HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Concussion

Old
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Concussion

so I got a concussion in our game Monday, and my doctor said i shouldn't even practice till next time i go see her, only problem is our only practices this month are Sunday and Monday, so i cant show up and i have to make sure I'm comfortable playing before i start in a game again(I'm goalie), my question is should i just go to my practices anyways and just try to take things easy and see how they go or what?

If it makes any difference my doctor said its only a mild concussion.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
so I got a concussion in our game Monday, and my doctor said i shouldn't even practice till next time i go see her, only problem is our only practices this month are Sunday and Monday, so i cant show up and i have to make sure I'm comfortable playing before i start in a game again(I'm goalie), my question is should i just go to my practices anyways and just try to take things easy and see how they go or what?

If it makes any difference my doctor said its only a mild concussion.
I've suffered seven concussions of varying degrees from all different things, Stay off the ice till your doctor says so. After my second concussion I came back to early because my team would have had only 3 of our normal top six d-men (we need to forward to play out of position) and I got another one during that game and I could barely sit up with out pain for a couple of months, and it was another couple of months before I was allowed back on the ice.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
ya, id start playing games but if i just try to see how i feel during a practice would that be a deal to, like playoffs are in a month and i wanna be in good health for them but i also need the practice.

Old
02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
droller*

don't really think this is the best place to ask for advice regarding something like a concussion.

there may be a medical history reason that made your doctor say that.. for all we know.. you could drop dead on the ice.

i advise you to listen to your doctor, but if you really want to go on the ice, go and see how you feel. at the sign of ANY dizziness, head ache, nausea.. etc (basically ANYTHING that isnt normal) i would stop immediately.

edit: forgot to add... going on the ice too early after a concussion may also make it even longer before you're fully recovered.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Don't do it, you're being selfish with your own health. Sure, practice is important and sometimes fun, but if you hurt yourself, you could be grounded from the ice for MONTHS.. even longer actually. Just rest for a few days/weeks like your doctors said and don't gamble your health.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
supaman

Don't do it. Its not worth it. I've had a mild concussion and post concussion since December 6th. I tried to play and it got worse. Decided today to call it a season. Definatly listen to your doctor. Cause if you get another concussion while you have this one, it is that much worse. You may end up not playing even longer if you force it.

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Airborne Troll*

Listen to your doctor

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Yes, listen to your doctor. Concussions are nothing to screw around with.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Yes, listen to your doctor. Concussions are nothing to screw around with.
Ask Eric Lindros, he'll tell ya.

But seriously, it's even worse that you play goal. A nice shot to the mask could do serious damage.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Dont be an idiot.

DON'T GO.

After high school/juniors or whatever you are in, there is still YEARS and YEARS of hockey after.

I doubt your going to make it pro...just rest.

After HS look forward to playing adult hockey for the next 20 years instread of trying to be a big shot and play 1 or 2 games of HS hockey and end up really hurting yourself.

edit - YOUR 15! Listen o me! Would you rather play 1 month or 2? Or risk losing the restr of you life playing?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Dont be an idiot.

DON'T GO.

After high school/juniors or whatever you are in, there is still YEARS and YEARS of hockey after.

I doubt your going to make it pro...just rest.

After HS look forward to playing adult hockey for the next 20 years instread of trying to be a big shot and play 1 or 2 games of HS hockey and end up really hurting yourself.

edit - YOUR 15! Listen o me! Would you rather play 1 month or 2? Or risk losing the restr of you life playing?
^^ Best advice. No matter the severity of the concussion, sacrificing a week or two to rest up and ensure that you're 100% will be the best for your health in the long run.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
penguinsfanatic

just think about it dude....a concussion is a bruising of the brain, even though it's a mild one it is still a concussion I would give it about 2 weeks without doing anything then see how you feel doing minor stuff ya know and then up the workload.

may i ask how you got your concussion?

penguinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Congo

Don't mess around with concussions. I got one a minor one from playing football in high school, and then decided I was fine to go and play Lacrosse two days later. I got levelled in Lacrosse, and basically lost a year of my life in the hospital. I had to rehab to remember how to walk, I couldn't read for about a month, and I missed almost the entirety of Grade 11. I still can't remember how to skate, and my hand-eye coordination still isn't all the way back.

You cannot, I repeat cannot, take anything to do with the brain lightly.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
FiveHole23

Do you remember your name?

If so I would go.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
Do you remember your name?

If so I would go.
Don't ever speak again.

Old
02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Quote:
may i ask how you got your concussion?
from what ive been told(i dont remember the incident, ijust remember stopping the puck then holding my head on the ice in pain)
I was either kicked in the head or knee'd, like they were running me all game and the guy went full out into me or something.

since were probably only gonna have one more practice at most before the season is over, and wer not expected to go anywhere in the playoffs, how should i test myself and get ready and everyhing? odr? shinny?

Old
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
from what ive been told(i dont remember the incident, ijust remember stopping the puck then holding my head on the ice in pain)
I was either kicked in the head or knee'd, like they were running me all game and the guy went full out into me or something.

since were probably only gonna have one more practice at most before the season is over, and wer not expected to go anywhere in the playoffs, how should i test myself and get ready and everyhing? odr? shinny?
If you blacked out, no matter how short of a time you don't remember, stay off the ice. Oh and unless you had a CT scan a doctor can't be exactly sure how bad a concussion is, so just don't play again until all symptom as 100% gone.

Old
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
LilWinger11

Like everyone else has said, listen to your doctor and don't try to "cheat" on her instructions. When you are cleared to go back on the ice, my guess is that the first thing you'll be allowed to do is skate: as in, put on sweats and your skates and skate around for a short time on a public session or after your team practices. The fact it was a mild concussion is good; your symptoms will probably subside quickly and with any luck you won't have any long-term problems. But no matter how mild a concussion is, a second one soon after is more likely to cause serious issues.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

At least you could tell, I'm pretty sure I got one, ( alight one), or got lucky.

I got elbowed so hard, the metal part of the cage buried in the foam at the chin, was pushed hard into my chin and cut me open, so I needed 5 stitches. I got right up and didn't experience and blurriness, dizziness, or anything.

But yeah, a concussion and like that, don't do it.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 04:01 AM
RobertKron

It's your brain. Why would you even consider trying to rush back?

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 11:09 AM
ashleesimpson<3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
It's your brain. Why would you even consider trying to rush back?
cause the seasons almsot over and my team is last place, were going to be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs almost for sure, and so i wanna get some ice time and be ready to try and get us a win in the playoffs, cause between me and our other goalie im the only one with ins and ive played less games.

Old
02-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Congo

That is a stupid, stupid reason to want to rush back. There are some injuries you can soldier through, and it's downright admirable if you do. Concussions are not one of those injuries. They can get much, much worse very easily.

I'm pretty sure if your team had to choose between maybe getting a better shot at winning in the playoffs and you being able to function properly for the rest of your life they'd choose the latter.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Oh boy, I'm trying to be as tactful as possible with this. You playing, for any reason, it a really, really bad idea. It seems like you are waiting for someone to come in here and say you should just go for it. You should not.

A second blow can result in swelling of the brain, which can kill you. You could die, or suffer brain damage. Playing before your doctor tells you that you can is incredibly stupid. You have pucks shot at your body constantly, you are risking serious complications.

Go play open hockey or something once you are cleared to play.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Do NOT play.

I have had several concussions and they are NOTHING to screw with.

I don't even have words to explain how bad of an idea this is. I had one, figured I was going to go out for playoffs for baseball, got a knee to the head and was out of EVERYTHING for over 8 months.

Throwing up, weak, tired, double vision, no hand eye co-ordination, short term memory loss.

BAD idea.

02-10-2008, 02:39 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Throwing up, weak, tired, double vision, no hand eye co-ordination, short term memory loss.
Sure is wasn't just a bad batch of LSD?

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote