HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks-Rangers need to find out what Jagr is worth

Old
02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
really no way to argue against this article since he isn't saying the rangers will or even should trade jagr he is just saying they should find out what they could get for him if we did shop him...and imo this should apply to all the vets, we should be finding out what we can get for shanny, straka, rosy, and anyone that might not be on the team next year.

and to be honest given the current state of the team, if sather isn't making calls to find out the potential returns for his players vs the cost of acquiring guys in a trade so he can probably determine what to do at the deadline he isn't doing his job

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

To me, Jagr and Straka should BOTH be moved by the deadline...and to me it has zero to do if we are buyers or sellers. I think they should both be moved regardless.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
tjs252

A team owes itself a duty to know what all of its players are worth.

Action on that worth is another story.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Fletch

Tough subject...

of course, the minute the Rangers trade Jagr he plays like Jagr and leads that team to a Stanley Cup playoffs while the players for whom he's traded lead the Rangers to 9th in the Eastern Conference. I just get the feeling that's what would happen if the Rangers tried to make a big trade (someone who still is their top winger and who demands the attention of other teams), it's bound to fail. Doesn't sound like a bad idea since the return should be pretty good, but the idea is to make the playoffs this year and win a couple rounds.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Switch Cherepanov with Dawes and you have 3 bonafide scoring lines
Then they'd both be playing out of their natural position..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Then they'd both be playing out of their natural position..
Good point, I just tried to tweak it so Cherepanov was on the 2nd line. He should by no means be any lower than that

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Good point, I just tried to tweak it so Cherepanov was on the 2nd line. He should by no means be any lower than that
How do you know? He could come over here and get slaughtered for all we know.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:33 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I read the article and commone sense...
wow common sense? CLEARLY NOT.

common sense would suggest, he ISN'T implying a return that you think he is.

Quote:
Do you get the impression that Brooks thinks Slats should just dump Jagr after reading it?
Um, no. but trading him for a couple B level prospects and say a first is not just "dumping" him by what you believe that definition to be. No where near the return you, once again, THINK he is asking for.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:39 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
..why wouldn't he?
seriously.. what a dumb statement that was. these players are not complete tools. hell has there EVER been a precident to even make such a foolish comment? i can't remember one time a player didn't report to a team for whatever reason after a trade.

i believe jagr has a much worse reputation than he deserves, and likely because the caliber of player he is. he asked to be traded from the caps. that's not such a rare occurrence in sports.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:46 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
seriously.. what a dumb statement that was. these players are not complete tools. hell has there EVER been a precident to even make such a foolish comment? i can't remember one time a player didn't report to a team for whatever reason after a trade.

i believe jagr has a much worse reputation than he deserves, and likely because the caliber of player he is. he asked to be traded from the caps. that's not such a rare occurrence in sports.
Correct... And It's a shame too because Jagr really wants to be here. He's clearly working hard and has done so for the Rangers since day 1. The guy doesn't miss games when it has been made obvious that he probably should from time to time. He just finds ways to play because he thinks he can help the team.

Fact is that him being a Euro is a big factor with SOME (I only said some) people in their hatred/dislike for him. People have been asking to move him since he's been a Ranger.

Where things are wrong is that Sather let Jagr down. Jagr plays a different style of game than a lot of players so it is necessary to bring in at least a center who can play his style of game. Just giving someone for Jagr to pass the puck off of.

Just bring in a center... Doesn't even have to be a great player.

Straka Center Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Kids
HBO

Pretty simple... This would be the perfect time to make the trade too.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post

My comment was not intended to bash Jagr and his reputation. How many ****ing times have we read/heard, that NYC is the only place he wants to be, the only place he'd be happy playing in. I only said that, because Jagr himself has made it seem that way.

Tell me why Jagr will reportedly be playing in Russia next year if the Rangers don't take him back? Pretty sure that implies a trade to Nashville, Tennessee will not make him all too happy.

How do precedents get set? Someone has to start them.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:13 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Tell me why Jagr will reportedly be playing in Russia next year if the Rangers don't take him back? Pretty sure that implies a trade to Nashville, Tennessee will not make him all too happy.
that means nothing in regards to him being traded. he's there for 2-3 months. get real.

Old
02-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Trever1982*

How bout trading Jagr to Buffalo for Drew Stafford and Ryan Gaustad? or one of those 2 and Tim Connoly - what are the chances of that?

Trever1982* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
I wouldn't mind Jagr re-signing and taking a significant pay cut to like under 3mil, and being demoted from the top line, so we can sign Marian Hossa. If we fall short of a serious playoff run this year, and Jagr really wants to stay here, he will take the demotion and continue to try and contribute. If he doesn't hit any of his triggers and is a UFA, I see him pulling a Selanne/Niedermayer... maybe he signs a contract in Russia with an out clause and comes over for the second half of the season at a discount.. but I don't see him signing a 7+ mil contract with any team on July 1, and that includes the Rangers.
Jagr would never take a discount so I wouldn't hold out my hopes for that to happen. He'll go to the highest bidder, and if that bidder is a Russian team he'll just leave the NHL altogether. The Rangers need to find a situation like Atlanta had last year where a GM is trying to save their job with a playoff run and trade him there. Unfortunately for the Rangers though I'm not sure such an opportunity will exist this year. Looking at what Jagr has been traded for in the past, don't be surprised if the package that comes back is far less than what would be expected.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
great article - well thought out.

Jagr still commands respect - teams will underestimate him at their own peril.
As Brooks says the big Dmen in the league who how to get at him and will do so which is opening lanes for everyone else.

Giving him an ride into the sunset in the west to a contender may be appealing to Jagr (who I know for fact - wanted to see out his end of career in NYC on center stage). He may yet get to play another season in more friendly
enviroment in the west

This career ending move by Slats to bring in Gomez has not surprised Jagr - this is the reason why he was less than enthusiastic about it.

Many of us have attacked him for being a prima donna, moody, over the hill etc. - I always felt that was really harsh.

I think Jagr had the script about his career ending in his head - doing it on Broadway. He envied Gretz and Mess and wanted to achieve his own milestone - his own monument here. He worked very hard to get it. Through injury.
But it was not to be.

Think of this as a epic struggle worthy of Hollywood. An ageing slugger or a boxing champ, removed from center stage struggling to show that he is not yet washed up and he may yet have a memorable career ending season in him.

Good luck to you Jaromir - thanks for the memories.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 02-11-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think a priority for the future (and dealing Jagr could do help in this matter) is getting someone for Gomez to play with.

I agree that Jagr has been great here. But either he can't keep himself from overthinking out there or he's skills have greratly diminished. I'm inclined to think it's the latter although it seems impossible for him to play with anyone on this team. Scott Gomez is finding a way to score points without getting much from Jagr. Drury is scoring goals playing with lesser players than Jagr.

Larry is not saying to trade him. But he saying they need to at least see what his value is on the market. And that's a GM's job.

02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Fletch

Singn'

what's interesting is Jagr starting scoring points once Gomez was initially moved to play with him a couple months back. And Jagr and Gomez continue to get chances each game. I think that the left wing on that line is starting to bring that line down.

And to continue, Jagr's not getting points on the PP, and I continue to scratch my head as to why Renney insists on using Dubi as his centerman - they have been a disaster all season together points-wise. Why Gomez is not playing with Jagr at this point on the PP, I just don't know.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
coolbean04

I really am in favor of trading Jagr.

We can ONLY do so if we get a lot in return, we get solid prospects. You don't trade Jagr for two B level prospects and a late first round pick. We're close to getting into the playoffs, I rather just hold onto him if that's the case.

SJ is looking for a D and could use a solid winger.

If we can push for Bernier, Seto and a 1st for Jagr and Rozi. We gotta do it. I don't think Jagr alone will net that.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
what's interesting is Jagr starting scoring points once Gomez was initially moved to play with him a couple months back. And Jagr and Gomez continue to get chances each game. I think that the left wing on that line is starting to bring that line down.

And to continue, Jagr's not getting points on the PP, and I continue to scratch my head as to why Renney insists on using Dubi as his centerman - they have been a disaster all season together points-wise. Why Gomez is not playing with Jagr at this point on the PP, I just don't know.
Nice post Fletch, and i completely agree...Renney should mix up PP lines.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote