HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate selection (yes that question again...)

Old
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsh0t77 View Post
What ever you do, DO NOT GET RBK PUMP SKATES. Dont get the 9K's, dont get the 7k's, and dont get the 5k's. Every single model of pump skates break within a year. A teammate and i had the 7ks, they broke in a year, my friend had 5's, they broke in about 8 months, and another kid on my team had the 9's, and they broke in a year. Even our goalie's pumps broke within 10 months. Do not buy pumps. When i say broke, i mean the pumps stop working and they drain of all their air within 10 minutes. They are amazing skates during the 8-12 months that they work, but do not buy them.

I would recommend trying on vapor xxv's, vector 6.0s, and maybe supreme 50/70's.

DO NOT BUY PUMPS
That's weird.

I've had my pumps for 2 going on 3 years now and they work just as well as when I got them. And I play 3-4 times a week.

02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
That's weird.

I've had my pumps for 2 going on 3 years now and they work just as well as when I got them. And I play 3-4 times a week.
i agree my friend has had his pumps for 2+ years and he says his pumps work fine

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:57 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
The pitch can easially be remedied though by switching holders or altering the profile on it. I wouldn't disuade him based on something like the pitch on the holder.
True... I was thinking, swaping holders would be a lot to go through for someone just starting out. That was kind of why I didn't recommend them. Plus, I know what's it like to break in a pair of Grafs. It can be a long and painful process, even after baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
I wish I would have started skating on something with some forward pitch to it. Until I got mine profiled, I thought I was doing something wrong -- felt like I was dragging a midget around on my back trying to pull me backwards.
LOL great mental image.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
slapsh0t77

All I'm doing is giving a reccomendation and my experience with pumps was awful. There was 5 players on my team, including me, whos pumps broke within a year, and im on the ice 4-5 times a week. I was just very disapointed with the durabilty. They are great skates while they last, but I just wouldnt want anyone else to spend $300+ on skates and for them to break within a year.

slapsh0t77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Well, I went shopping on Saturday, and settled on a pair of 705 grafs. Will be picking them up later this week as they had to order a size smaller. Sucks that I have to miss my Sunday and Monday ice times, but I can't wait. Now that I've been properly fitted and know what to look for, I can't believe how bad the Koho's I have fit. I have a good bit of wiggle room in the toes, and can stand up at least a centimeter on my heels, to the point where I can basically stand up on my toes in them. At the very least they don't hurt my feet, but being a size or two too big helps there.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:04 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Taking good care of skates by hanging them upside down, taking the insoles out will add a lot to the lifetime of your skates. Your skate rivets will also thank you for keeping them dry.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote