HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chimera Signed to a 4-Year Extension

Old
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Chimera Signed to a 4-Year Extension

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/02...xtension.shtml
WHAT?!?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Brassard Calder

WOW...didn't see that coming. Then again, Hitch has said that Chimmer and Boll are the two best forecheckers and forechecking is what Hitch preaches and loves. So I guess get used to the four offsides whistles a game. And I think this firmly states that Chimmer is a "Hitch guy"

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:41 AM
FiveHole23

Well, we like to be offsides.

I really dont question any moves Howson has makes. He hasnt given me reason to second guess him yet. Hes making 1M this year, so its more than that if he stayed under the 2M mark id say its pretty good signing.

You do have to take into account the guy is 3rd on team in goals with 9. However much that is worth.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:44 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Ideally, Chimera will only be a 3rd or 4th line player in the future. He's a good forechecker that can chip in some goals. I'm betting he took at pay cut for the length....

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post

I really dont question any moves Howson has makes. He hasnt given me reason to second guess him yet. Hes making 1M this year, so its more than that if he stayed under the 2M mark id say its pretty good signing.

You do have to take into account the guy is 3rd on team in goals with 9. However much that is worth.
Yeah - I would have to guess that the amount of coin he will be receiving per year will be pretty reasonable since he got a good contract term. Let's see how the numbers shake out before we start making judgements on this.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
WrightOn

I like it.

I think Jason is still reaching his potential.

Let Hitch keep molding him. Cool.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post

Yeah I can't judge this move without numbers. I'd like to think got him for no more than 1.5 per, but what do I know.

Chimera is a fine 3rd line wing(B+), being asked to play on the 2nd scoring line along side Zherdev atm. Its easy to pick his game apart right now because he's being stretched. I don't think long term he should be on our 2nd line, but I like what he brings to the 3rd line alot.

He's a great team player, leaves it on the ice, and when he can he makes up for a lack of flashy skill with alot of effort and of course, great speed.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Aging Goalie

I am hoping that we got a good $ for him since he is having an off year. What suprises me is that there was absolutely no mention of the negotiations going on.....nothing at all!!! Who else is secretly being negotiated behind the scenes. I would say Leclaire is probably high on the list.

Who knows maybe with the pressure of a contract year off of him maybe Chimera will find his game again. He may just be the reverse of most players who seem to light it up on contract years. Stranger things have happened.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
mossylog
Go jackets

not happy at all with this, this guy is terrible. like everyone says he's offsides all the time and hitch has publicly said that chimera needs to go to the beach and practice his shot. and how many times can a guy get scoring chances from z and completly flubb it up? isn't he one of the guys that constantly has a minus because of his lack of backchecking. i like his speed and i think he does lay everything out on the ice but we need scoring not someone that is there. i would package him with vybes and brule for some prospects or a scorer or playmaker, 3 for 1 anything to get some scoring. and i know some will say but he's been scoring, hell i could score with the feeds he's getting from z.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
MFRONE

Terrible, that's all I can really say about this deal

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:01 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I am hoping that we got a good $ for him since he is having an off year. What suprises me is that there was absolutely no mention of the negotiations going on.....nothing at all!!! Who else is secretly being negotiated behind the scenes. I would say Leclaire is probably high on the list.

Who knows maybe with the pressure of a contract year off of him maybe Chimera will find his game again. He may just be the reverse of most players who seem to light it up on contract years. Stranger things have happened.
It wouldn't surprise me if Howson wanted to get this off the table quicky, since I suspect this was a fairly simple negotiation. Chimmer knows his role, knows he isn't gonna make big bucks, and probably took the first fair offer. Plus, in the scope of free agent signings/potential deadline moves, Chimmer is lower on the list of importance. Doesn't surprise me that there wasn't much mention of it.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Had to have seen this coming. I would bet Novotny is next. Who is out on the ice when we're down by one with a minute left. Nash, Zherdev, Novotny, Chimera, Peca, Hainsey - almost every time. Ideally he wont be put in that position for the next four years, but as a third or fourth liner he does his job... Just get him away from Zherdev

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Howson wanted to get this off the table quicky, since I suspect this was a fairly simple negotiation. Chimmer knows his role, knows he isn't gonna make big bucks, and probably took the first fair offer. Plus, in the scope of free agent signings/potential deadline moves, Chimmer is lower on the list of importance. Doesn't surprise me that there wasn't much mention of it.
I was seeing him as possibly one that needed to start getting ready for a change of scenery before the deadline though. I could have seen him being decent trading stock.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
MFRONE

I think Novo has an option year on his contract for next season

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Terrible, that's all I can really say about this deal

Hypothetical question for ya. If we got him locked in for 1-1.5 mill over 3 years, and use him as a 3rd liner + occasaional PK, is that terrible?

I would only use the word terrible if they gave him 2 million + a year and penciled him in on the 2nd line for next season.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Anything more than $1 million plus incentives is overpayment for this player on a 4 year term

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

the problem with this deal is that hitch is using him on the 2nd line with z and that's horrible. looking at the lines and we right now are using him as a top 6 is ridiculous.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I was seeing him as possibly one that needed to start getting ready for a change of scenery before the deadline though. I could have seen him being decent trading stock.
I was beginning to think that too. Maybe Hitch stood up for him.

Either way, if we got him at 1.5 - 2 per, then it's a good signing IMHO.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
jore

If he's cheap, I could understand it. Still, it's a very long contract to a guy who won't be more than 3rd liner on a playoff caliber team. Two or 3 year would have been enough, we could have signed him again after that if he's needed. Chimera isn't a player to build your franchise around in my eyes. Let's hope he won't suffer concussion or any other problems, I'd hate to be stuck with another lousy player with a long term contract.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
FiveHole23

As much as I dont like Chims with Z who else are you going to put on the 2nd line with him?

Boll?
Murray?
Brule?

Face it we are a team of 3rd and 4th line minus 4 players on a good night.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossylog View Post
the problem with this deal is that hitch is using him on the 2nd line with z and that's horrible. looking at the lines and we right now are using him as a top 6 is ridiculous.
yeah, but I think people are looking past how much we need Modin and Fedorov right now. They have created glaring holes. Our top six have become "Nash's line" and "Zherdev's line" it doesnt matter who they are with. It just happens to be that the four players most talented and ready players are Novotny, Vyborny, Chimera, and Peca...

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
pipe dreams

what a shock to me. I had him on my trade list. I like him but not a very important piece IMHO. and 4 years?????

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossylog View Post
With 2 of our top 6 guys hurt, other guys have to be moved up. If Modin and Fedorov were healthy, I doubt Chimera would be playing with Z. I'm sure Hitch has him with Z because he trusts him more than our younger guys.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
FiveHole23

Just because he signed doesnt mean he wont get traded.

Its not like Chimera was a prized rental or anything. If anything(depending on salary) this may make him more attractive on the trade market.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
cbj21

yess! This means allot more choo-choo during games on telly

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote