I don't know what the skate level means exactly or how I should judge myself by it. Back in highschool I could run a hundred in under 12:00, and would use this to my advantage in any game I played, whether its soccer, football, basketball, etc, so I take to the rink with the same mindset. So far my stride is pretty mediocre, I can't seem to go any faster than anyone else who can skate in my classes. My agility on the other hand is as strong as I hoped it would be. I'm seeing huge improvements in the edge control drills, nearing perfection on the inside edge and becoming increasingly stable on the outside, so while I can't outstride someone in a straight line, I can dangle left or right and get around.

So what sort of skate level should I be looking at and how exactly does it effect your skating, and what exactly do the beginner-expert levels mean? I'm looking for something for the long term, and will be playing 1-2 times a week. The more I play the better I get, so I don't want to stunt myself with a lower end pair. On the other end though how hard is it to learn skating with a skate about your level? Any help is appreciated.
This is a tough one to answer as a lot of factors will come in to play. How much you are willing to spend obviously being an important one. Me being the kit ***** I am, like to splash out on a pair that fit perfectly and will go the distance in terms of durability. It looks like you are pretty dedicated already so I think you should go for something in the range of an intermediate - advanced level of skate, suiting your stye of play, as you said you will get better over time too. I wouldn't get top end skates just yet, but you will need a stiffer skate being the size and weight you are. Fundamentals and stride technique are key when learning to skate so I wouldn't worry too much about the 'best' just now.

Old
02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
DaveROR

OK Spoke with the shop that's about 45 minutes from here, they are open tonight so I'll head over there tonight and see what they have available.

I'll update the thread with whatever happens.

Old
02-05-2008, 06:22 PM
slapsh0t77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
i dont kno if your into the RBK style skates but i have the RBK 5K pumps and i love them, i get perfect edge control and i think they are an excellent pair of skates
What ever you do, DO NOT GET RBK PUMP SKATES. Dont get the 9K's, dont get the 7k's, and dont get the 5k's. Every single model of pump skates break within a year. A teammate and i had the 7ks, they broke in a year, my friend had 5's, they broke in about 8 months, and another kid on my team had the 9's, and they broke in a year. Even our goalie's pumps broke within 10 months. Do not buy pumps. When i say broke, i mean the pumps stop working and they drain of all their air within 10 minutes. They are amazing skates during the 8-12 months that they work, but do not buy them.

I would recommend trying on vapor xxv's, vector 6.0s, and maybe supreme 50/70's.

DO NOT BUY PUMPS

slapsh0t77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
hockeyfreak95*

Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
do you play hockey by any chance??

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
If you are really desperate for some selection you can always order a few pairs and see which you like better. Then just send the ones that do not fit back...but you're gonna be eating the shipping and restocking fee.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:12 PM
DaveROR

Went to the other hockey shop tonight, from the stock they had, a 8.5 D NB Supreme 50 fit best, but I think it was a little too big. They are going to order a 8.0 D so I can try that out. Would it be worth considering the Supreme 70 considering my HT/WT? (5'11" / 205-210lbs)

If so I'll try to get him to order the Supreme 70 in 8.0D as well.

The vapor series fit OK in a 8.5, but seemed to have a bit too much arch pressure. They didn't have any Graf's in my size.

I also tried on some CCM Vector 10's (all they had in an 8) and it fit good except for the instep/arch, and felt like a little too loose in the heel? Tried a few eastons as well, didn't seem to fit too well, one was close, but then the next size higher was less comfortable, but a different model. :shrug: Didn't try any RBKs, not interested in the pump, I would imagine they'd break like the shoes did..

Thanks,
-Dave

Last edited by DaveROR: 02-05-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old
02-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
I'm sure you guys are sick of seeing this thread.. but..

My LHS has a, shall we say, limited selection of skates in stock to try on, and the "help" leaves a lot to be desired. I know it's virtually impossible to provide an answer to this question but the more info I have the better educated guess I can make.

I am going to go to the next closest LHS on either tuesday or wednesday after work, perhaps they'll have a larger stock..

Anyways, the only skate I could try on that was even close to my size were some size 8.5D and then 10D NB Vapor's. I wear a 10-10.5 (depending on the shoe) D skate(board) shoe. I'm guessing I need a 9, but think (at least for Bauer) I'd need a wider skate.

Using rental skates I get some bad arch and some shin pain. Last time I don't remember the shin pain but had upper leg pain in my right leg only, but I may just be accustomed to having the shin pain so I just ignored it...

A few websites suggested that you measure your feet and send them the info for a better chance of getting a proper fit right away, I tried that and didn't get a response from those sites..

Here's the measurements in case it helps, both of my feet are ~10-7/16" long and 3-7/8" wide at the widest point (just behind the little toe) - with socks on, thicker socks than crew socks.... I think I have a moderate arch height or whatever it's call, not flat footed as far as I know.

I was looking at Nike Bauer skates, likely a Vapor XXV, partly because that's all the LHS had in stock in adult, non goalie skates and partly because I remember hearing good things about Bauer's from friends that played many years ago.

I am open to any brand to be honest, for $350 or less. I am a beginer but would rather get a better skate then one I'd have to replace in 6 months. I have experience on roller skates ("quads" I guess they are called now) but very little on ice skates.

I'm 5'11", 205lbs.

Any other info helpful?

Sorry about the long first post, I have most of my other gear selected, but with the beg. league starting March 1st, I'm hoping I can get the "right" skate the first time (fit wise at least).

Thanks in advance for any information!
I'm lucky in that I have 'Brians Pro Shop' in Windsor, ONT near my house. The guys that run that place are amazing. Buying skates there isn't like going to the local sports shop and merely trying them on like shoes and walking out. It's an experience. They'll size up your feet and give you the perfect skate for your foot. They even go so far as to manipulate the boot or blade so that it fits perfectly if you have oddly shaped feet.
These guys are so good that one of the owners was the 'skate guy' for the Canadian Olympic team in '06. And many NHL teams that come to town to play the Wings have stopped by to get skates or modifications to theirs.

Try to find a good place that gives the same kind of attention to detail. I know it's a stereotype to say this, but when I walk into a major sports chain like National Sports, Sportchek or Source for Sports, I'm leery of getting skates from some student or young kid who sees the job as only a job. You want to go somewhere that has people that are obsessed with hockey gear, skates in particular, that will give you what you need.

Good luck in finding something like that. It can be tough (and expensive) but in my mind it's worth it. I've had cheaper skates before that killed my feet and legs even after 2 years of use. It pays to get the proper fit.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
stick9

Quote:
Went to the other hockey shop tonight, from the stock they had, a 8.5 D NB Supreme 50 fit best, but I think it was a little too big. They are going to order a 8.0 D so I can try that out. Would it be worth considering the Supreme 70 considering my HT/WT? (5'11" / 205-210lbs)

If so I'll try to get him to order the Supreme 70 in 8.0D as well.

The vapor series fit OK in a 8.5, but seemed to have a bit too much arch pressure. They didn't have any Graf's in my size.

I also tried on some CCM Vector 10's (all they had in an 8) and it fit good except for the instep/arch, and felt like a little too loose in the heel? Tried a few eastons as well, didn't seem to fit too well, one was close, but then the next size higher was less comfortable, but a different model. :shrug: Didn't try any RBKs, not interested in the pump, I would imagine they'd break like the shoes did..

Thanks,
-Dave
If the Supremes fit, buy em. The 50 would be a decent skate for you. The 70's are a better skate, but also more $$$. If you can afford the jump in price, it would be worth considering.

Each model of Graf's have their own unique fit. A 703 might not fit but a 705 will. I skated in Grafs for 5+ years. While they are a great skate. They aren't something I would recommend to a novice or inexperienced skater. They have built in forward lean that can be hard to used to.

If the Vectors felt loose the RBK's probably won't fit.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Each model of Graf's have their own unique fit. A 703 might not fit but a 705 will. I skated in Grafs for 5+ years. While they are a great skate. They aren't something I would recommend to a novice or inexperienced skater. They have built in forward lean that can be hard to used to.
The pitch can easially be remedied though by switching holders or altering the profile on it. I wouldn't disuade him based on something like the pitch on the holder.

Anyway, like stick9 said, if the Supremes fit you then get those. I don't think you'd have any problems with the 70's if you wanted to go with those, should fit pretty simmilar to the 50's.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
DaveROR

Thanks for the info, I'm going to call the shop today and see if they can order some supreme 70's in 8.0 D instead of the supreme 50's in 8.0D, the price difference doesn't make a difference at this point.

Thanks for the info!

Old
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I wish I would have started skating on something with some forward pitch to it. Until I got mine profiled, I thought I was doing something wrong -- felt like I was dragging a midget around on my back trying to pull me backwards.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote