HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buyers, sellers, or do nothing?

View Poll Results: What do we do on the deadline?
Become Buyers 29 29.59%
Become Sellers 48 48.98%
Don't do anything 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-11-2008, 02:03 AM
JiBBa

vCash: 500
I would sign Forsberg and see what he can do w/jagr...it's not like were going to trade for Forsberg. We have the money so why not do it and give it a shot. Trade Malik and Mara for Rob Blake. See if we can make a good run in the playoffs.

JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:14 AM
TheZherdev

i think the rangers should wait for hossa in the off season. I have a feeling he wants to play with his brother. I say trade jagr, shanny, malik, roszival, Mara and straka (dont forget as soon as jagr is gone i dont think there is any reason for straks wanting to stay on the team, he was planning on retiring last summer as it was). Then sign marian hossa in the summer and hopefullt have the money for a good d-man too. Bring in cherepanov next year, hopefully sangs will be ready by then too.

We could see a team set up like this.
Big Hossa-Gomez-Cherepanov (This line has a lot of potential, to be big producers, and give cherepanov the players he needs to grow)
Prucha-Drury-Dawes (this line has been good since united, they are quick and hard nosed. I feel next year prucha will be a much better player since renney has to play him more)
Little Hossa-Dubinsky-Avery (This will be a great 2 way scoring line in my opinion.
Hollweg-Betts-Orr/Byers/Korpikoski (we know the deal here. Unfortuantely we have to keep hollweg, for the sake of keeping the physical element on the team).

Staal-FA (hopefully redden. A Staal Redden pairing would be fun tow watch since I see Staal's game very similar to his.)
Tyutin-Girardi
Sanguinetti (maybe adam foote as a FA)-Sauer (This probably wont happen for obvious reasons.)

Lundqvist
Valliquete

This team may be young especially defensively. But this line up could be very dangerous, especially if Cherepanov and Sanguinetti can step up right away.

I know this is a really young team (especially defensively) but

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:21 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
i think the rangers should wait for hossa in the off season. I have a feeling he wants to play with his brother. I say trade jagr, shanny, malik, roszival, Mara and straka (dont forget as soon as jagr is gone i dont think there is any reason for straks wanting to stay on the team, he was planning on retiring last summer as it was). Then sign marian hossa in the summer and hopefullt have the money for a good d-man too. Bring in cherepanov next year, hopefully sangs will be ready by then too.

We could see a team set up like this.
Big Hossa-Gomez-Cherepanov (This line has a lot of potential, to be big producers, and give cherepanov the players he needs to grow)
Prucha-Drury-Dawes (this line has been good since united, they are quick and hard nosed. I feel next year prucha will be a much better player since renney has to play him more)
Little Hossa-Dubinsky-Avery (This will be a great 2 way scoring line in my opinion.
Hollweg-Betts-Orr/Byers/Korpikoski (we know the deal here. Unfortuantely we have to keep hollweg, for the sake of keeping the physical element on the team).

Staal-FA (hopefully redden. A Staal Redden pairing would be fun tow watch since I see Staal's game very similar to his.)
Tyutin-Girardi
Sanguinetti (maybe adam foote as a FA)-Sauer (This probably wont happen for obvious reasons.)

Lundqvist
Valliquete

This team may be young especially defensively. But this line up could be very dangerous, especially if Cherepanov and Sanguinetti can step up right away.

I know this is a really young team (especially defensively) but
......putting cheraponov out there against the other teams best defenceman and best defensive forwards would be like throwing him to a pack of angry, hungry wolves.....he would get crushed....too small...needs more strength and more stamina to play those kinds of minutes.....although i would sign marian hossa, and try for brunnstrom.....hard....and then sign foppa to a two year...this year and next...

hossa-gomez-dawes/prucha
drury-forseberg-dawes/prucha
avery-dubinsky-callahan
hossa-betts-orr

FA-staal
tyutin-girardi
baranka-mara/sauer/potter

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
buyers just a defenseman thats it
Or 2.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think there are too many absolutes in the options. It really depends. If a team wants to take a chance on Jagr, I don't believe that that means the season is over. It could very well be a similar circumstance to removing Shockey from the equation. It might free things up.

On the other hand, they might be in the situation where they might want to add a vet or two to the equation.

They might want to do both.

02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think there are too many absolutes in the options. It really depends. If a team wants to take a chance on Jagr, I don't believe that that means the season is over. It could very well be a similar circumstance to removing Shockey from the equation. It might free things up.

On the other hand, they might be in the situation where they might want to add a vet or two to the equation.

They might want to do both.
Thats my guess.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping we can pick Filatov up as well.

As for as selling...Jagr, Shanny, Straka and picking up some young guys along with a vet forward and dman.

Hossa would be good if we had the cap to fit him.

Just have to wait and see what happens by the end of the month.
We have to get this SELLING JAGR out of our heads. It isn't going to happen. THere is know way this team could find a suitor for JAGR. The entire purpose of losing JAGR is to free up salary. You aren't freeing anything up with 25+ games left. Salaries are retroactive to the cap. We would lose 25+ games worth of his salary. It doesn't do a thing. It's pointless. Same goes for Straka. People are going to take these guys now. Especially the way they are playing. And what are you going to get? Teams are giving away their young talent for Jagr and Straka. WHy would they give away something that we are looking for for the same reason we are trying to get rid of them? Not going to happen. You will see small moves made to attempt to sure up our specialty teams. You might see a Malik move, a Prucha move, a Hossa move. You aren't going to see a Shanahan move, a Jagr move, or a Straka move.

Just not going to happen.

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
We have to get this SELLING JAGR out of our heads. It isn't going to happen. THere is know way this team could find a suitor for JAGR. The entire purpose of losing JAGR is to free up salary. You aren't freeing anything up with 25+ games left. Salaries are retroactive to the cap. We would lose 25+ games worth of his salary. It doesn't do a thing. It's pointless. Same goes for Straka. People are going to take these guys now. Especially the way they are playing. And what are you going to get? Teams are giving away their young talent for Jagr and Straka. WHy would they give away something that we are looking for for the same reason we are trying to get rid of them? Not going to happen. You will see small moves made to attempt to sure up our specialty teams. You might see a Malik move, a Prucha move, a Hossa move. You aren't going to see a Shanahan move, a Jagr move, or a Straka move.

Just not going to happen.
I'm not sure why the idea of dealing Jagr is so outlandish to you. The reason for dealing Jagr is not to free up cap space. It's to get younger talent back.

As to why teams would want to trade young talent for a Jagr or Straka, teams who feel they are Cup contenders are looking to add skilled vets for a Cup push. Thats why a team would want to trade for them.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
The entire purpose of losing JAGR is to free up salary.
That's not the purpose of moving Jagr, the potential compensation is.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

fire sale of all veteran UFAs.

also sell Montoya (RFA).

If Sather plays this right, easily starting next season we can be a VERY talented and solid young team for many many many years.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
I'm not sure why the idea of dealing Jagr is so outlandish to you. The reason for dealing Jagr is not to free up cap space. It's to get younger talent back.

As to why teams would want to trade young talent for a Jagr or Straka, teams who feel they are Cup contenders are looking to add skilled vets for a Cup push. Thats why a team would want to trade for them.
You know as well as I do, the Rangers are not parting with either player. It's just not going to happen. Why would you give up youth for Jagr or Straka? Look at their stats. All the youth in the league have better stats than these 2 do. What would be the purpose? These are "out on a limb" trade proposals. This is the move the Rangers pull off, not other teams. That's why we think it can happen. I'll put my house deed down on a bet that this doesn't happen.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You know as well as I do, the Rangers are not parting with either player. It's just not going to happen.
I don't know that.

Quote:
Why would you give up youth for Jagr or Straka? Look at their stats. All the youth in the league have better stats than these 2 do. What would be the purpose? These are "out on a limb" trade proposals. This is the move the Rangers pull off, not other teams. That's why we think it can happen. I'll put my house deed down on a bet that this doesn't happen.
Why would teams trade youth for vets? Ask any GM in the league who has made such a move at the trade deadline. Those two guys could certainly be moved. It all depends on what another team's GM would offer. And you'd be surprised what a GM might give up for a guy he feels can help his team win a Cup. What did the Flyers get for Peter Forsberg last season? What were his stats?

Old
02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
They have to sell. They need to think about the upcoming years, sell Jagr / Shanny / Straka / Malik / Mara, and get players who can play for us next year, not prospects who will play 5 years down the road. Go after Marian Hossa, thats the big free agent we need to sign or trade for. Getting rid of these older guys will leave plenty of cap space for him. I also would like to see some young guys added, such as a David Setegutchi or somebody along those lines. Sign Hank to a long term deal asap, get rid of these older guys, get Hossa. Thats the key to success. Hey, even if we do sell we still might make the playoffs. But I know one thing for sure, if we become buyers were going to be screwed for the next few years. We might as well get what we can for Straka / Shanny / Jags before they walk.

Sell! Sell! Sell!

02-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
buy D'man - with offensive flair. Kaberle please he would do nicely w/ rozi.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
buy D'man - with offensive flair. Kaberle please he would do nicely w/ rozi.
Do you know how hard it would be to get Kaberle and how much Toronto would want for him? I would love him too, believe me, but it aint guna happen.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyR424 View Post
Do you know how hard it would be to get Kaberle and how much Toronto would want for him? I would love him too, believe me, but it aint guna happen.
This is my point. Jagr's contract is done, Straka contract is done, etc. Let these guys play out the rest of the season. Don't resign them. We aren't in 14th. We are in 7th. Getting rid of them now sends signals that we have given up. It's not going to happen. It's pipe dreams. The rangers are not going to part with Straka, Jagr, Shanahan at this point. The Rangers like $$$. The ownership couldn't care less about winning. They care about making $$$. I have been a season ticket holder for 7 years now. I have never seem more than 500 - 700 empty seats in any game. But i see a lot of Jagr, Straka, and Shanahan jersies and I see kids buying them every game I go to. This is our team. It's not going to change. That's why we have 4 cups in 80+ years and have missed the playoffs 30 times since the induction of the franchise.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
This is my point. Jagr's contract is done, Straka contract is done, etc. Let these guys play out the rest of the season. Don't resign them. We aren't in 14th. We are in 7th. Getting rid of them now sends signals that we have given up. It's not going to happen. It's pipe dreams. The rangers are not going to part with Straka, Jagr, Shanahan at this point. The Rangers like $$$. The ownership couldn't care less about winning. They care about making $$$. I have been a season ticket holder for 7 years now. I have never seem more than 500 - 700 empty seats in any game. But i see a lot of Jagr, Straka, and Shanahan jersies and I see kids buying them every game I go to. This is our team. It's not going to change. That's why we have 4 cups in 80+ years and have missed the playoffs 30 times since the induction of the franchise.

If thats the case, why did the Rangers trade the most well known figure of the franchise in Brain Leetch?

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Brunnstrom - Gomez - Hossa (Marian)
Bernier - Drury - Cherepanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Setoguchi
Korpikoski - Betts - Orr

Orpik - Liles
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Sanguinetti

Lundqvist / Valiquette

better then Straka - same - better then Jagr
better then Avery - same - better then Shanahan
same - same - better then Prucha
better then Hollweg - same - same

better then Malik - better then Rozsival
same - same
better then Strudwick - better then Mara

same / same

Get it done Slats!

Old
02-11-2008, 12:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Brunnstrom - Gomez - Hossa (Marian)
Bernier - Drury - Cherepanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Setoguchi
Korpikoski - Betts - Orr

Orpik - Liles
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Sanguinetti

Lundqvist / Valiquette

Get it done Slats!
OK, tell us how. You're getting Hossa without getting anything it seems.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
OK, tell us how. You're getting Hossa without getting anything it seems.
UFA...

Hossa = UFA
Brunnstrom = UFA
Orpik = UFA
Liles = UFA

replacing:

Jagr = UFA
Straka = UFA
Shanahan = UFA
Avery = UFA
Mara = UFA
Malik = UFA

All to be traded.

Also Montoya = RFA to be traded
Prucha = traded
Callahan = traded

Old
02-11-2008, 12:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
UFA...
Uh-huh and the others?

Old
02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Uh-huh and the others?
edited previous post to explain.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:39 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
So obviously this is a hot topic right now. What do you want to happen on the deadline? Should we looking for help, continue the rebuild, or go with what we got and hope it works out Giants style.
Trade with Tampa - Lundqvist, Dubinsky and Dawes for Lecavalierre and Boyle. Cap space would have to be worked but I would do the deal in a heartbeat.

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyR424 View Post
If thats the case, why did the Rangers trade the most well known figure of the franchise in Brain Leetch?
Because we were out of the playoffs without a doubt and Sather knew the lockout was approaching producing a possible salary cap. Our salary was in the high 80s to low 90s. Do you think Sather would have traded Brian Leetch if we were in the 7th spot with 25 games to go? NO WAY.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1970 View Post
Trade with Tampa - Lundqvist, Dubinsky and Dawes for Lecavalierre and Boyle. Cap space would have to be worked but I would do the deal in a heartbeat.
Don't let your hatred for Lundqvist blind you. The cap space would have to be worked out? You're sending $5,322,666 in salary and taking back $10,791,667.

We get it you're not a Lundqvist fan.