HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

04 EDM 1st, will draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
I think the oilers will trade at least one of their first round picks this year. A 14th doesn't guaranttee anything for the next 3 years and we have so many prospects now that we could easily forego another one.

I hope that montoya or schwartz are available because goaltenders seem to have a real wildcard nature to them. a team like ott or detroit could fall in love with one of those guys and make an offer Lowe can't refuse.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
I am left with thinking that Lowe will NOT move up in the draft. At least one of Thelen, Green, Chipchura, Schwarz & Montoya will be available at the 14th pick and Lowe will be happy with that.

YKOil
I am totally with your line of thinking on this one buddy, though Picard and Tukonen intrigue me.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:36 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
I am totally with your line of thinking on this one buddy, though Picard and Tukonen intrigue me.
If Picard & Tukonen are gone by the 14th, then Id say either Sindel, Stafford or Ladislav Smid. Im very leery of spending that pick on a goalie (unless we're talking about a Kari Lehtonen-type goalie). Deslauriers was drafted as a top rated goalie 2 years ago. He's so far progressing very nicely. He may be in a position to be a solid backup/beginning starter in 2-3 years. So by 2007 our 2002 top rated goalie draft pick may pan out. Im not sure how much the fanbase is willing to wait on another high draft goalie prospect untill the 2009/10 season.

Old
04-17-2004, 02:38 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
If Picard & Tukonen are gone by the 14th, then Id say either Sindel, Stafford or Ladislav Smid. Im very leery of spending that pick on a goalie (unless we're talking about a Kari Lehtonen-type goalie). Deslauriers was drafted as a top rated goalie 2 years ago. He's so far progressing very nicely. He may be in a position to be a solid backup/beginning starter in 2-3 years. So by 2007 our 2002 top rated goalie draft pick may pan out. Im not sure how much the fanbase is willing to wait on another high draft goalie prospect untill the 2009/10 season.
Must keep in consideration that there's still a very good chance of JDD busting. Is one goalie enough to bank on? Having said that, I also wouldn't use the 14th on a goalie. After that, if there's one the staff like, then do it.

Old
04-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Must keep in consideration that there's still a very good chance of JDD busting. Is one goalie enough to bank on? Having said that, I also wouldn't use the 14th on a goalie. After that, if there's one the staff like, then do it.
There's alot of clubs banking on one goalie, with the rest of them being Moss's and Morisson's. We're maybe not in as good a position as Atlanta, Philly or Boston, but JDD is nothing to scoff at, when's the last time the Oilers had a goalie like him in the system? I think that was dealt with in another thread.

Old
04-17-2004, 10:43 AM
GorillazXL

Windowlicker makes a good point about how long it will take to develop a goalie from a draft. Expectations of having JDD a starter in three years, as Boondock pointed out earlier; are fairly high expectations. A good drafting strategy from the Oilers point of view would be like this:

1. Trade for a top ten pick, at the moment the Oilers have quite a bit of NHL ready forwards and by next year an excess amount on the d as well.

2. Draft a forward with a good offensive upside and is well rounded (Tukonen, Picard, Chipchura ).

3. Draft a goalie (Dubnyk, Montoya, Schwarz) or draft a Sindel, Radulov, or Lisin type player (guys with huge offensive upside, but not quite complete with the all around game)

4. In the second round if a goalie hasn't been selected byt he Oilers yet, draft a goalie, if the second 1st round pick has been used for a goalie, draft a defenseman like Funk, Sersen, Scultz, Smid, Mesaroz if not a goaltender like Ellis (and by a miracle maybe Dubnyk) would be around.

I think this could be a good draft for the Oilers.

GXL

Old
04-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockzky
There's alot of clubs banking on one goalie, with the rest of them being Moss's and Morisson's. We're maybe not in as good a position as Atlanta, Philly or Boston, but JDD is nothing to scoff at, when's the last time the Oilers had a goalie like him in the system? I think that was dealt with in another thread.
Just because other team's are banking on one goalie, how does that mean we should? Even if JDD develops well, and becomes a great goalie, we should have another in the system if he decides he's worth more money than the Oil can give him. Like I've said, I don't want to use our top pick on a goalie, but if there's one they like a lot as a group with any other picks(preferably 2nd round), then take him. We're starting to get into an orginizational point where we need to have the chips to throw in from any position when the time comes. Forward depth, especially grinders and such is high. Defensive depth looks very good as well. Goal we have JDD, which while nice, isn't enough IMO. We don't look to have any game breakers, and barring a fluke (ie Brodziak continues to tear it up and brings it the NHL), we won't be having one unless we draft one in the 1st this year. My ideal strategy would get 2 snipers with the 2 1st's, preferably RW, and then with a 2nd rounder, get a goalie if a good one is still around. Then after that, entirely BPA.

Closed Thread