HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much $$$ will Weber ask for this summer ???

Old
01-14-2008, 12:06 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
How much $$$ will Weber ask for this summer ???

I didn't see any threads regarding this subject, so if there's one I didn't see... I'm sorry.

Shea Weber is a mean m*ther *****er !!! Everybody seems to compare his style of play to the one of Dion Phaneuf... and that ain't really a bad thing. Both guys are listed as RFA'S. He had a breakout year last season puting up Phaneuf like numbers with 40 points in 79 games and killing people all over the place in the same process. But now he's in his contract year and only played 16 of the 44 games up until today and he's still on the IR list (according to TSN).

Do you guy's think that the injury will cost him some big bucks once the negociations get started ??? (I know it can't help but I want a global idea of the kind of contract Weber is going to land for you guys. will it be +/- or = then Phaneuf)

Thanks

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:21 AM
The Fuhr

One year 1.5 and then he will try to stay healthy and cash in big at seasons end.

Maybe a three year 7.5 million dollar deal the Preds will try to pass on him cause of the injuries.

Those are the two options for Weber.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Street Hawk

Offer sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
One year 1.5 and then he will try to stay healthy and cash in big at seasons end.

Maybe a three year 7.5 million dollar deal the Preds will try to pass on him cause of the injuries.

Those are the two options for Weber.
If either of those offers are tendered to Weber and his agent, I think you can expect them to reject them and they will got looking for an offersheet from another team.

And I would fully expect them to get one. 6'3 210 plus lbs Right hand shot Dmen that can eat 25 minutes a game, have a cannon for a shot and go against the opponents best forwards are highly sought after players.

Despite Weber's injuries, the Preds have to come at him with their best offer and I don't think your 2 options will get a contract done with Weber.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 02:28 AM
voxel

At least what Brent Burns makes if the contract is long term (i.e eats into UFA years). Weber is one of the best young D-men around (other than Phaneuf + Bouwmeester).

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Street Hawk

Phaneuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
At least what Brent Burns makes if the contract is long term (i.e eats into UFA years). Weber is one of the best young D-men around (other than Phaneuf + Bouwmeester).
If Dion Phaneuf signs a contract in the next little while, I would fully expect the Weber camp to use that as the measuring stick of the type of contract they want. If we're talking 6 million or more per season with Phaneuf, I think you're looking at least 5 million or more for Shea.

I believe Weber rates higher than guys like Burns, Carle, Bieksa, etc. who all scored around 3.5 million per season deals after their ELC. Bieksa, however got 3.75 because he would have been UFA at the end of this season.

As I said, I think Shea will get an offersheet if the Preds don't step up and get him signed soon.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Nordique

3-4mill per.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:19 PM
braindead

I'm thinking 5M per year for 5 years average.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

6 years 24 million IMO

01-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
One MILLION dollars. ::bum bum bum::

In all honesty though I think he could probably as for around 3.25/year for 3-5 years

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 08:18 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
6 years 24 million IMO
seconded

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

That's what Ryan Whitney gets. On the strenght of that 4 million per for Weber is a steal.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
braindead

Now we have a data point: Phaneuf for 6 years at $6.5M per year. I think some, maybe all, of our estimates are under what it will take. 6 years at $4M per year is dreaming.

Maybe 3 or 4 years at $4-5M?

For 6 years.... nothing less than $5.5M per year.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Now we have a data point: Phaneuf for 6 years at $6.5M per year. I think some, maybe all, of our estimates are under what it will take. 6 years at $4M per year is dreaming.

Maybe 3 or 4 years at $4-5M?

For 6 years.... nothing less than $5.5M per year.
phaneuf as a measuring stick doesn't really work, given that he's more proven than weber at this point. I see another stopgap deal...2 years at 2.5 maybe...as a challenge to Weber to make himself worth more. Now..if he takes it..that's another story. He could hold out, knowing the events of this summer could drive his price up...but we'll see, i guess.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Phaneuf's signing would have been a measurable IF Weber had played the year healthy. His injury is really a huge benefit to us. If he signs a short term deal, think 2.5-3 million. If he re-ups for 4-6 years, think something around the neighborhood of Ryan Whitney. I think Whitney's deal is the perfect measurable for Weber.....To be honest, though, Weber's numbers are lower than both Whitney and Phaneuf's numbers. Therefore, I think we should lower the expectations from 6.5 to around 4......unless someone hits him with an offer sheet in the Penner range (not multiple first rounders, but a first and a third.)

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:17 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Weber's injury plagued season may well result in a short term deal for now. Preds would likely jump on it, as it keeps their hands free for now...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
braindead

So Weber doesn't wait and see on offer sheets and no team offers up a Phaneuf-ish or Phaneuf-lite deal to him? I don't buy it. Injury or not, I think multiple teams would line up to offer more than Whitney and more than the stop-gap suggested-- even after having to give picks to the Preds.

I hope you guys are right but I have trouble seeing why Weber wouldn't wait and see.... and then seeing someone showing him the benjamins.

Old
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
dulzhok

I have trouble seeing a team offering a Phanuef level contract to Weber. That's FOUR FIRST ROUNDERS. Weber is awesome, but he's no Ovechkin or anything. Fact is, he's still pretty unproven. While he projects to be a top d-man in the league, right now, there are 20-30 better than him.

When teams see Anaheim picking in the top 3 this year, they are going to get really shy on giving up 4 first rounders. Ovechkin- sure. Weber- I have my doubts.

As this CBA has played out, is becoming how apparent it SUCKS. What everyone thought was a win for the NHL, has been a total win for the players. The new jerseys sales are going to drive the cap even more.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 08:50 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
If Dion Phaneuf signs a contract in the next little while, I would fully expect the Weber camp to use that as the measuring stick of the type of contract they want. If we're talking 6 million or more per season with Phaneuf, I think you're looking at least 5 million or more for Shea.

I believe Weber rates higher than guys like Burns, Carle, Bieksa, etc. who all scored around 3.5 million per season deals after their ELC. Bieksa, however got 3.75 because he would have been UFA at the end of this season.

As I said, I think Shea will get an offersheet if the Preds don't step up and get him signed soon.
I can see $3.5M/yr for two years (short-term) or $4.5M for 4-5 years.

I suspect Weber will get a 5 year offersheet - $4.5M/yr - he's in the grey area where he's not worth four 1sts, but is worth a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I can see $3.5M/yr for two years (short-term) or $4.5M for 4-5 years.

I suspect Weber will get a 5 year offersheet - $4.5M/yr - he's in the grey area where he's not worth four 1sts, but is worth a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
Weber will get just below Paneuf only because of the injuries. Shea will get 5.5 - 6M per year and if he doesn't get it he will on a offer sheet. I don't believe in offer sheets and hopefully Shea doesn't also, but he might play that card?

He's not worth four first rounders? Any team (not including Burke) will sign him to a offer sheet and give up four first rounders in a heart beat!

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:50 PM
braindead

Dredging this back up now that the deal is done...