Notices

Flamers?

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 06:11 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Flamers?

Am I the only one who takes offence to other fans calling us this?

How is this not in violation of the board rules?

Old
04-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
This might be a good time to chime in. If Flames fans venture onto other boards to agitate (i.e. the Canucks boards), do so at your own risk. Keep this in mind, especially if the Flames advance to future rounds. Agitating on their boards only encourages them to do likewise. Exercising some discretion, and maintaining a certain level of civility, will go a long way to making the experience a little better for all of us. It'll also save some extra work for me in the process.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:16 PM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
This might be a good time to chime in. If Flames fans venture onto other boards to agitate (i.e. the Canucks boards), do so at your own risk. Keep this in mind, especially if the Flames advance to future rounds. Agitating on their boards only encourages them to do likewise. Exercising some discretion, and maintaining a certain level of civility, will go a long way to making the experience a little better for all of us. It'll also save some extra work for me in the process.
Sure, I go on the Canucks board, but only because this is where the action is. Very rarely, if ever, do I do it to agitate.
But that is not what I'm talking about. Even when fans come on here they have referred to us as "Flamers". If I went on another board, calling people "****", I would be banned - so why is this allowed?

Old
04-14-2004, 10:33 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
If I went on another board, calling people "****", I would be banned - so why is this allowed?
Relax.

I'm not here to troll, but I think you have to take it with a grain of salt. After all, the team is called the Flames... does anyone spewing this actually think that all Flames fans and players are homosexual?

I'm an Oilers' fan and I certainly don't take offense to anyone calling me a Greaser, since it is in reference to my being an Oiler fan and I certainly understand that. If I was of Mexican descent and someone called me a Greaser because of my heritage its a completely different story.

Either way, I prefer 'Lame Fans... probably more appropriate. jk.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

You're kidding right?? LMAO :lol Your Flames are in the playoffs and that's what you're thinking about???

Old
04-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Ozy_Flame

I don't see how this is any different from calling the Oilers "Greasers".

Old
04-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

"Flamers" doesn't offend me in the slightest.

Using "****" or "gay" as an insult does.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 04-16-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old
04-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Snakeeye

Me neither. I dont know how the mods react to these things yet, but if people get upset about Cansucks, or Ranjerks or the like, then slander like Flamers and Greasers needs to go as well. It's gotta be consistant.

However, I think people need to lighten up. None of those "pet names" are worth getting upset over.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:25 PM
FLAMESFAN

Out of the other "nicknames", ours is the only one that is discriminatory to a certain group of people.
Comparing "Flamers" to "Greasers" is no where near the same (unless there is some other derogratory meaning to the word Greaser that I'm not familiar with....)

Now, calling us Flickers, burn outs, Lame fans.............. none of those bother me, because those are not discriminatory.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Me neither. I dont know how the mods react to these things yet, but if people get upset about Cansucks, or Ranjerks or the like, then slander like Flamers and Greasers needs to go as well. It's gotta be consistant.

However, I think people need to lighten up. None of those "pet names" are worth getting upset over.

Flamers and greacers are on the same level as Canuckleheads and Rag$...Which i don't think other fans take offense to...

Old
04-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Out of the other "nicknames", ours is the only one that is discriminatory to a certain group of people.
Only if you want it to be. Personally I don't see Flamer having that meaning in my vocabulary.

I don't know about you but when was the last time you heard someone in real life use it as an insult that way? I'm not sure I've ever heard anybody else call someone a "Flamer" as an insult and to insinuate that they were gay. As such it's not a big deal.

Old
04-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Vanucks

Quote:
Am I the only one who takes offence to other fans calling us this?
Yeah, it looks like you are.
And I'm not just saying this because I'm a Vancouver fan. To be honest, when I first saw this post, I thought you were joking.

Last edited by Vanucks: 04-17-2004 at 03:38 AM.
Old
04-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
"Flamers" doesn't offend me in the slightest.

Using "****" or "gay" as an insult does.
I hope I'm not breaking any deals here or anything, but the way words like "****"and "gay" are thrown around, they've essentially lost all their meaning. Being called a "Flamer" is, to me, the same as being called gay. Likeway for "lame" or "retard" In all honesty, I perfer swears over the those, but really, it doesn't bother me all to much... I only bring it up if someone wants to get technical.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:33 AM
FLAMESFAN

Well, it sounds like I am the only one. But, what ever. There is ALOT worse that peopleonthese boards complain about.

Old
04-18-2004, 09:23 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Can't see the problem since its fairly normal English to a "er" to a word

whinge->whinger
win->winner
Matt Cooke->Cooker
Leafs -> Leafers
Canucks -> nuckers
Flames -> Flamers

If you don't like it, you could ask the team to change its name.

Closed Thread