HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did Goc played in his first HNL game?

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 02:04 PM
mkc2

vCash: 500
How did Goc play in his first HNL game?

How did Goc play in his first HNL game? Thanks!

Old
04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc2
How did Goc play in his first HNL game? Thanks!
Well, from the comments on sjsharks.com, they were pretty impressed. He got an assist in his first NHL game (a playoff game no less), plus it was on the game winning goal in the series winning game. Not bad I'd say. I've watched him in Cleveland all season and he is definitely a good 2 way player and faceoff man.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Double O Soul

I was impressed as well, this coming from an impartial observer. He cycled the puck well in the zone, and didnt look out of place

Old
04-16-2004, 03:35 PM
glennzky

I was at the game and I thought he looked like he fit in. I wouldn't hesitate to play him again this season if I were coach. He Handled the puck well, used good body positioning, and played the system. I think he will get more of a chance next year as well.

Old
04-16-2004, 05:19 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzky
I wouldn't hesitate to play him again this season if I were coach. He Handled the puck well, used good body positioning, and played the system. I think he will get more of a chance next year as well.
Exactly, especially when the person he was up against for the last forward spot in the lineup was Parker. No offense to big Parker, but Wilson doesn't trust him with enough minutes to dress him in the playoffs... even with the shortened bench that Wilson used last night.

Old
04-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Kevin Wey

Watching the tape, as I missed most of the game last night while at the gym. Goc's first shift looked awkward and he was favoring his right leg when skating. (Hip or leg bothering him or skate blade)

Shift 2: Very short after whistle.

Shift 3: Still favoring leg, now has longer stride with left leg than right leg. Shortened by St. Louis penalty.

Shift 4: Very nice shift, moving the puck well. Fanned on a one-time attempt.

Shift 5: Another decent shift, still favoring a leg slightly. (Unless I didn't notice this quirk last time, although he's skating at the Tank... )

Shift 6: Somewhat lucky forecheck swing to prevent that pass for the assist. That's effort over skill.

Shift 7: Stride looking a little better. Another solid NHL 4th line shift.

Shift 8: Looks a bit afraid to get hit, maybe why he's fanning occasionally on attempted shots.

A fair NHL debut, certainly not a liability. He'll have to show more at the NHL level to prove to me he deserves a spot on San Jose when the team is healthy going into next year. (Re-enter Sturm, McCauley, Thornton and Michalek, yeah, Damphousse, Ricci and Harvey may be gone, but still no spot for Goc in my opinion.)

I mentioned in another thread trading Thornton and Max thought I was nuts, but how much POWER does Thornton play with anymore? He doesn't score THAT much either. Clowe would play more physical and any scoring lost from Thornton can easily be recovered, notably Michalek, should he be on the third line instead. That said, considering injuries, I wouldn't doubt it if Goc splits next year in San Jose. (Which is kind of on schedule really...)

But if Smith is a scratch and Goc is on the fourth line I'll lose it. I like Goc more, (which has nothing to do with ability, talent, etc,) but Smith deserves to play more than Goc. If Harvey were to accept a pay cut, I'd certainly accept his return as well. (I imagine another NHL team will take him, but he's rescued his NHL career I'd think.) Maybe Calgary or Chicago will come calling for Harvey. (Sutters...)

Old
04-16-2004, 07:58 PM
JoeLH

It was a huge thing for Goc, to step in the NHL for a playoff game as first overall in the league. I think, like in the "A", he needs some time to get used to the playing level, but I'm sure he is able to become a solid 3rd or 4th-line, and with a little bit of luck and Sturm's work ethic, 2nd line Center in the NHL. But let's wait and see ...

Old
04-17-2004, 01:40 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Apparently he had a case of the butterflies on game day after the
morning skate (it ends around noon!). How could you not be nervous

More Smiles -

Old
04-17-2004, 11:52 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Goc was got an A for his first game.... No one has even bothered to mention he was 66.7% on his face offs witch is huge for any player expecially on the Sharks

Closed Thread