HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Larry Brooks-Rangers need to find out what Jagr is worth

Old
02-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Pretty good proposals in here, can only hope that Slats can pull such a deal off..

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
I think Larry is only stating the obvious here. Sather would not be doing his job if he didnt find out what the market is for Jagr. I personally wouldn't trade him, but you have to at least find out whats out there and if some GM blew me away, I'd have to at leats consider it.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
yea but Forsberg isnt a nut case or *****y like Jagr is....Jags has a bit more luggage attached
Very true Chris, but what would you rather have....a healthy, still semi-dominant winger, or a possibly dominant center that is one more check along the boards away from ending his career for good, along with not playing NHL hockey for about a year

It's a really tough decision, but too many people here are undervaluing Jagr in my opinion

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 02:41 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

please sather consider it....we really need a boost here, we havent played consistently good at all this whole freakin season.

we need a d man, a rw, and some picks.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Jagr, Rozy + First in 2008 + Cond'l 1st in 2009 if JJ doesn't resign

for

St Louis + Boyle + 2nd 2008

Dreamin..

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

for

Dreamin..
St. Louis wouldn't be a good fit here IMO. Although very skillful, he's another undersized winger...the last thing the Rangers need. Dawes has been compared to a lighter version of St. Louis, so why have 2 of the same type of player?

I also think that 2 1st rounders and Rozsival is too much for Boyle and a 2nd

Old
02-10-2008, 03:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

for

Dreamin..

Sorry but I don't see this happening at all. Why would Tampa Bay want Jagr and Roszival--both UFA's at the end of the season? The two 1st rounders would probably be nice but if we're trading Jagr it's more than likely that our playoff hopes have tanked and non-playoff teams without their first round picks (especially for the Tavares draft) in two successive drafts are up a creek without a paddle. As for Boyle who will also be a UFA at the end of the season and a smallish 33 year old St. Louis with a cap hit of 5.25 million through 2011 when he will be 36--I think not. We don't need to get older. I'd rather pick up some 18-23 year olds with skills and more size. Some of the San Jose proposals sound much more workable. We can always hit the UFA market if we're looking for a top line forward. Hossa might be sitting there for us anyway and not cost us any players.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
St. Louis wouldn't be a good fit here IMO. Although very skillful, he's another undersized winger...the last thing the Rangers need. Dawes has been compared to a lighter version of St. Louis, so why have 2 of the same type of player?

I also think that 2 1st rounders and Rozsival is too much for Boyle and a 2nd
Oh I know he's small, but I think the speed he'd add to a line with Gomez could be invaluable. I was just throwing it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Sorry but I don't see this happening at all. Why would Tampa Bay want Jagr and Roszival--both UFA's at the end of the season? The two 1st rounders would probably be nice but if we're trading Jagr it's more than likely that our playoff hopes have tanked and non-playoff teams without their first round picks (especially for the Tavares draft) in two successive drafts are up a creek without a paddle. As for Boyle who will also be a UFA at the end of the season and a smallish 33 year old St. Louis with a cap hit of 5.25 million through 2011 when he will be 36--I think not. We don't need to get older. I'd rather pick up some 18-23 year olds with skills and more size. Some of the San Jose proposals sound much more workable. We can always hit the UFA market if we're looking for a top line forward. Hossa might be sitting there for us anyway and not cost us any players.
I agree with what you're saying, I was just tossing around the idea. I don't see Hossa just sitting there over the summer waiting for us to pick him up. I think he's going to demand a lot more money than we'd be willing to spend.

Also, I had no idea St. Louis' contract was that long, never would've suggested that had I picked up on it.

Old
02-10-2008, 03:41 PM
HenriksBetter

I hate Jagr so i don't care where he goes or who we get. At this point in his career anyone would be better.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Very true Chris, but what would you rather have....a healthy, still semi-dominant winger, or a possibly dominant center that is one more check along the boards away from ending his career for good, along with not playing NHL hockey for about a year

It's a really tough decision, but too many people here are undervaluing Jagr in my opinion
id rather trade jagr, get rid of him and get a return and take a chance on a physical Peter Forsberg who would probably kill himself playing with Jagr...let him play with people who are going to move around the ice and give him opportunities to get the puck to him.

besides....jagr only has a year...maybe 2 left...and wat if Peter is healthy? ill take a healthy Foppa over cry baby healthy jagr any day of the week

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
dynamoovechkin

Being a close watcher of the Sharks, there is some room for a deal there. Doug Wilson has sent Setoguchi down a couple of times, and Carle is not exactly Ron Wilson's favorite player.

I know the Sharks (and a lot of GMs out there) are high on Logan Couture. I don't see SJ upsetting the apple cart that much by disrupting team chemistry by taking that much off the active roster to acquire a Jagr. Never underestimate the shrewd Doug Wilson...

That said: Michalek- untouchable. Cheechoo is a fan fave and now rounding into form after the injury/surgery. Carle and Setoguchi can be had. For the right package I'm sure Couture and/ or Petrecki are available also. You'd have to have crowbar to get Vlasic out of there.

All in all, with so much cap space available, you might have a willing trade partner. (Mike Grier, Kyle McLaren and Patrick Rissmiller would be available.)

The guy I would want is Bernier- he's a horse! (Note to Slats: Please, please stay away from Marleau!)

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ottawa
Montreal
Detroit
Dallas
Calgary
San Jose
Vancouver

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry was interviewed by Dave Maloney today.His main point is Jagr will not be a Ranger next season.He is not reaching his end of the trigger.Jagr needs 37 points.Not happening.The Rangers aren't bringing him back as a free agent.If Atlanta can entertain offers for Hossa and still contend for a playoff spot,why can't the Rangers do the same with Jagr?Atlanta is asking for a kings ransom for Hossa-2 first round picks,young roster players,a A and a B prospect.Jagr has better track record than Hossa.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 04:03 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Not to be confrontational... but i fully believe Sanguinetti is ready NOW. And that he will win his roster spot out of camp.

He IS the best defensman in Juniors.

And a sure-fire PP QB.

He is a more well rounded player then Staal. Always has been.

There are two certainties, Cherepanov and Sanguinetti will be in the NHL next year.

It is time to build around those guys.

Avery IMO cost way too much, because he is nothing more then a 3rd line player...AT BEST, but ideally a 4th liner. He cost TOO MUCH. The reason he was brought in was to wake up the veteran players. He served his purpose. Time to move on, time to build around speed and skill.

Brunnstrom(FA) - Gomez - Hossa(FA)
Bernier - Drury - Cherepanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Setoguchi
Korpikoski - Betts - Orr

Orpik - Liles
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Sanguinetti

Lundqvist / Wiikman or Valiquette

Is my ideal team for next year.
anisimov-gomez-cherepanov
avery-dubinsky-callahan
dawes-drury-prucha
byers-betts-moore
lessard, korpikoski

staal-sanguinetti
tyutin-girardi
sauer-baranka
pock

lundqvist
wiikman

how you like that, optimists?

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
i am in the camp of jagr being traded and as much as i love him i think it would be in the rangers best interest to trade him.

one thing for sure is if he was traded and we either never made the playoffs or were knocked out in the 1st round. i wuld be rooting for whoever he was traded to.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Celestial Black

Jagr for Semin straight up ha.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

who says Jagr would even report to the team he's traded to?

Old
02-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
this is the only time he mentiones phoenix, and in full context. where in the hell did you get the idea he is implying that type of return?
I read the article and commone sense...

Do you get the impression that Brooks thinks Slats should just dump Jagr after reading it? I didn't.

When we traded Leetch we got 2 prospects and a 1st round pick -- I doubt Slats would deal Jagr at the point we are right now for that kind of offer.

Wed want back something simular to what Philly got for Forsberg. A established player that makes sense for us on the ice right now, like a Hartnell, a top prospect and a 1st rounder. Or some combinations with the same value.

Most people are advocating that Jagr should be traded; under the assumption that he would bring back something really valueble. I don't see that happening.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
anisimov-gomez-cherepanov
avery-dubinsky-callahan
dawes-drury-prucha
byers-betts-moore
lessard, korpikoski

staal-sanguinetti
tyutin-girardi
sauer-baranka
pock

lundqvist
wiikman

how you like that, optimists?
Love it. I'd like to see Marian Hossa on the first line though. And thats A LOT of rookie talent on the back line, I think we need someone other than Toots at least to help out the young guys.

Old
02-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

I wouldn't mind Jagr re-signing and taking a significant pay cut to like under 3mil, and being demoted from the top line, so we can sign Marian Hossa. If we fall short of a serious playoff run this year, and Jagr really wants to stay here, he will take the demotion and continue to try and contribute. If he doesn't hit any of his triggers and is a UFA, I see him pulling a Selanne/Niedermayer... maybe he signs a contract in Russia with an out clause and comes over for the second half of the season at a discount.. but I don't see him signing a 7+ mil contract with any team on July 1, and that includes the Rangers.

Marcel-Gomez-Marian
Prucha/Dawes-Drury-Jagr
Avery-Dubinsky-Cherepanov
Byers-Betts-Callahan

That looks pretty good..

the defense situation is a whole 'nother discussion.

Old
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Love it. I'd like to see Marian Hossa on the first line though. And thats A LOT of rookie talent on the back line, I think we need someone other than Toots at least to help out the young guys.
Hossa - Gomez - Cherepanov

This would be absolutely sick to watch

Edit: Actually, nevermind, just realized Hossa plays RW

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:52 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

..why wouldn't he?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:55 PM
NYR Viper

i understand jagr's value to the team, and i can honestly say that if jagr can return what sundin or hossa is returning, he MUST be traded, the rangers are technically rebuilding and while they have a very deep prospect list and a very good farm system, with what the rangers can get for him, they could plant themselves towards the top of the eastern division for years and years...

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Is he moody enough to walk away from approx 2 million dollars of salary remaining for the season?

Old
02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
I wouldn't mind Jagr re-signing and taking a significant pay cut to like under 3mil, and being demoted from the top line, so we can sign Marian Hossa. If we fall short of a serious playoff run this year, and Jagr really wants to stay here, he will take the demotion and continue to try and contribute. If he doesn't hit any of his triggers and is a UFA, I see him pulling a Selanne/Niedermayer... maybe he signs a contract in Russia with an out clause and comes over for the second half of the season at a discount.. but I don't see him signing a 7+ mil contract with any team on July 1, and that includes the Rangers.

Marcel-Gomez-Marian
Prucha/Dawes-Drury-Jagr
Avery-Dubinsky-Cherepanov
Byers-Betts-Callahan

That looks pretty good..

the defense situation is a whole 'nother discussion.
Switch Cherepanov with Dawes and you have 3 bonafide scoring lines