HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 2/8/08: 10:30 PM - San Jose Sharks vs Columbus Blue Jackets - false hope edition

Old
02-09-2008, 04:57 PM
baberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I look at the teams above them, how many games in hand they have on the CBJ and assume they are wins for that team. I also never assume a win for the CBJ.
The thing is, that's not what's been happening (and the reason we're still in the hunt). After our 2 loss skid following the All-Star break we were 5-6 points out of it and every team ahead of us had 4+ games in hand on us. That's when all of the doomsayers (including myself) came out because we figured they would win half of those games in hand and rocket ahead of us, never to be caught. That didn't happen. A string of losses hit the teams ahead of us and the standings stagnated, while their games-in-hand lead evaporated.

We still need a good run, a 5-for-6 winning streak or a 7-8 game point streak. We have to beat the teams we're supposed to beat (Hawks, Kings, Blues) and we have to steal some from the teams we're supposed to lose to (Wings, Avs, Preds). But we're still in the hunt. We're one injury to Zherdev/Nash away from being out of the hunt, and we're one bad road trip away from being out of the hunt, but we're still in it.

I'm not ready to give up on the Jackets yet (despite the fact that I did give up on them last week )

baberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:21 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
While I don't think making the playoffs at this point would be impossible, I just don't think we have the horses to stay in the race.
Nope, Howson's gonna hafta make a move.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
Yeah, I am shocked.

What changed your mind, Robert?
I did have a change of mind on playing Mason, that's why I sort of admitted it by saying "are you shocked". The last time he was called up I was concerned about him possibly playing with the jr championship success so close to the emergency callup. I know we had to bring him up but had he been forced to play and was imbarrassed, with thoughts of being the best of the best so recently in that championship, I felt the damage to him mentalily would be compounded. It's been weeks since that championship series, it's not in the spotlight now as it was then.

I was also concerned about him being subjected to possible failure with playoff implications compounding the self remorse that could follow. Things have changed since then, we are are still in the mathematical playoff hunt but the odds have changed. I don't think the pressure of not winning or the fallout from a poor performance will be as mentally impacting now.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by countthecashricknash View Post
I watched the whole game and it seemed as if the CBJ played one of their best team games of the year. Nabokov was amazing last night. Hitch can't complain after last night. If we just keep up this playing style, the goals will come in bunches.

Vyborny still sucks. No late season quality experience and the 9:49 he played last night just seems like too much for a player struggling as much as he is. I'd rather see Murray, Brule, or Brass take some more minutes away from him. I realize they are young, but they have been playing well of late.

15-8-2 til playoffs
If we keep playing like that, we've got a shot. Norrena has raised his game a notch, and we dominated the ice. Nabokov was absolutely awesome, some of the best goal tending I've ever seen. Take the point, and move on.

Vyborny's fine on the 4th line. Brassard isn't lighting anything up, he's young, he needs time, yada yada yada. Boll is fun to watch, but his give aways nearly cost us both of the games out West. He's learning too, so you balance their time and hope they learn fast.

15-8-2 is steep, but not that terrible. Lets go win 3 in a row and then 12-8-2 won't look so bad

I'm thinking Norrena on Sunday without a doubt, he's been superb the last 2 games and it would crazy to not utilize him.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
If we keep playing like that, we've got a shot. Norrena has raised his game a notch, and we dominated the ice. Nabokov was absolutely awesome, some of the best goal tending I've ever seen. Take the point, and move on.

Vyborny's fine on the 4th line. Brassard isn't lighting anything up, he's young, he needs time, yada yada yada. Boll is fun to watch, but his give aways nearly cost us both of the games out West. He's learning too, so you balance their time and hope they learn fast.

15-8-2 is steep, but not that terrible. Lets go win 3 in a row and then 12-8-2 won't look so bad

I'm thinking Norrena on Sunday without a doubt, he's been superb the last 2 games and it would crazy to not utilize him.
One game at a time but I agree, we really need 3 or 4 two points games in a row soon..

I've got a bunch of home games scheduled for mid March on, I planned it that way expecting to be part of a playoff push. So I have a vested interest in the Jackets getting it done... I'm not confident but it could happen, we need to score some goals though. We will never make the post season averaging 2 goals a game-never.

So, lets get going Blue Jackets, start putting the biscuit in the net will ya.....

Old
02-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
One game at a time but I agree, we really need 3 or 4 two points games in a row soon..

I've got a bunch of home games scheduled for mid March on, I planned it that way expecting to be part of a playoff push. So I have a vested interest in the Jackets getting it done... I'm not confident but it could happen, we need to score some goals though. We will never make the post season averaging 2 goals a game-never.

So, lets get going Blue Jackets, start putting the biscuit in the net will ya.....
I'll be honest, to even be talking about the playoffs at this point in the season makes me happy. Of course, given a taste, I will want more.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I'll be honest, to even be talking about the playoffs at this point in the season makes me happy. Of course, given a taste, I will want more.
Ya, mid February and there is a chance. Whence one experiences the CBJ in the playoffs for the first time most will not be satisfied with less afterword, fun times are coming..

Old
02-10-2008, 06:49 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I did have a change of mind on playing Mason, that's why I sort of admitted it by saying "are you shocked". The last time he was called up I was concerned about him possibly playing with the jr championship success so close to the emergency callup. I know we had to bring him up but had he been forced to play and was imbarrassed, with thoughts of being the best of the best so recently in that championship, I felt the damage to him mentalily would be compounded. It's been weeks since that championship series, it's not in the spotlight now as it was then.

I was also concerned about him being subjected to possible failure with playoff implications compounding the self remorse that could follow. Things have changed since then, we are are still in the mathematical playoff hunt but the odds have changed. I don't think the pressure of not winning or the fallout from a poor performance will be as mentally impacting now.
Thanks for explaining.

I think you would agree that you were just plain going 'nuclear overboard' earlier, and now you are having some fun, hoping to see a great prospect play.

Cool.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
Thanks for explaining.

I think you would agree that you were just plain going 'nuclear overboard' earlier, and now you are having some fun, hoping to see a great prospect play.

Cool.
Nuclear is bit harse, I'd say atomic.... But ya, it's only a game right, and it's fun.