HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Predators Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-07-2008, 09:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
The Official Predators Trade Deadline Thread

Let's use this thread to discuss the players who are available--players we might want and why, players we DON'T want and why, and who\what we'd be willing to part with to acquire these players. Talk about the positions we need to fill, positions of strength, etc. We should also discuss what OTHER teams are doing\rumored to be doing.

Eklund has us "interested" in Hossa, but I can't see that. The price will be high without an extension...which I don't think we're in the position to piss away on a rental this year..and WITH an extension, the price will be astronomical. I just don't see it as realistic, which is a shame because I love his game and how it would fit in here.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

If Miro Satan was available he might be worth a shot.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
here are a few I am going to throw out just because they seem like guys who will be available, could help us out, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Feel free to tell me how stupid my ideas are.

Ladislav Nagy
Mike York
Martin Straka
Vaclav Prospal (likely the most expensive of the 4)

Last edited by crossxcheck: 02-07-2008 at 11:54 AM.
crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
PredDave

I would like to see us grab any of the following:
=====================================
Marian Hossa (pipe dream, I simply don't think we can afford him...)

Vaclav Prospal (decent winger, he might gel with Fiddler )

Cory Stillman (yeah, he's old, but he's a veteran with a Cup under his belt!)

Trent Hunter (good size, average hands, an upgrade over some of our lesser players)

Ladislav Nagy (as a last resort, he might be worth a shot)

Michael Ryder (might be an interesting addition if he adapted to our system)

Nathan Horton (I strongly doubt Florida deals him, but it can't hurt to dream!)

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Nagy - I really like this guy, but remember what he did for Dallas last year at the deadline? Nothing.
York - The guy seems to be on a steady decline, we don't need any projects. But for a cheap rental, might be worth the risk
Straka - I like it, but is he really available?
Prospal - Definitely
Satan - Floater, no work ethic - not a fit for this team

what about Knuble? They may need to clear space for Foppa. He's still putting up good numbers

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Jarnberg

What do I think we need?

We need another top 6 forward who can help in the scoring department. While Dumont, Arnott, and Radulov are playing awesome, beyond that we suffer. Legwand and Erat are hampered by having players like Peverley or Fiddler playing with them. A forward who can play in the top 6 and chip in more scoring would benefit us imo.

What do I think will happen?

With Poile giving up picks and/or prospects in the past two deadlines (even though we could afford it), the fact that we are still on the bubble, 3 RFAs all due to cash in big, and a big payroll already for the next season, I don't think we will see anyone brought in that is signed for the next season with a contract that is even somewhat decent.

I also do not see Poile giving up anything significant for a rental.

With this year's parity, fewer teams are out of it, making the few sellers able to ask for more, aka increased prices for tradeable assets.

I could easily see Klein and/or Koistinen moved for a pick, but even that might happen in the offseason.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Jarnberg

I think our best bet would probably be Trent Hunter. He's a UFA and has put up +15 goals the past few years. He would be an upgrade over Fiddler and Peverley.

Old
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think our best bet would probably be Trent Hunter. He's a UFA and has put up +15 goals the past few years. He would be an upgrade over Fiddler and Peverley.
I like the way you think ... as much as Bernier is on top of my list ... Trent Hunter is a forchecker from hell (top 3 in hits) and maybe he's the piece that would create some space for Legwand and Erat

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
lugnut76

I don't know much about Hunter, but at 15 goals per season is he much different than Tootoo?

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I don't know much about Hunter, but at 15 goals per season is he much different than Tootoo?
well, considering that's almost 10 more goals per season than tootoo has ever had, I guess you could say so

Old
02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
dulzhok

NSH: Carter
PHI: Zidlicky, Smithson, 2nd

NSH: Jokinen
FLO: Legwand, Sulzer

NSH: B Stuart
LA: something, but nothing huge

Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Jokinen-Carter
Gelinas-Bonk-Tootoo
Fiddler-Nichol-Orty

Weber, Hamhuis, Suter, Zanon, B Stuart, Klein.

Also, shop around Suter for an impact young player (Dustin Brown would be the dream). May take Suter to get Carter.

Knuble would be a nice addition for the top 6 (if and when my above plan falls through), and it shouldn't cost that much. I'd take Nagy there too.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-07-2008 at 03:24 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Jokinen-Carter
Gelinas-Bonk-Tootoo
Fiddler-Nichol-Orty

Also, shop around Suter for an impact young player (Dustin Brown would be the dream). May take Suter to get Carter.

Knuble would be a nice addition for the top 6 (if and when my above plan falls through), and it shouldn't cost that much. I'd take Nagy there too.

Jokinen has NEVER shown up for Florida, EVER ... why would we want him ? ... and that Philly trade will NEVER happen

Old
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Jokinen-Carter
Gelinas-Bonk-Tootoo
Fiddler-Nichol-Orty

i hope you're talking about jussi jokinen... or being sarcastic. and where did devries go?

lol wow, we just need some tweaking, not a complete overhaul!

Old
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Jokinen has NEVER shown up for Florida, EVER ... why would we want him ? ... and that Philly trade will NEVER happen
...a point per game isn't good enough for you? not saying we should trade for him, but you make him sound like a bum.

Old
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
5 straight 25+ goal seasons (including 3 over 35 goal seasons) including this year which he already has 26. The last time he missed a game was in 2002-2003 season, where he missed a grand total of one game. He also hasn't had the best team to work with in those seasons.

Jokinen is an awesome player, but there is no way Florida trades him unless he wants out or pisses them off. Even so, it would take alot more then Legwand to get him out of the Sunshine state. Not to mention trading Legwand after signing him to a big 6 year deal looks really good for trying to resign upcoming RFAs.

Old
02-07-2008, 07:00 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
lol wow, we just need some tweaking, not a complete overhaul!
I disagree. This team may squeak in the playoffs, but it's a long way off from being a contender.

Of course, in my proposals, I'm starting off low. Here would be the high offers:

FLO: Legwand, (Franson OR Klein OR Zidicky)

*I do believe that Jokinen wants out. Even Bob McKenzie says he's on the block. IMO, Florida will want people who can produce NOW. They are tired of losing. They don't want picks. Jokinen never showed up for Florida??... he's the only one who has ever showed up for Florida over the last 5 years.

PHI: Suter

*Philly is in desperate need of another puck mover. After Timonen, they have nothing. If the get Forsberg, they will be a true contender. They would have serious interest in Zidlicky (as would a number of teams). I like Jeff Carter, but they guy is still a work-in-progress, that hasn't lived up to the hype (though he hasn't totally failed).

Old
02-07-2008, 07:24 PM
fiveholio

Can you guys tell me a little about Kevin Klein? Eklund has him moving, and the Kings are always looking for D prospects...

Thanks!

fiveholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
...a point per game isn't good enough for you? not saying we should trade for him, but you make him sound like a bum.
you know how awesome the southeast has been the last few years ... if your captain can't pull things together in that sad sack of a division to at least QUALIFY for the playoffs then no, I don't want him ... he's a bum

Old
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Apparently you guys have traded Kevin Klein, possibly to the Sharks...

Or at least, that's what Eklund is saying....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13160

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
dulzhok

I go back and forth and who I'd want for Ryan Suter (realistically).

Ryan Carter or Kessel? More I think about it, the I would feel better about Kessel. Has some more spunk, and is a front of the net player.

So other names that Suter may be able to land-- Alex Semin, Jordan Staal, Ruutu (wouldn't do that), Eric Cole (wouldn't do it).

Old
02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Why not Cole? He is a bit injury prone, but remember how well he has played for Carolina in the playoffs?
I would like Cole on the team, but not at the cost of Suter. Too much. Cole is UFA the next offseason too.

Maybe if we get lucky we could swing Zidlikcy+ for Cole. Carolina is in DESPERATE need a dman with any semblance of offensive skills.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Apparently you guys have traded Kevin Klein, possibly to the Sharks...

Or at least, that's what Eklund is saying....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13160
Talked with Pete Weber and two other sources tonight that all said that this is bogus and there is no trade happening. Kevin Klein will be on a plane tomorrow, but it will be the Predators' chartered flight and he will be in the Nashville locker room Saturday.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 07:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Last night's game cemented the fact that we still need offensive help, more than ever. If that first line isn't firing, we look like a weak, weak team.

Old
02-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I disagree. This team may squeak in the playoffs, but it's a long way off from being a contender.

Of course, in my proposals, I'm starting off low. Here would be the high offers:

FLO: Legwand, (Franson OR Klein OR Zidicky)

*I do believe that Jokinen wants out. Even Bob McKenzie says he's on the block. IMO, Florida will want people who can produce NOW. They are tired of losing. They don't want picks. Jokinen never showed up for Florida??... he's the only one who has ever showed up for Florida over the last 5 years.
If Florida is tired of losing, then why do they trade their best player and captain? And why would they trade him for a second line at best two way forward and then either a defensive prospect or Zidlicky (who would have to waive his NTC).

That package isn't close to landing Jokinen imo. Furthermore, what message does that send to our RFAs in our organization after trading a guy who just signed a long term deal with the club? We've already done it once with Vokoun. Why would anyone sign with us again?

Quote:
PHI: Suter

*Philly is in desperate need of another puck mover. After Timonen, they have nothing. If the get Forsberg, they will be a true contender. They would have serious interest in Zidlicky (as would a number of teams). I like Jeff Carter, but they guy is still a work-in-progress, that hasn't lived up to the hype (though he hasn't totally failed).
Why another center? Our team needs help on the wings. Sure, we could try to move Carter to the wing... but he's a center. Not to mention, what does this do for us signing our RFAs? Carter is a RFA this offseason. We would then have Carter, Weber, and Erat in terms of our big RFAs.

While Jokinen is a big upgrade over Legwand offensively, we still do not upgrade on the wings. Legwand and Erat have been hampered by having to play with third/fourth line grinders. I'm not convinced that Carter can easily be moved to the wing. I also think that it would much more to get Jokinen, which may mean further pieces of starters going their way, since you noted that they want to win now.

These are NHL08 trades this late in the season. With this team still in the playoff hunt, you will not see as big of a shakeup as you have proposed above. We can argue about how good this team actually is, but it would be stupid to make huge sweeping changes. Teams in the playoff hunt rarely make huge moves trading key players off their team to get other players in huge swaps.

Old
02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
If Florida is tired of losing, then why do they trade their best player .

I dont know, Luongo is probably still wondering the same thing

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote