HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just Curious...Brewer for Gionta?

Old
02-03-2008, 02:00 PM
General Veers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I think The Blues could get more than that for Brewer. They need to be offered a decent OVERPAYMENT for Brewer to let him go before the trade deadline AND seeing what they can get for Jackman (and IF they can trade Bäckman).
That's one too many moves, imo. We need to keep one if not two of Brew, Jacks, and Backs.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:27 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
I think The Blues could get more than that for Brewer. They need to be offered a decent OVERPAYMENT for Brewer to let him go before the trade deadline AND seeing what they can get for Jackman (and IF they can trade Bäckman).
I think at the start of the season the Avs would've been more than willing to add another first into that package, but at this point Detroit has locked up top spot in the west so there's little point right now. In the summer they would've easily done something like Wolski Skrastins 1st 1st.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
That's one too many moves, imo. We need to keep one if not two of Brew, Jacks, and Backs.
Sorry. Maybe my English isn't clear enough. I meant that they should only let Brewer go before seeing what they might be able to get for Jackman and/or Bäckman, IF they get a gross overpayment for him. Otherwise they should wait for a better deal,- OR, NOT trade him at all, IF they can trade both of the others.

I agree that they can't trade all 3. I don't think they should trade both Jackman AND Brewer. But they CAN afford to lose both Jackman AND Bäckman.

I also assume that if they do ANY of the three, they should try very hard to resign Salvy, AND also try to obtain an offensive defenceman in any trade, or if that's not possible, then as a free agent or in an off-season trade.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I think at the start of the season the Avs would've been more than willing to add another first into that package, but at this point Detroit has locked up top spot in the west so there's little point right now. In the summer they would've easily done something like Wolski Skrastins 1st 1st.
Are you saying they'd have given up 2 1sts in that trade? If so, in hindsight, maybe The Blues should have made that deal. They wouldn't have been able to make the playoffs this season unless they'd have picked up another high minutes top3 defenceman. But they'd have had Brewer's $4.25 million off the books, and also been rid of his inconsistent play.

Old
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Checker*

People critical of Brewer at this point just plain don't know hockey

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
People critical of Brewer at this point just plain don't know hockey
I don't think Brewer is immune from criticism, but you are on track that people that want him traded (for a used puck bag) for no other reason than they want him off of the team just plain don't know hockey. I remember the same complaints leveled at Pronger, but for some reason, I don't hear any trash about him any more.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I don't think Brewer is immune from criticism, but you are on track that people that want him traded (for a used puck bag) for no other reason than they want him off of the team just plain don't know hockey. I remember the same complaints leveled at Pronger, but for some reason, I don't hear any trash about him any more.
Comparing people wanting Brewer off the team to people wanting Pronger off the team is an unfair comparison. Pronger was playing an excellent all-around game when some people wanted him off The Blues. I don't "want" Brewer "Off" The Blues, unless a team wants to overpay significantly for him, or The Blues can assemble a better group of top6 defencemen without him and have it be cheaper, too (and not lose his skills set).

There's no doubt that he's been playing a lot better recently than he was earlier this season. He's an adequate 3rd D-man. and, with recent inflation, I guess his salary isn't a problem if Jackman isn't resigned for $4 million.

Old
02-03-2008, 06:18 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Sorry. Maybe my English isn't clear enough. I meant that they should only let Brewer go before seeing what they might be able to get for Jackman and/or Bäckman, IF they get a gross overpayment for him. Otherwise they should wait for a better deal,- OR, NOT trade him at all, IF they can trade both of the others.

I agree that they can't trade all 3. I don't think they should trade both Jackman AND Brewer. But they CAN afford to lose both Jackman AND Bäckman.

I also assume that if they do ANY of the three, they should try very hard to resign Salvy, AND also try to obtain an offensive defenceman in any trade, or if that's not possible, then as a free agent or in an off-season trade.
Oh ok Robb. This is a post of year right here. It's a great take on the D situation.

Old
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
If the Blues turned that deal down, then they are dumber than a box of rocks. Unfortunately, NOTENOUGHBREWER is a Brewer stalker. So don't take his post seriously.

Checker, Brewer has had his moments, but then again he has been the biggest embarrassment to ever don the note at times. If you can't agree with that statement, then you don't know hockey. I've never seen one defenseman hit the other team in stride and send them in free more than Brewer. I hope that he is through with his "episodes" and he settles into a career as a top 4 defenseman. I'm not holding my breath.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
br0therj0e

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post

Checker, Brewer has had his moments, but then again he has been the biggest embarrassment to ever don the note at times.
I'm pretty sure Phillipe Bozon has the title pretty well wrapped up

br0therj0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 11:28 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
If the Blues turned that deal down, then they are dumber than a box of rocks. Unfortunately, NOTENOUGHBREWER is a Brewer stalker. So don't take his post seriously.

Checker, Brewer has had his moments, but then again he has been the biggest embarrassment to ever don the note at times. If you can't agree with that statement, then you don't know hockey.:D I've never seen one defenseman hit the other team in stride and send them in free more than Brewer. I hope that he is through with his "episodes" and he settles into a career as a top 4 defenseman. I'm not holding my breath.
You've clearly gone off the deep end.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0therj0e View Post
Karamnov, Prokorov, and Korolev say hi!

Old
02-05-2008, 12:47 AM
BigTeddyPaul

Quote:
I am ignorant. Please enlighten me. Only embarrassing thing I could find was that he was French.

BigTeddyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Karamnov, Prokorov, and Korolev say hi!
If you honestly think that Vitali Prohkorov and Igor Korolev were "embarrassments," then I may have to question your hockey knowledge as well...

Perhaps you're too young to remember Yuri Khmylev, or the wasted, dried-up husk that used to be Charlie Huddy, before Keenan sold off a couple of decent prospects (Denis Hamel and Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, aka "Johnny Big Rock") for them.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Bozon wasn't that bad... I'd take him over Kevin Miehm or Konstantin Shafranov at forward any day.

P_B

Old
02-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Checker*

Chebaturkin and Koivisto anyone???

Also, Tyson Nash's act was real embarrassing. We also had the suck of fellow crappers Harry York and Eric Nickulas.

Finally, although I loved him as a player, having a guy associated with your franchise who is now in jail for attempting to hire a hit man isn't really a shining moment either

Old
02-05-2008, 08:54 AM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
If you honestly think that Vitali Prohkorov and Igor Korolev were "embarrassments," then I may have to question your hockey knowledge as well...

Perhaps you're too young to remember Yuri Khmylev, or the wasted, dried-up husk that used to be Charlie Huddy, before Keenan sold off a couple of decent prospects (Denis Hamel and Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, aka "Johnny Big Rock") for them.

P_B

Jeez, this was supposed to be funny. If you think I'm getting into a war of semantics regarding players like this, you're sorely mistaken PB. How could I be old enough to remember the 3 Russians and not Khmylev or Huddy? Of COURSE I'm old enough to remember them! They were here BEFORE Huddy and Khmylev, so time to question YOUR hockey knowledge too I guess? The fact is, the 3 Russians were pathetic and had ONE memorable moment, that game on Halloween night where they each had multiple-point nights. Are they the most worthless players to ever don the Note? no.... But they are most certainly in the list. Now, let us never speak of these players again...

Old
02-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

I would like to add Rudy "the Pylon" Poeschek and my personal favorite Alexander Khavanov

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Jeez, this was supposed to be funny. If you think I'm getting into a war of semantics regarding players like this, you're sorely mistaken PB. How could I be old enough to remember the 3 Russians and not Khmylev or Huddy? Of COURSE I'm old enough to remember them! They were here BEFORE Huddy and Khmylev, so time to question YOUR hockey knowledge too I guess? The fact is, the 3 Russians were pathetic and had ONE memorable moment, that game on Halloween night where they each had multiple-point nights. Are they the most worthless players to ever don the Note? no.... But they are most certainly in the list. Now, let us never speak of these players again...
No, sorry, but we'll speak of these players any time I want to.

Players that are "pathetic" don't play 795 games and score 300+ points over 11 seasons in the NHL.

Nor do players that are "pathetic" score 15 goals (fifth-highest total on the Blues that season) in 55 games' worth of third-line minutes, only to get shipped out the next year by an idiot coach that didn't want players who weren't 6-03, 220 pounds, and have three Cup rings from ten years prior.

Karamnov, I'll give you... but I wouldn't have an issue with the Blues drafting his son, about whom McKeen's Hockey Prospects says, in part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKeens Hockey Prospects
boasts some zip to his wrist shot .. extremely mobile with or without the puck .. sports imagination with his passes .. went undrafted last season which might be the result of external issues between Russia and the NHL .. moves the puck well and receives it cleanly
Now, then, feel free to "question my hockey knowledge" any time you feel like getting embarrassed again.

P_B

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 02-05-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old
02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
No, sorry, but we'll speak of these players any time I want to.

Players that are "pathetic" don't play 795 games and score 300+ points over 11 seasons in the NHL.

Nor do players that are "pathetic" score 15 goals (fifth-highest total on the Blues that season) in 55 games' worth of third-line minutes, only to get shipped out the next year by an idiot coach that didn't want players who weren't 6-03, 220 pounds, and have three Cup rings from ten years prior.

Karamnov, I'll give you... but I wouldn't have an issue with the Blues drafting his son, about whom McKeen's Hockey Prospects says, in part:

Now, then, feel free to "question my hockey knowledge" any time you feel like getting embarrassed again.

P_B

You are obtuse beyond all belief my good sir. You can't see humor and sarcasm without a bunch of winking and laughing emoticons and it's sad. "Now let us never speak...." is meant to be a JOKE! Do you really think I talk like that?
Defend them all you want, the fact is they teased with their talent and disappointed with their effort after some initial success. Now, I am DONE talking about this, feel free to continue on your own.
p.s. Karamnov's son has nothing to do with this. I'm pretty sure the Gretzky brothers got a good review too somewhere along the line.

Last edited by General Veers: 02-05-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old
02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

The worst player to wear the Blue note would have to be Garry Holt. He couldn't fight to save his life. Couldn't play well enough to make hockey his.

No, I haven't gone off the deep end. At times in his stay in St. Louis, Brewer has simply been Atrocious. Before AM came, he was absolutely horrible. Read your post that you all wrote. Don't be pulling a Bill Clinton here. You all said he stunk and he did. Brewer has improved dramatically. I hope it continues.

Bozon was an Olympian. Good skater. The Russians were fun. They just didn't shoot.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Checker*

Quote:
The worst player to wear the Blue note would have to be Garry Holt. He couldn't fight to save his life. Couldn't play well enough to make hockey his.

No, I haven't gone off the deep end. At times in his stay in St. Louis, Brewer has simply been Atrocious. Before AM came, he was absolutely horrible. Read your post that you all wrote. Don't be pulling a Bill Clinton here. You all said he stunk and he did. Brewer has improved dramatically. I hope it continues.

Bozon was an Olympian. Good skater. The Russians were fun. They just didn't shoot.
Umm, I think others will back me up if I say that I defended Brewer quite a bit even when others here were calling for his head. Very rarily was Brewer atrocious for any length of time. If anything he'd have a decent game and then shoot it in the face by an atrocious mistake. There have been very few games where Brewer just sucked it up the whole time. Usually a bad mistake would kill us and it'd be hard to find any positives in his overall game

Old
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
I could go either way on this deal. I like Gionta, but I'm troubled by his dropoff the last 2 years...
His Drop-offs is due that he doesn't a playmaker like he used to do(Scott Gomez..) and an PP QB(Brian Ralfaski.)

He could really fit the Blues, with McDonald there and IDK if you guys have a PP QB. Since Gionta's all about speed, Goal scorer, and picking up garbage goals(Posting ahead of the goalie, and just taking off the rebounds or he deflects the puck.)

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 04:07 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Umm, I think others will back me up if I say that I defended Brewer quite a bit even when others here were calling for his head. Very rarily was Brewer atrocious for any length of time. If anything he'd have a decent game and then shoot it in the face by an atrocious mistake. There have been very few games where Brewer just sucked it up the whole time. Usually a bad mistake would kill us and it'd be hard to find any positives in his overall game
I will back you up on that. You have been consistent in defending Brewer. Atrocious for the most part could be tagged to last year's efforts pre-AM and pre-shoulder injury (Kitchen era). Bone head mistakes was earlier this year. Brewer played as if he had no idea how to play his position or where he was supposed to be. He ran around, left his side, his post or pinched earlier this year. I think AM corraled him in some. That is exactly why Jackman and Brewer don't work. They both have run around this year. (I think AM wants more of it and it is against Backman and Jackman's judgement to leave their posts that often. Neither seems comfortable in AM's system. Trade them.) If they both pinch in at the same time, then no one is playing defense. If the pinching showed up on the scoresheet, then it would be much easier to take. Duchesne ran around alot too, but he also put points on the board. What has been good about Brewer now is he has gotten better at retreating when pressure looks to be creating a turnover. You are right in one you say. Usually a bad mistake kills us and the negatives just outweigh the positives. Let's hope he finds his inner Bobby Orr and starts showing up on the scoresheet.