HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heading to the Deadline: Personnel Evaluation

Old
02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Heading to the Deadline: Personnel Evaluation

OK - As we've seen, these boards have been a bit hysterical lately with the "trade X" threads. In this one, I suggest we hit this from a different angle.

Forget the "trade". I don't care who they go to or who we trade for, I think we should look at each player and evaluate whether or not we, as armchair GMs, would want to move them or not and the reasons for that opinion.

I'm going to list the players I personally see being debated and my case for or against them. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Saku Koivu: The leader of the team, the captain, but having a tough season and some believe he is losing a step.
  • Keep Him: He's a proven veteran, he'll bounce back. Kovalev is a prime example of why I don't like given up on proven stars too soon. I think he's inspirational, I think people have overblown some of the anti his leadership arguments and I think he'll be fine. That said, to get him going, I do believe the team needs to get a fresh face on his right side. I like Kosty Jr., but #1/#2 RW is asking a bit much this soon. That should be the trade deadline priority, another winger who can step into the top six.

Patrice Brisebois: Not liked by many, makes some bonehead plays, but is cheap and has a cup ring.
  • Keep Him: In this case, no harm no foul. I don't think he still should play every game, but he's a solid fill in 7th defenseman who can step into basically any role in a serviceable way when needed.

Michael Ryder: Having a terrible season, but a two time 30 goal man. Sometimes these things happen and he clearly doesn't add much if he cannot score.
  • Move Him: It's not all his fault, I think he'll have a long and strong NHL career, but at this point, the ship has sailed and it's time for both side's sake to move on.

Cristobal Huet: Our #1 goalie. Sometimes accused of not shutting the door or allowing soft goals, but has good numbers. Some question whether his body can hold up to a full season. UFA at year's end.
  • Keep Him: I am not sure we're far enough along to mortgage the future for a UFA rental, but so long as we have him in the fold, I see no reason to potentially flush the season by moving him for prospects/picks. He's a perfect steward in net for as long as necessary until Price is ready.

I am sure there are other players we can debate, such as Bouillon and Dandenault, but these to me are the big ones. I hope we can all join in a discussion of their merits and whether or not they're part of the solution in Montreal this year or long term.

So chime in with your responses to the above or cases for/against other players.

Hopefully, we can avoid hysterics and have a cold, sober and rational discussion on this one.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Namso

Saku Koivu: Keep
Has had a tough 2 months, but was the leading scorer for the team in early season as well as last year, so I dont think he's losing his skill. Something is just missing right now. I say keep him bc we wont get value back right now. I'm sure he will bounce back.

Michael Ryder: Trade
Basically his trade value is hovering at around 0 right now, so I'm not sure what to do. We could theoretically sign him cheap to an extension now and hope he regains his touch. However, it seems like the team has given up on him and based on recent comments, he's given up on being given a chance with this team.

Patrice Brisebois: Keep
Cant hurt as a 7th dman and has no trade value.

Cristobal Huet: Keep
Toughest one yet. He's going to make good money this offseason (Think 5+ million for 3+ years). With Price in the system, I'm not sure Gainey plans on giving him that kind of money. We would be losing him for nothing, however if we trade him now, its like we're giving up on the season. So I say keep him, but lose him for nothing over the summer.

Chris Higgins: Keep
Need to keep him bc he has the habs at heart and he's Komi's best friend (so we might get a discount on both). Only way I trade him is for a signed Hossa.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Shabutie

I don't think Koivu is the leader of the team anymore... Not the least bit. No one who plays the way he has deserves to be named captain nor lead. I don't see any effort coming from him.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Saku Koivu: Keep
Has had a tough 2 months, but was the leading scorer for the team in early season as well as last year, so I dont think he's losing his skill. Something is just missing right now. I say keep him bc we wont get value back right now. I'm sure he will bounce back.

Michael Ryder: Trade
Basically his trade value is hovering at around 0 right now, so I'm not sure what to do. We could theoretically sign him cheap to an extension now and hope he regains his touch. However, it seems like the team has given up on him and based on recent comments, he's given up on being given a chance with this team.

Patrice Brisebois: Keep
Cant hurt as a 7th dman and has no trade value.

Cristobal Huet: Keep
Toughest one yet. He's going to make good money this offseason (Think 5+ million for 3+ years). With Price in the system, I'm not sure Gainey plans on giving him that kind of money. We would be losing him for nothing, however if we trade him now, its like we're giving up on the season. So I say keep him, but lose him for nothing over the summer.

Chris Higgins: Keep
Need to keep him bc he has the habs at heart and he's Komi's best friend (so we might get a discount on both). Only way I trade him is for a signed Hossa.
I wouldn't say Ryder's value is zero. After Dumont signed his contract, Ryder's value went up. If Hossa signs somewhere in the next few days, Ryder would be the best RW to be UFA this summer.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:41 PM
MarkovsKnee

I don't know that Saks is slowing down. His wingers have been by and large terrible. He isn't exactly getting a lot of help down low. Higgins is starting to turn Ryderesque in his ability to turn the puck over at the offensive blueline, like he was tonight against the Leafs. Higgins is trying to be much too cute. Higgins and Saks were at their best when they put the puck in deep and cycled the puck like crazy. Remember that Florida game early in the season? Yeah, we lost in a shoot-out, but, I mean Higgs and Saks dominated. Where is that determination? Where is that game?

I think they spend too much time watching the Kost-Pleks-Kovy line waltz around, dangling the puck and try to match that, which they can't. I remember when Higgins had that big second half in the 2005-2006 season that helped propel us into the play-offs. People on HNIC were comparing him to Steve Shutt because of his ability to score garbage goals. He was always on the goalie's doorstep. He was like that at the beginning of the 2006-2007 season too before he was injured.

We need that Higgins back. But, lately he only seems to want to show-off his stickhandling skills. Tonight, it just seemed he couldn't or wouldn't get the puck in deep. Someone needs to sit that kid down and show him what he was doing before that made him so successful.

I also wonder if the rigors of playing center are catching up to Saks. I'd like to see how he'd do on the wing where he would have less defensive responsibilities. He is still a very good forechecker. If we moved him over though, we wouldn't have a second line center.

Koivu: Keep

Higgins: keep

Ryder: Move. Too bad, I had hoped he was going to have a big year considering he was to become a UFA. A bad time to have a bad year. His career seems to be going the way of Anson Carter's, another former 30-goal scorer who fell off the map.

Dandenault: Move. Begin and Kostopoulos do the same thing that he does and do it cheaper, a lot cheaper. Plus, because he is a veteran his benching always causes controversy, and frankly, like Brisebois, our record is better when he isn't playing. He is not as strong defensively as he should be considering he is a former defenceman.

Brisebois: keep. It's not like we're trading him for anything anyway. He's now our 7th defenceman with the improvement in Gorges game.

I think we should get another top 4 defenceman before we get another forward. I'm also thinking now we should get an enforcer. I don't like the intimidation tactics that I'm starting to see as the games are growing more intense, and I also don't like the fact guys are yapping at our bench without retaliation (see McGrattan and Andrews.)

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote