HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Knuble be the odd man out at the deadline?

Old
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Chainsaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Probably. Lupul's going to take Downie's spot on the Richards line in a couple weeks, it's only a matter of time.

It's fine though, Downie's got some good experience and good icetime, he's produced some offense and had a couple fights. It's been a successful extended call-up.
I agree nothing wrong with Downie going back to the Phantoms and win a Calder Cup.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
He's young, signed through next season at like $1.1 million, and the Canucks desperately want another forward. But Krajicek is down at the moment, as is pretty much everyone on the blueline for them. Seriously, I think 6 out of their 7 NHL defensemen are out right now. Send them Kukkonen for a 1st.
What does Krajicek offer that Kukkonen doesnt is really my point

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
What does Krajicek offer that Kukkonen doesnt is really my point
He has more offensive upside, and his play in his own zone is improved. Frankly, I'd rather deal Vandermeer, but that does not seem to be in the cards.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
He has more offensive upside, and his play in his own zone is improved. Frankly, I'd rather deal Vandermeer, but that does not seem to be in the cards.
He may have more offensive upside, but Picard put up better numbers last year than Krajicek has. I dont think this team needs offensive dmen with upside, they need one to help now. Picard and maybe Bartilus have the upside.

Kukkonen doesnt offer much offense, but he is a puck mover in the sense that he can get it out of the zone and is very solid defensivly.

Hey, if we pick up Krajicek without giving up much, I would be fine with it, I just dont see what the guy has done to warrant all the accolades of being a top 4 guy

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Kaktus*

I was ready to trade Mike after Ducks game.

Vancouver
Kevin Bieksa D 2007-11-02 IR Lacerated right calf
Lukas Krajicek D 2008-01-24 IR Shoulder
Willie Mitchell D 2008-01-19 IR Fractured vertebra
Brendan Morrison C 2007-12-11 IR Wrist surgery
Sami Salo D 2008-01-31 DTD Groin

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan View Post
I agree nothing wrong with Downie going back to the Phantoms and win a Calder Cup.
I don't think downie has been 100% healthy this year. Despite sitting out all those games. He's had some shoulder issues since his surgery in the summer.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Has the knuble hate subsided?
I realize he's hot right now, and makes mistakes, but his value to the team right now is huge.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
flyersfan97

There's no way this team can possibly trade him now...is there?

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
There's no way this team can possibly trade him now...is there?
if anything, there's more reason to trade him right now. sell high, buy low.

if they need to move a body for Forsberg, trading one of the young guys to create that space while keeping Knuble around would be a terrible decision, IMO.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

if they need to move a body for Forsberg, trading one of the young guys to create that space while keeping Knuble around would be a terrible decision, IMO.
Highly doubtful that Knuble gets moved now. He's a big part of the smokin' power play, which is carrying this team. I expect it to happen around the draft.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:

when the pp nos. drop, i'll be back to say I told you so.

Why does hartnell, who started off slow also and then turned it on get a pass?

Knuble haters don't have to admit they were wrong early, they weren't.

But they should admit thery're wrong for not changing thier opinion.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post

Hartnell gets a pass because he was playing well and contributing in other ways. Knuble was simply playing like garbage.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Highly doubtful that Knuble gets moved now. He's a big part of the smokin' power play, which is carrying this team. I expect it to happen around the draft.
I agree, but if they move someone like Upshall in order to keep around Knuble at this point... I'd find that very frustrating in the long-term scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post

i'm kinda confused about this entire post... I should change my opinion? all year, Knuble has been a beast on the PP and struggled to find a home at even strength... that hasn't changed, and I've not once questioned his PP strengths. i'm not even a "Knuble hater" i just don't think he has a strong position on this club at even strength, and I don't want to move a young forward like Upshall to facilitate keeping Knuble around.

Knuble was, is, and will remain a standup guy that works very hard. He has some specific strengths that allow him to succeed when he plays with centers that control the puck and allow him to get to the front of the net and score from the dirty areas of the ice, thus his success with Thornton and Forsberg... however, he's struggled to fit with this club away from the PP all year, and that was predictable going in.

I would also note that Scott Hartnell's age and skating ability pretty much make comparisons between him and Knuble useless. I'm also on record from the day he signed as not being a fan of his contract... so hold your protests on that front with regard to me as well. Hartnell and Knuble are similar players, and Hartnell is yet another reason I would view Knuble as expendable. If anything Hartnell brings the same skills to the table while being a better skater and a more physical player.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I agree, but if they move someone like Upshall in order to keep around Knuble at this point... I'd find that very frustrating in the long-term scheme.
Personally I don't think either will be here long term.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Personally I don't think either will be here long term.
well, Knuble is done with this team after next season if he's not traded... I think that's pretty clear. Stevens doesn't seem to like Upshall, so I'd agree on that front as well... Upshall looks to me like a great third-liner that can jump up when necessary or if he fits to play in other lines.

kind of players i like to keep around because they'll never be super expensive and are versatile.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
well, Knuble is done with this team after next season if he's not traded... I think that's pretty clear. Stevens doesn't seem to like Upshall, so I'd agree on that front as well... Upshall looks to me like a great third-liner that can jump up when necessary or if he fits to play in other lines.

kind of players i like to keep around because they'll never be super expensive and are versatile.
Problem with Upshall is that he plays a big man's game, but doesn't have the body for it, and ends up not being able to stay healthy. He needs to add about 15 lbs. of muscle.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Problem with Upshall is that he plays a big man's game, but doesn't have the body for it, and ends up not being able to stay healthy. He needs to add about 15 lbs. of muscle.
I would wager that as he gets a bit more experience he'll get more bearing for his limits.

that being said, he just has rotten luck with his injuries... last year he got nailed by Kovy, which injured him... Ovechkin got him and led to this current ankle sprain... the pretty innocuous hit in preseason did the wrist.

his injuries have had less to do with him throwing himself around, and more to do with incidental stuff (which is generally when you get hurt). sorta similar to Lindros and the goofy stuff at the beginning of his year... he'd be running around and then a puck would bounce off someone's ass and hit him in the face.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I would wager that as he gets a bit more experience he'll get more bearing for his limits.

that being said, he just has rotten luck with his injuries... last year he got nailed by Kovy, which injured him... Ovechkin got him and led to this current ankle sprain... the pretty innocuous hit in preseason did the wrist.

his injuries have had less to do with him throwing himself around, and more to do with incidental stuff (which is generally when you get hurt). sorta similar to Lindros and the goofy stuff at the beginning of his year... he'd be running around and then a puck would bounce off someone's ass and hit him in the face.
Just as goofy things followed Lindros around, and never allowed him to play full seasons, the same thing happens to Upshall.

2006-07 - 37 games
2005-06 - 71 games
2004-06 - 62 games
2003-04 - 38 games

Chances are he'll end up with 65 or fewer games this year.