HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Mason/Lidstrom recalled

Old
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
FiveHole23

vCash: 500
Why are you so upset? I dont get it.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
It had nothing to do with bad asset management, and everything to do with a slew of injuries to the goaltenders down on the farm. Those injuries only impact Columbus when one of our goalies goes down. Those minor league teams did deal with the injuries by signing goalies to minor league contracts

eg: Syracuse signing Goering (sp).
I completely agreed a month ago, when Mason was recalled the first time. There have been a ton of freak incidences that left Columbus short on goalies. But that was a month ago, and unless management was in la-la land where NHL goalies don't get injured, there was plenty of time to make arrangements in the event Norrena or Leclaire went down.

If Mason was an okay or even a better than average OHL goalie, I don't believe there's any way in hell he gets called up. Other avenues would have been explored.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Mogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I completely agreed a month ago, when Mason was recalled the first time. There have been a ton of freak incidences that left Columbus short on goalies. But that was a month ago, and unless management was in la-la land where NHL goalies don't get injured, there was plenty of time to make arrangements in the event Norrena or Leclaire went down.

If Mason was an okay or even a better than average OHL goalie, I don't believe there's any way in hell he gets called up. Other avenues would have been explored.
Agreed, but Mason is a solid goalie with a bright future -thus, he's the best option for the CBJ at this juncture. I don't think any more thought really needs to be put into it. This is reality, we caught the injury bug with our goaltenders and this is pretty much our only (and best) option.

Sidebar, Lindstrom is up because he's earned it. I will be disappointed if he's sent back down, but I fully expect him to be with the club full-time next season. My guess is they make some room on the roster for him by season's end.

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
FiveHole23

So on the flip side of both of you guys. If the NHL team doesnt care about their AHL team why do you think they care about the junior team.

In the NHL you ice the best team available to you.

Old
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
What is Minimum squad in the AHL?

No reason just curious.
With the Lindstrom call up, the Crunch only had 10 forwards. AHL teams usually dress 11 forwards, so they needed to call up Starkov to have 11.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
So on the flip side of both of you guys. If the NHL team doesnt care about their AHL team why do you think they care about the junior team.

In the NHL you ice the best team available to you.
Which is precisely why there are rules surrounding CHL players being called up to the NHL and the rules governing when a junior eligible player can be sent to the AHL. Mason isn't available to his NHL team, except in unusual, unavoidable situations. That isn't the case this time around, in my opinion.

You're absolutely right that Columbus doesn't give a rat's ass about the junior clubs. No NHL team would, outside of relying on the CHL team to help develop their drafted players.

Old
02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
well during the coaches show he says that Leclaire might be ready for sunday so Mason could be back to the OHL here sooner rather than later....no harm no foul

3 goals = chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
firethecannon

Quote:
That's a HUGE understatement. There is no reason whatsoever for the Jackets to not have signed an AHL goalie to a contract once it was clear that there would be a shortage of tenders in the system.
There is a reason for the Jackets to not have signed an AHL goalie. There were none better than Mason. Plain and simple the CBJ own the NHL rights to Mason and with those rights they have the option of recalling him if necessary. The CBJ are not responsible for suppling junior teams with players and the junior teams know this going into the deal. So all the junior teams can do is DEAL WITH IT!!

firethecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I dissagree that the NHL doesn't give a rats a$$ about the minor leagues or Juniors. I am sure that they realize that all levels of Hockey being healthy and thriving is good for everyone including the NHL.

That said, NHL clubs are going to do what is best for them, and if it means calling up a player from Juniors then that is what will happen.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFreak View Post
and Duvie sent back to Syracuse

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=352502

(Sorry..header should read Lindstrom - don't know how to edit it)
You mean "Lindström"?

Anywho, they should send Murray down. "Grit" only gets you so far

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
blahblah

So much angst over Mason. Kind of funny really. The Jackets are well within their rights. This isn't a big deal.

Good to see The Lindstrom back up, I hope he takes someone's roster spot... Someone needs benched...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
So much angst over Mason. Kind of funny really. The Jackets are well within their rights. This isn't a big deal.
Not angst at all. I thought it was a good discussion, until this kind of BS attitude took over. I'm done.

Take good care of Mase and send him back ASAP.

Old
02-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
That's just how blahblah is, we're used to him, don't take offense.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
FiveHole23

I think the BS attitude is a reflection of our piss poor management.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The Jackets are well within their rights. This isn't a big deal.
I agree and said as much earlier. I still contend I'd have liked to have seen goalie depth added after the last emergency callup. I know there's a contract limit, but it should still have been done, IMO. Hard to argue with firethecannon's point that Mason is better than whomever would have got signed, though.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
would a line of Brule-Brassard-Lindstrom put too much youth and not enough defense on one line?

what about moving Jason Chimera off the 2nd scoring line...you know kind of a congrats on a new deal type thing...thanks for agreeing to that contract extension now hop down to the 3rd line with parma and manny

Zherdev-Peca-Lindstrom?

3 goals = chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM
fitchjr1

vCash: 560
Quote:

No reason just curious.
Exactly what we have..

As for the goaltending.. Syracuse would probably still have Munro if the AHL coach didn't have him start 7 straight games in a 9 day period. Right after that is when the groin injury occurred

fitchjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I agree and said as much earlier. I still contend I'd have liked to have seen goalie depth added after the last emergency callup. I know there's a contract limit, but it should still have been done, IMO. Hard to argue with firethecannon's point that Mason is better than whomever would have got signed, though.
It's a bad time of the year to be looking for a backup goalie that you actually don't mind playing a game on back-to-back nights. I'll take Mason over the scrubs that aren't under contract, in the event the goalie acutally needs to play.

Of all the things to call management "piss poor" over, this really wasn't a very good example, IMO.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Not angst at all. I thought it was a good discussion, until this kind of BS attitude took over. I'm done.

Take good care of Mase and send him back ASAP.
lol, dang.

Just because people were venting over Mason and I chose to use the word "angst" you're ready to leave? I just meant there seemed to be so much drama generated around here everytime Mason gets the callup. Whether it be from people thinking we are hurting his developement, to the pain caused to the Junior team, to managements ineptitidude, all the way to the intense speculation on whether his is going to start.

This isn't a big deal. I find it amusing that it get's some much press around here (the forums).

Take a deep breath, if you need to, come back and do your best (or your worst). I didn't say anything that should have offended anyone.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:41 PM
oxcamel

I disagree with the posters that think the people in Kitchener will be upset. This is a temporary situation and they are hosting the Memorial Cup this year. That is why they traded all the stuff they did to get Mason. If it would happen to change to a permanet situation for some reason then you would hear the moans from Kitchener.

oxcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Quote:

No reason just curious.
11 forwards, 6 D. Which is what the Crunch were at before the Lindstrom call up. That's why Starkov was called up, since they play tonight. No idea why it wasn't Pohl either.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
gen60

Easiest solution to this, tell TB to recall Marc Denis and pick him off waivers. Denis back on the bluejackets willl revive his career.

gen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Hugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen60 View Post
Easiest solution to this, tell TB to recall Marc Denis and pick him off waivers. Denis back on the bluejackets willl revive his career.

Wait, that was sarcastic right?

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamel View Post
I disagree with the posters that think the people in Kitchener will be upset. This is a temporary situation and they are hosting the Memorial Cup this year. That is why they traded all the stuff they did to get Mason. If it would happen to change to a permanet situation for some reason then you would hear the moans from Kitchener.
Of course the Rangers fans will be upset, as a Mooseheads fan I'd be pissed if Voracek was called up on emergency recall. As an admittedly knowledgeable hockey fan, I would understand, however, and not ***** about it because I know it was what had to be done from a Columbus standpoint.

---

Speaking of lines, here's what I'd like to see while Feds and Modin are out:

Nash - Novotny - Vyborny
Lindstrom - Peca - Zherdev
Chimera - Brassard - Brule
Fritsche - Malhotra - Boll

Murray healthy scratch.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
BZArcher

Mac: I think those are some pretty good lines, but I think Hitch likes Murray to much to scratch him...but, I may be wrong.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote