HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Our defense...who stays and who goes?

Old
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars-Preds View Post
First: stay the heck away from Ladislov Nagy. The Stars acquired him last season for the playoff run (for a first rounder) and he was terrible. Soft player, not clutch, didn't do anything in the playoffs. Seriously, he is horrible and overrated.

Second: I would love to do Cammy for Suter. Not sure if that's enough for the Kings. I have a friend who is a big Kings guy and he seems to think it would cost a little more to get Cammy (everyone wants Weber, but we are obviously not trading him).

Third: I would really like the see the Preds shop guys who probably aren't going to be a factor when this team is ready to win again (guys like Bonk, Gelinas, De Vries, etc.) or players who may not be here next season (Dumont for example). We could really capitalize on their value by acquiring additional draft picks or prospects.
Nagy might've been that way with the Stars but so far with the Kings he's been fairly gritty. He hasn't been horrible this year, maybe it was the Stars system...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
dulzhok

Camerelli would be pretty good. However, I wouldn't do it. He's UFA after next year.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Any interest in an swap with Afinogenov and Klein as the principals from each team? Max is coming off a groin injury and hasn't played much since the new year turned and hasn't gotten a full year under his belt since he broke his wrist last season. But he's signed at $3.3 million and is a playmaking type top-6 winger.

02-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Any interest in an swap with Afinogenov and Klein as the principals from each team? Max is coming off a groin injury and hasn't played much since the new year turned and hasn't gotten a full year under his belt since he broke his wrist last season. But he's signed at $3.3 million and is a playmaking type top-6 winger.
we don't need any more playmakers who won't shoot the puck

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
we don't need any more playmakers who won't shoot the puck
Max was 74th in shots per game last year and 36th the year before. Not sure what player your thinking of, but he has not issue with pulling the trigger.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I would do it. However, I do not think Poile would just because of the perception of not playing defense.

Value wise, I think Afinogenov is more valuable.

02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I would do it. However, I do not think Poile would just because of the perception of not playing defense.

Value wise, I think Afinogenov is more valuable.

I'm sure the oft-mentioned draftpicks or eveners can be brought to bear.

That said, Max tweaked his groin again pushing it in practice today, so he's probably off the eligible trade list and back on the shelf.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Should/would we offer Klein, Suter + our 1st to Atlanta for Hossa

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Should/would we offer Klein, Suter + our 1st to Atlanta for Hossa
that's too much to pay for a rental. We didn't give up any "real" assets for Forsberg.

Now, if Poile knew that he was going to go balls to the wall to sign Hossa to an extension...then yes...but aside from that, we're too much of a bubble team to pay that kind of price.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:16 PM
HalfOfFame*

Janne Niskala is too good for AHL

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:40 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Hey guys, with your logjam on defense, and New Jerseys need for a puck moving dman, would there be anything on the Devils that interests you?

I hear you also need to take back some salary as your pretty close to the floor?? (correct me if im wrong!!)

Klein is a player that really intrigues me, and I think he would look great playing with Paul Martin. Would somthing around Niklas Bergfors and a pick sound good??

Bergfors hasnt be able to find a grove in the AHL, mainly because he has played with nobody as offensively gifted as him, on his line or behind in the defensive pairs, add to the fact that Lowell play the worst trap in the AHL, his production has been terrible.

I think he would blossom out West, and in your system, and would be a mainstay on your second line. Bergfors is supposed to be similar to Patrik Elias. You might even be able to play him with Arnott and Dumont and get something special going?

Also, for obvious reason, Suter would be a quality addition to the Devils, would you guys have any interest in Brian Gionta. Brian can help out anybody's PP and is at his best with a playmaking defensman behind him (Zidlicky, Weber??) as shown by his production when Rafalski was in NJ.

Thanks guys!!

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Hey guys, with your logjam on defense, and New Jerseys need for a puck moving dman, would there be anything on the Devils that interests you?

I hear you also need to take back some salary as your pretty close to the floor?? (correct me if im wrong!!)

Klein is a player that really intrigues me, and I think he would look great playing with Paul Martin. Would somthing around Niklas Bergfors and a pick sound good??

Bergfors hasnt be able to find a grove in the AHL, mainly because he has played with nobody as offensively gifted as him, on his line or behind in the defensive pairs, add to the fact that Lowell play the worst trap in the AHL, his production has been terrible.

I think he would blossom out West, and in your system, and would be a mainstay on your second line. Bergfors is supposed to be similar to Patrik Elias. You might even be able to play him with Arnott and Dumont and get something special going?

Also, for obvious reason, Suter would be a quality addition to the Devils, would you guys have any interest in Brian Gionta. Brian can help out anybody's PP and is at his best with a playmaking defensman behind him (Zidlicky, Weber??) as shown by his production when Rafalski was in NJ.

Thanks guys!!
I'd love to get a guy like Bergfors! Would he really only cost Klein? I thought his value was higher then that. Regardless, I'd like to see Predators get him.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I'd love to get a guy like Bergfors! Would he really only cost Klein? I thought his value was higher then that. Regardless, I'd like to see Predators get him.
The Devils defense is poor, they are winning with smoke and mirrors and riding Brodeur, we sorely need someone to step into a #2 role, and I can see Suter or Klein doint that for the Devils.

I was going to offer up Gionta + for Suter, what would you guys take for Suter?

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
The Devils defense is poor, they are winning with smoke and mirrors and riding Brodeur, we sorely need someone to step into a #2 role, and I can see Suter or Klein doint that for the Devils.

I was going to offer up Gionta + for Suter, what would you guys take for Suter?
I have no idea about Suter. Obviously he's a RFA this summer and the Predators still have Weber and Erat to sign as well. With a logjam already up front and many more good defensive prospects, Suter could be offered up as tradebait. He is still a great prospect.

I think if Suter is traded however, it would be for young talent or draft picks and not a player making $4,000,000 unless we move someone else too. Gionta would be a great player for us and would fit well with Trotz's gameplan, but I can't see us taking on that much salary.

Old
02-06-2008, 11:25 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
The Preds are 7th in the west in GA/G, and 7th in the standings. They're ranked 4th in the west in GF/G. If you ask me, the offense is fine. I'd focus more on playing better defensively, and I'd bet the coaching staff would agree.

I'm not sure why the Preds would be trading any of their defencemen at all to be quite honest, but there are really only two things I would have to say if they ever did.

- Keep Hamhuis
- Keep Weber

I don't care what's being offered, these guys are the core of this defence, and anything being offered likely isn't enough.

DeVries - He's been one of your best defenceman this year, but he's on the downswing of his career and is a UFA after next season. On a defence as young as this, it's important to have vets like him who can still do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Suter - Only if he wants a boat load of money on his next contract, would I entertain moving him. He's a solid defenceman who is only going to get better.

Zidlicky - I would look at moving him if I had to, but I don't know who the Preds would have to take his place on the powerplay.

Klein - If you need to make room, send him to the minors. He'd probably benefit from the icetime, and he really isn't doing much to help the team win hockey games. Trotz shelters him quite a bit, and he still doesn't make much happen. He bleeds goals against, and just isn't very effective at this point in his career. If he would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL, then make him a healthy scratch and send down a forward.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The Preds are 7th in the west in GA/G, and 7th in the standings. They're ranked 4th in the west in GF/G. If you ask me, the offense is fine. I'd focus more on playing better defensively, and I'd bet the coaching staff would agree.

I'm not sure why the Preds would be trading any of their defencemen at all to be quite honest, but there are really only two things I would have to say if they ever did.

- Keep Hamhuis
- Keep Weber

I don't care what's being offered, these guys are the core of this defence, and anything being offered likely isn't enough.

DeVries - He's been one of your best defenceman this year, but he's on the downswing of his career and is a UFA after next season. On a defence as young as this, it's important to have vets like him who can still do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Suter - Only if he wants a boat load of money on his next contract, would I entertain moving him. He's a solid defenceman who is only going to get better.

Zidlicky - I would look at moving him if I had to, but I don't know who the Preds would have to take his place on the powerplay.

Klein - If you need to make room, send him to the minors. He'd probably benefit from the icetime, and he really isn't doing much to help the team win hockey games. Trotz shelters him quite a bit, and he still doesn't make much happen. He bleeds goals against, and just isn't very effective at this point in his career. If he would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL, then make him a healthy scratch and send down a forward.
You make some good points, but I think the idea is asset management. We've been scoring goals...but most of that is coming from one line, which has been one of the best in the entire NHL this year. One-line teams are the ones that get shut down in a seven game series. We've got 2\3s of a great second line in David Legwand and Martin Erat...but are being stymied by the fact that often times, it's...at best...Jordin Tootoo on the right wing, and at worst...Vernon Fiddler or Scott Nichol. Meanwhile, we've got 8 defensemen, at least one of the extra two is being wasted on the bench. We're not talking about trading Weber or Hamhuis...and likely not even Suter...but there's guys like Klein and Koistinen that could be playing elsewhere. Parlaying these guys into something that can contribute makes the team better without giving up anything that would hurt us immediately.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
You make some good points, but I think the idea is asset management. We've been scoring goals...but most of that is coming from one line, which has been one of the best in the entire NHL this year. One-line teams are the ones that get shut down in a seven game series. We've got 2\3s of a great second line in David Legwand and Martin Erat...but are being stymied by the fact that often times, it's...at best...Jordin Tootoo on the right wing, and at worst...Vernon Fiddler or Scott Nichol. Meanwhile, we've got 8 defensemen, at least one of the extra two is being wasted on the bench. We're not talking about trading Weber or Hamhuis...and likely not even Suter...but there's guys like Klein and Koistinen that could be playing elsewhere. Parlaying these guys into something that can contribute makes the team better without giving up anything that would hurt us immediately.
While you may need another top 6 winger, I don't see a guy like Klein or Koistinen being enough to get that. The fact is, every team in the league has a couple of defencemen just like them in their system, and would prefer to give their own guys a shot before trading players off their roster for someone else's.

If you can turn Klein into something that will help you today, then I'm all for it. I just don't see it happening, and he can still be a useful player, just not now. I also don't think it'll kill him to spend some more time in the minors. You've been pretty fortunate to have had young guys on defence who were able to step up and play right away, but most defencemen can't at 21 or 22 (not sure how old Klein is exactly).

Old
02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
While you may need another top 6 winger, I don't see a guy like Klein or Koistinen being enough to get that. The fact is, every team in the league has a couple of defencemen just like them in their system, and would prefer to give their own guys a shot before trading players off their roster for someone else's.

If you can turn Klein into something that will help you today, then I'm all for it. I just don't see it happening, and he can still be a useful player, just not now. I also don't think it'll kill him to spend some more time in the minors. You've been pretty fortunate to have had young guys on defence who were able to step up and play right away, but most defencemen can't at 21 or 22 (not sure how old Klein is exactly).
Klein would have to be subjected to waivers if we tried to send him to Milwaukee.

Old
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

no one thinks or believes we can get a top six forward for klein alone, but packaged with one of our first round picks, one of our second round picks, etc...there's no reason we can't land another second line wing for that. Suter's name is only being mentioned as a guy we could possibly dangle to land a bigger fish...especially when it's considered that both Weber and Suter are due for decent raises this summer

Old
02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
no one thinks or believes we can get a top six forward for klein alone, but packaged with one of our first round picks, one of our second round picks, etc...there's no reason we can't land another second line wing for that. Suter's name is only being mentioned as a guy we could possibly dangle to land a bigger fish...especially when it's considered that both Weber and Suter are due for decent raises this summer
I guess I must've misinterpreted where this thread was going. In any event, if I were the GM of the Preds, I'd still focus more on upgrading the defence than the forward group. If I'm traing Klein and a 1st, I'd be looking for a vetran defenceman to pair up with Weber (assuming it's Hamhuis and De Vries on the top pair).

Old
02-09-2008, 11:28 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
I guess I must've misinterpreted where this thread was going. In any event, if I were the GM of the Preds, I'd still focus more on upgrading the defence than the forward group. If I'm traing Klein and a 1st, I'd be looking for a vetran defenceman to pair up with Weber (assuming it's Hamhuis and De Vries on the top pair).
This really mystifies me...Our defense could use another stay at home type guy and a little rearranging but our glaring weakness right now is a winger for the second line.

Now, if we can get the top six winger that we need and as part of the "fill in" players could be a decenst stay at home guy then great.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
We are a one line team. We need more scoring depth if we want to make the playoffs.

Old
02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
bubbabalue

How come Koistinen hasn't been in the line up lately? He had been playing a ton on the PP, and I had read posts a few weeks back saying that he was good defensively and seemed to have chemistry with Zids.

Is he a NHL caliber D man?

bubbabalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbabalue View Post
How come Koistinen hasn't been in the line up lately? He had been playing a ton on the PP, and I had read posts a few weeks back saying that he was good defensively and seemed to have chemistry with Zids.

Is he a NHL caliber D man?
he hit a rough stretch and wasn't playing as well. he got in the lineup tonight, though.

Old
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
predfan4life247

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...802110386/1028

Interesting comments regarding Klein. Also funny to me that Zanon reads all the rumor sites...

predfan4life247 is offline   Reply With Quote