HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can the Habs catch Ottawa this year?

View Poll Results: Can we catch them?
Yes 88 53.01%
No 78 46.99%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Way to go out on a limb there Vlad.

This is a topic for another thread but I am uncomfortable with the balance of power that Peter Forsberg may have on all of this. If he signs in Ottawa, can we realistically compete with that team over the long haul. It's tough enough now.

Almost need a pre-emptive strike on Foppa to keep Sens and Flyers dirty little fingers off of him. Long term I'm comfortable with the team's philosophy but the drug they're icing is highly addictive - giving me a whole new set of springtime fantasies.
It's all about momentum and how to keep it, IMO. The difference between this year's team and previous years is that they keep up. Whenever there's something, like a break (Christmas, all-star, etc...) they keep up. After a crappy loss? They come back.

There's also something else. Several Habs are playing either poorly or just plain suck. And you better believe that some of them will either be traded or will eventually figure things out. I often said that Koivu was overrated in the past but now he's almost discarded as an afterthought. The guy still has something left in the tank. I believe it will materialize sooner or later.

Of course, I think Hossa and a top 4 D would drastically improve their chances but the team as it is is really good too.

There's a lot of crap surrounding the Senators right now. This was as important a game for them as it was for Montreal and the Habs prevailed. Another test passed for Montreal.

This team is the real deal, at least for the regular season. Playoffs will be the ultimate test but we aren't there yet

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:30 PM
habsbest2008*

are u guys retarted there one point behind ottawa they play leafs **easy win** then they play ottawa again if ur a true habs fan ull be able to see that im right! GO HABS GO!!

habsbest2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The Habs aren't playing over their heads... come on.

If it weren't for a rookie coach, grastric flu and the GM's untimely family situation, the Habs would've kept pace last year... Now that's two years in a row they should be top 5 in the EC.... that's not playing over their heads... it's the talent which is blossoming...

If they were playing over their heads, Koivu's line would be doing as fine as Kovy's. We wouldn't have any problems with any players on the team, yet we do and we're still on top.
Yeah, I don't think I expressed myself clearly enough (being drunk after a congratulations party for yours truly passing an important Japanese test). I'll try again.

The current level of play from les boys is a good representation of their ability and is obviously good enough to keep us one point behind the crippled Sens. Once the Sens become completely healthy we will have to play above this current level (i.e. above their heads) to end up ahead of the Sens in the standings. I think that better explains what was sloshing through my head last night.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yeah, I don't think I expressed myself clearly enough (being drunk after a congratulations party for yours truly passing an important Japanese test). I'll try again.

The current level of play from les boys is a good representation of their ability and is obviously good enough to keep us one point behind the crippled Sens. Once the Sens become completely healthy we will have to play above this current level (i.e. above their heads) to end up ahead of the Sens in the standings. I think that better explains what was sloshing through my head last night.
Hehe, an important Japanese test. Sorry, just languages were always wayyyy too easy for me.

I agree to a point. We didn't just outplay the Sens last night. We dominated. If we play at that level, and Alfredsson isn't a monster, the way we played last night is better than the Sens on many nights. Some may be deluded by the score, but one of those goals was a deflection, the other Spezza might as well have cheated he was cherry picking so bad. The play las night was all Habs, all night, except for the penalties in the third.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Well it's been about a month since I asked this question and the Habs have made up 7 points in that time and sit 1 point back. Keep it up boys!
i have to give you my full time apologies Tuggy, we will make it, i just didn't want to jinx the team, but now, I'M A BELIEVER!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Hehe, an important Japanese test. Sorry, just languages were always wayyyy too easy for me.
Me too. Japanese is now my 4th language. To give you an idea of the level, btw, I can now enter a Japanese university or a Japanese company. I'm pretty stoked that I passed. I showed some of the practice readings+questions to some of my teachers here at school and they were occasionally stumped, so...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
yanks2000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsbest2008 View Post
are u guys retarted there one point behind ottawa they play leafs **easy win** then they play ottawa again if ur a true habs fan ull be able to see that im right! GO HABS GO!!
When the Leafs and Habs get together, it's not always easy. You should know that.

yanks2000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Me too. Japanese is now my 4th language. To give you an idea of the level, btw, I can now enter a Japanese university or a Japanese company. I'm pretty stoked that I passed. I showed some of the practice readings+questions to some of my teachers here at school and they were occasionally stumped, so...
That is officially cool. Congrats.

I only learned three. Japanese was always intriguing though.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
MontrealHabs

This thread is BOLD !!!!

MontrealHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
yannick

hahaha this is a good bump

yannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I am not going to lie I voted no. I thought the Sens would be better than a .400 team though.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Beakermania*

1986Habs, AK46, andrew2, BadKiwi, beowulf, blah141, Breenger, Bretvincent, Brucewaine, Bullsmith, cap10bfl, Chomsky, Comebackkids, Crusher20, crystal ball, Dark4ng3l, David_99, Drakkar, Dripper, dru, Dutchy, earl the habs fan, elias026, emb24, FenixTX, Fido22, frederixx, Frogurt, Ghys, GoHabs20, habsjfc, HabsPack, Hackett, HarryI, higgins2121, Hotstreak, husamus156, Jawson, Jean-Guy Drouin, Jeffler*, Jiggernaut, JMMR, Jouale, Judge Sauer, Kevin Kautsitsin, Lafleurs Guy, Le depisteur, LeafRefereeeeeees, madness1980*, Mats NAslund, MeLoveHockey, Mike8, MtlSportsFan, Ohashi_Jouzu, ottsens08, peewee, prevail, RedScull, regularjohn, Renholder, Reuben, Rock On, Rp477, rs7k, Saku K., sheed36, Skrudland, Sonny Lamateena, SpreeEndaz, Squeaky, tonniar .rm, Tout ptit, Turbo, Watsatheo, YaBasta*, zx81, zzoo, _DrMario_

I give all of you a :

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Gustave

I will use my infinite widsom and vote YES to this poll.

Now bow before me.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:43 AM
neofury*

Niiice, just realized I was one of those people who voted yes way back when.

Congrats to a great team this season!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Ross MacLochness

Yeah, I was wrong.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote