HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Noels comment during WAS game...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
  #1
jaxfan45385
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Noels comment during WAS game...

Sorry for the late post about yesterdays game. But I want to point out something which I think deserves its own thread. It relates to a lot of the other threads, the WAS GDT thread, Why we suck thread, Stick a fork in us thread, 3 is the magical number thread, ect..

But did anyone catch the comment from Noel during the on ice interview with Day about 5 minutes into the 2nd period? Anyone?? I could not believe what I heard and had to rewind it to listen again. The Jackets were up 2-0, and he said “WE HAVE ENOUGH GOALS TO WIN, NOW WE HAVE TO STEP IT UP ON DEFENSE”. Are you f’n kidding me!!! Did he just say 2 goals was enough to win this game, or for that matter any NHL game, when it’s only 5 minutes into the 2nd period!!!!

What kind of philosophy is that? Two goals is NO where enough to win on a consistent basis in today’s NHL..PERIOD! Does Hitchcock believe in that philosophy? Is that what he is portraying to the assistant coach’s and players?? Two goals is enough to win.

I have a hard time agreeing with that philosophy. Especially when the stats clearly point out that you need at least 3 goals to win on a consistent basis. If that is something that Hitch and the coach’s preach to the players, then this team will never be a winning team. I still can’t believe what I heard, I am still shaking my head in disbelief.

jaxfan45385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
  #2
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
As soon as he said that, I knew we'd lose. Noel's a moron.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
  #3
JKTS61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lima, OH
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Yeah, my family and I caught that, I was sorta left scratching my head. My dad said "Why wouldn't you play like you still want to score? A team can score 2 goals so easily!" Exactly. The Jackets scored 2 in 41 seconds.

JKTS61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
  #4
Renion
Registered User
 
Renion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,044
vCash: 500
Doesn't really matter what Noel said, except in terms of what you briefly mentioned: Hitch preaching the same thing. No way Noel has enough control over the team to say, "Okay, you scored 2. Defense the rest of the way." That isn't his call.

Unless Noel was coaching last night? I haven't watched the game yet (was at a class).

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
  #5
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Claude Noel babbled some junk at Jim Day ... and that's why the team lost? Well, okie dokie then. Glad I got that straight.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
  #6
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
It was a shocker and many in the GDT were upset about it. If nothing else it was jinx, like saying shutout with 5 minutes to go. Besides, the old saying a two goal lead is the most difficult to protect came from somewhere. I don't think it was a wise thing to say and he was proved very wrong.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
  #7
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,722
vCash: 500
Hitchcock doesn't know how to finish a team off, hes content holding a lead for the whole game rather then keeping the pressure on.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:07 PM
  #8
jaxfan45385
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Hitchcock doesn't know how to finish a team off, hes content holding a lead for the whole game rather then keeping the pressure on.
If that is true, then I am sorry to say: "Hitch must go". That worked in the old NHL, it wont work in the "New" NHL.

jaxfan45385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
  #9
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfan45385 View Post
If that is true, then I am sorry to say: "Hitch must go". That worked in the old NHL, it wont work in the "New" NHL.

Before Hitchcock got here I thought he was close to 100% defensive, I can't say that anymore. I have seen the team go into that mode in the later portions of some games but I've also seen his CBJ team go all out to the last minute with the lead. Besides, Noel made that comment not Hitchcock.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
  #10
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Hitchcock doesn't know how to finish a team off, hes content holding a lead for the whole game rather then keeping the pressure on.
This is antithetical to everything we've witnessed and/or heard from Coach Hitchcock. I'm going to say that makes your comment null and void.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
  #11
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
If nothing else, at least I have proof that this is the coaching staff's strategy now, instead of speculating

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
  #12
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
I suspect that he would say it differently if he could.

Noel quickly moved on to talk about the need to "manage the rest of the game." Remember: Hitch preaches "defense first" and Claude was focusing on that.

On his radio show today Hitch said the reason we lost was the mistakes we made, "paying the price for youth." So I can excuse Claude for being over-zealous about saying out loud what they needed to see on the ice: fewer youth making mistakes.

And as it turns out, he was right. We let them back in the game. We made mistakes in the offensive zone that led to turnovers and scoring chances for the Caps. The boys should have listened to Claude.


Last edited by JACKETfan: 02-06-2008 at 10:00 PM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
  #13
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,784
vCash: 500
It gives me great concern if he meant we can win with 2 goals.

However, like soccer, two goals is the most dangerous lead in hockey. Perhaps he meant that we needed to settle down and play more sound defensively to prevent momentum from shifting the other way.

We didn't and it did. Nevertheless, a coach needs to be a clear and effective communicator.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:59 PM
  #14
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Anyway you look at it, it was a stupid comment by Noel.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
  #15
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Honest to god, it was one comment made during a game, more or less to shut Jim Day up. Interviewing players and coaches in-game is ridiculous.

Noel is a fantastic coach, how ****ing dare anybody make judgment on his career or personality based on one comment.

Timeless Winter- "moron"? Give me a damned break.

Honestly folks, why do we do this to ourselves? Lighten up and stop looking for reasons to bash your team.


Last edited by Macster: 02-06-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:03 PM
  #16
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Wasn't Noel hired by Hitch?? Maybe they share the same philosophies.
If they're teaching our guys to lay back instead of hit the gas pedal we're in big trouble.
Or we could all be wrong? who knows.

I don't think Noel is a moron, just the comment was.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
  #17
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Wasn't Noel hired by Hitch?? Maybe they share the same philosophies.
If they're teaching our guys to lay back instead of hit the gas pedal we're in big trouble.
Or we could all be wrong? who knows.

I don't think Noel is a moron, just the comment was.
"Noel's a moron" reads a lot like "Noel's a moron".

Next time TW, say that you thought it was a moronic comment. I'd probably agree. Calling him a moron just makes you look mean.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
  #18
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
"Noel's a moron" reads a lot like "Noel's a moron".

Next time TW, say that you thought it was a moronic comment. I'd probably agree. Calling him a moron just makes you look mean.
That is a good distinction.... It reminds me when focusing on being cautious in describing a player, I like him is actually invalid. Heck, I don't even know 80% of the players how can I like them. I should say I like the way they shoot, skate etc. The written word can be very dangerous.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
  #19
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
"Noel's a moron" reads a lot like "Noel's a moron".

Next time TW, say that you thought it was a moronic comment. I'd probably agree. Calling him a moron just makes you look mean.
Strong post Macster.

So I guess the morale of the thread is we can all say something we didn't actually mean the way it came out.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
  #20
Renion
Registered User
 
Renion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
So I guess the morale of the thread is we can all say something we didn't actually mean the way it came out.
For having such a good week at school, you get this:


Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
  #21
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I must be the 1st person in hfboards history to say something they don't mean.

I like you Mac, and I respect your opinion, but I still think you're wrong about this issue.

The players sitting right in front of Day & Noel heard every word of that interview, they're going to believe what Noel says.
Attitude reflects leadership, if the coaches say something, the players buy into it.
I don't think Hitch is going to tell the players one thing, then his assistants tell them a completely different thing, right?
We're all on the same team here, we all love the CBJ and want them to succeed more than anything. Nobody is going to agree all the time about everything, I do realize that.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
  #22
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I must be the 1st person in hfboards history to say something they don't mean.

I like you Mac, and I respect your opinion, but I still think you're wrong about this issue.

The players sitting right in front of Day & Noel heard every word of that interview, they're going to believe what Noel says.
Attitude reflects leadership, if the coaches say something, the players buy into it.
I don't think Hitch is going to tell the players one thing, then his assistants tell them a completely different thing, right?
We're all on the same team here, we all love the CBJ and want them to succeed more than anything. Nobody is going to agree all the time about everything, I do realize that.
Fair enough. I appreciate your opinion, but I just don't think his comment is worthy of discussion. It's a non-issue. I believe the players, as professionals, know what they have to do. If they hear Noel say that, they aren't going to think "sweet, now I can dog it the rest of the game, mini-coach says we can cruise".

Hitch prepares his players better than most, if not all, coaches in the NHL. They are given a game plan, and they know to stick to it. A passing comment from an assistant coach isn't going to change that.

Again, my opinion, and I respect yours.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
  #23
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Strong post Macster.

So I guess the morale of the thread is we can all say something we didn't actually mean the way it came out.
I have to clear this up for my own sanity:

Morale, also known as esprit de corps when discussing the morale of a group, is an intangible term used for the capacity of people to maintain belief in an institution or a goal, or even in oneself and others. The second term applies particularly to military personnel and to members of sports teams, but is also applicable in business and in any other organizational context, particularly in times of stress or controversy.

A moral is a message conveyed or a lesson to be learned from a story or event. The moral may be left to the hearer, reader or viewer to determine for themselves, or may be explicitly encapsulated in a maxim. As an example of the latter, at the end of Aesop's fable of the Tortoise and the Hare, in which the plodding and determined tortoise wins a race against the much-faster yet extremely arrogant hare, the moral is "slow and steady wins the race."

I think you mean't moral correct...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
  #24
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500


I'm the one on the left.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
  #25
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I have to clear this up for my own sanity:

Morale, also known as esprit de corps when discussing the morale of a group, is an intangible term used for the capacity of people to maintain belief in an institution or a goal, or even in oneself and others. The second term applies particularly to military personnel and to members of sports teams, but is also applicable in business and in any other organizational context, particularly in times of stress or controversy.

A moral is a message conveyed or a lesson to be learned from a story or event. The moral may be left to the hearer, reader or viewer to determine for themselves, or may be explicitly encapsulated in a maxim. As an example of the latter, at the end of Aesop's fable of the Tortoise and the Hare, in which the plodding and determined tortoise wins a race against the much-faster yet extremely arrogant hare, the moral is "slow and steady wins the race."

I think you mean't moral correct...
Yes, and I guess my typo just proved my own point.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.