HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howe is Worthy of the Hall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
  #26
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!
 
orange and black48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Howe was the best player on the mid-80's Flyers teams, with no other Hall of Famers on that team and twice took the Oilers (perhaps the best team of all time) to the brink.

Francis did win 2 Cups, and while he was a very important piece, he certainly wasn't their best player.


Jagr was not a center. As for being a top 20 forward of all time, Franics isn't a top 20 forward since expansion, let alone all time.

Centers during his era that were better than him, just off the top of my head ... Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Sakic, Yzerman, Stastny, Hawerchuk, Lindros, Forsberg, Fedorov
I am confused...are you saying Howe as the reasoning behind doing so well in those Stanley Cup Finals? Because goaltending and coaching played a huge role as well.

I thought you wrote forwards, thats why I put Jagr.

And I agree all those guys EXCEPT Fedorov are better...

...but like I said it just goes to show how underrated almost all hockey fans think Francis is. I mean he is 3rd all time in games played, 4th in regular season points, 21st in regular season goals, 2nd in regular season assists. That says alot.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
  #27
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Does anyone know why he isnt? Could it be that he wasnt in the NHL for his whole career? Did he not put up enough points? I dont understand why he isnt in there.
In that article, Howe himself puts a pretty big emphasis on the fact that he didn't join the NHL until he was 24, mentioning that it hurts his chances.

You'd think...considering his legacy and connection to Gordie, on top of all that he did in his own career, that he would pretty much be a shoo-in for the Hall. Perhaps though, the panel is extra cautious because of that connection as they don't want it to seem like they put him in there just because of his last name. I think he'll make it eventually...it'll be a crying shame if he never does.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
  #28
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,212
vCash: 500
the fact that Dick Duff made it into the Hall is enough to convince me that Howe belongs there.


Comparisons to Francis, however, are way off base. That there's even a discussion as to whether Francis is better than Howe proves that he's the most underrated player in NHL history.

You don't put up the fourth most points in league history without being one of the best players ever to lace 'em up. Plus, longevity counts. He played at a high level for 20 seasons.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
  #29
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,534
vCash: 500
I'm right there with you on the Francis thing. His numbers are staggering, but they are also highly surprising to most who see them, because in a lot of people's view, and in mine as well Francis never was an elite player. He was the model for consistency and a Hall of Fame player, but he never was the dominating force that many others have been

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
  #30
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
In that article, Howe himself puts a pretty big emphasis on the fact that he didn't join the NHL until he was 24, mentioning that it hurts his chances.

You'd think...considering his legacy and connection to Gordie, on top of all that he did in his own career, that he would pretty much be a shoo-in for the Hall. Perhaps though, the panel is extra cautious because of that connection as they don't want it to seem like they put him in there just because of his last name. I think he'll make it eventually...it'll be a crying shame if he never does.
I guess...I dont see how anyone in their right mind can look at it as him being put in there just cause his name is Howe but who knows.

I think they are just ignoring his WHA contribution.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
  #31
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I guess...I dont see how anyone in their right mind can look at it as him being put in there just cause his name is Howe but who knows.

I think they are just ignoring his WHA contribution.
Right, well I don't think anyone would look at it as him being in there just because of his last name, but maybe the panel is afraid of people thinking that his last name had any influence upon their decision whatsoever.

I dunno, quite frankly I'm just kind of reaching for reasons that he's not already in there because I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that makes sense.

As Howe said, his six years spent in the WHA must hurt his chances....but that's ridiculous. As Clement noted in the article, it's the "Hockey Hall of Fame", not the "NHL Hall of Fame." A guy like Tretiak is in there in spite of having never spent time in the NHL. I absolutely think Tretiak should be in there, and the fact that he is provides further reasoning that Howe's WHA years should not be overlooked. Or how about the fact that he won an Olympic ice hockey medal when he was 16!? That's crazy!

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
  #32
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Right, well I don't think anyone would look at it as him being in there just because of his last name, but maybe the panel is afraid of people thinking that his last name had any influence upon their decision whatsoever.

I dunno, quite frankly I'm just kind of reaching for reasons that he's not already in there because I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that makes sense.

As Howe said, his six years spent in the WHA must hurt his chances....but that's ridiculous. As Clement noted in the article, it's the "Hockey Hall of Fame", not the "NHL Hall of Fame." A guy like Tretiak is in there in spite of having never spent time in the NHL. I absolutely think Tretiak should be in there, and the fact that he is provides further reasoning that Howe's WHA years should not be overlooked. Or how about the fact that he won an Olympic ice hockey medal when he was 16!? That's crazy!

I agree with you...I have no idea why he is not in there. He must have pissed off the wrong person...

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
  #33
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,587
vCash: 500
One of the best two way defensemen I have ever seen.

I have no idea why he isn't in the Hall. No question he belongs.

Imo, the MOST UNDERRATED player of all time. Maybe because of his last name? I dunno.

But truly a great player.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.