HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 2/10 New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals 1:00PM MSG

Old
02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Marc Staal didn't show up at all tonight.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Is that a serious statement?

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
He did a good job on Ovechkin most of the day, holding him to only 1 goal is an accomplishment..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Well I thought we needed to win both of these games this weekend, but we got 3 out of 4 points, so it could have been alot worse.

I was a bit surprised to see Valley in there, but he played well. I think it will actually help Lundqvist to get this much time off. This way, if he's healthy and can regain his form from earlier this year, you can play him for just about every game out starting Saturday.

Hollweg took yet another stupid penalty..big surprise....but that didn't cost us the game. Kolzig stood on his head and the Caps are such a hard-working team. They deserved the win.

I think this break is coming at the right time. Maybe we will see a completely different team take the ice when they return Saturday.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:44 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Oh come on, he did what he can against the best player in the NHL right now

He'll get better through repetition

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:50 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Actually, take note that Renney is now putting Staal on the ice against the top offensive players of the opposition...at age 20.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Staal wasn't on the ice for Ovechkin's goal. It was Girardi and Tyutin. Also the same pair was on for the 2nd goal which Ovechkin got the assist on. So actually Staal was on the ice for zero goals by Ovechkin and one assist (OT). I think Staal did a very good job. He's definitely a #1 Dman and will only get better.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Staal wasn't on the ice for Ovechkin's goal. It was Girardi and Tyutin. Also the same pair was on for the 2nd goal which Ovechkin got the assist on. So actually Staal was on the ice for zero goals by Ovechkin and one assist (OT). I think Staal did a very good job. He's definitely a #1 Dman and will only get better.
yep, you beat me to it. And that OT goal was on the PK. he was great out there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
He did a good job on Ovechkin most of the day, holding him to only 1 goal is an accomplishment..
Ovechkin didn't score when Staal was on the ice. Staal effectively shut down Ovechkin throughout all of regulation, and got an un-lucky deflection off of Green's goal that allowed Ovechkin to get an assist while Staal was on the ice.

Staal played a GREAT game considering he was matched up and shut down the leagues highest point man.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
isles20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
3 out of 4 points ain't bad at all - one win and won loss ain't great - three ouf of four with the backup goalie starting's pretty darn good - the fact that the starting goalie is not in when this team is going to rest for the week is not. I hope to see something different from this team come next week.

As for today's game - this team has trouble finishing (sorry to state the obvious). Straka on the left wing on the PP makes little sense and on more than an occasion, not having a right handed shot on that side hurt. Dubi shouldn't be with Jagr on the PP; Gomez should. Prucha or Cally should be on Jagr's left.
is he the backup anymore?? JK but ride him while he is hot

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Well I thought we needed to win both of these games this weekend, but we got 3 out of 4 points, so it could have been alot worse.

I was a bit surprised to see Valley in there, but he played well. I think it will actually help Lundqvist to get this much time off. This way, if he's healthy and can regain his form from earlier this year, you can play him for just about every game out starting Saturday.

Hollweg took yet another stupid penalty..big surprise....but that didn't cost us the game. Kolzig stood on his head and the Caps are such a hard-working team. They deserved the win.

I think this break is coming at the right time. Maybe we will see a completely different team take the ice when they return Saturday.
different team in what way, a trade or different style??

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
mstraka82

Staal was good today, not his partner tho

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Fletch

Joe..

I agree he made contact - I haven't seen the replay again but thought at the time that Green may've also helped the cause, which perhaps he didn't need to do, but he may've done that which is also a penalty. I do agree about the good move, and do agree that Hollweg made contact.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Rangers played a heck of a game including their goaltender, no one is to blame except Kolzig who played out of his mind. Great Washington goaltending stole the extra point tonight, it happens.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I was listening to the game in the car on XM, and as soon as Hollweg took that penalty, I lost it. Another unforgivably stupid penalty cost us that game, and we're lucky to get a point.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Fletch

BDevil...

what I try to figure out is if the Rangers ran into a hot goalie, or it's just their inability to finish. We've seen this a lot this season, and say it alot from 1998-2004, and so often we said it was a result of great goaltending, but in reality, it was the Rangers' inability to get the quality second chances that are higher percentage shots.

Old
02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
what I try to figure out is if the Rangers ran into a hot goalie, or it's just their inability to finish. We've seen this a lot this season, and say it alot from 1998-2004, and so often we said it was a result of great goaltending, but in reality, it was the Rangers' inability to get the quality second chances that are higher percentage shots.
I ask the same question everytime I watch some unknown goaltender stone the Devils. At least Kolzig is one of the best.

Fletch, believe me, as an outsider looking in, that was one of the best performances I've seen by a goaltender this year. Rangers should have at least scored two more goals. They where the much better team from the middle first to the end of the game. I still don't know how Kolzig stopped that pretty passing play and shot by either Dawes or Drury, I forget now, but that was a spectacular save.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
dank

what's the deal with prucha?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Fletch

I hear you...

I'm just used to watch so many games in which goalies play their best games against the Rangers (7 years of futility will do that to a guy). And this season, the Rangers are down there in terms of goals for per game, so I'm still a bit jaded. I appreciate the analysis though - Kolzig seems to be one of those guys who's unstoppable, or very beatable; very often it's not in-between.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Kolzig always plays his best games against the Rangers

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
I'll take the 3/4 points on the weekend and run......we're never really very good at winning in Washington anyway. Now we have to sit back this week and watch and root for other teams.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
this just proves how vital the power play is. we have 6 mother ******* chances in a row don't do ****, washington has 3 chances i believe, buries 2. you can't rely on even strength scoring this year. the power play is what makes or breaks in the new "BHL". and hollweg, enough already. i don't know who i am more upset with: renney putting his 4th line out there with under a minute left, or the fact that hollweg made a bad play falling down getting caught and then making the hook. and no i am not singling him out here.

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
broadwayblue

Brutal PP=Loss.

And can someone tell me why Strudwick is still on this team? Is Baranka really going to be worse? At least he's physical.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:14 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
different team in what way, a trade or different style??
Could be. I don't know what kind of deal, but I think that the team needs a week of rest and productive practices to kind of clear their heads and focus on the stretch drive. You don't get these kind of breaks very often - especially at this point in the season - so they have to take advantage of it. If they do, they'll come out as a rested team and hopefully be able to take advantage of some teams that are a bit more weary.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Fletch

danno...

it can backfire. I wish the Rangers were playing on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday this week. They just played two good defensive games and took 3 out of 4 - would like to see them contiue the momentum. The break sounds nice, but it's too long. By the third day everyone's itching to get back into a gamee because practices are not games, and some other teams could begin to get hot.