HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Operation: Make Playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2004, 09:17 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Operation: Make Playoffs

While I think, as the roster currently stands, Buffalo could make the playoffs, I think a few key improvements could nearly guarantee a playoff run.

#1. Free Up Salary. There are a few good reasons for this: #1. Resign the 13 RFAs that are lurking AND There are going to be a record # of UFAs this offseason. So, lets get at it:
Trades
#1. Miro Satan for either a decent blueliner or a young, 3rd line foward with upside+late 1st round pick or a high 2nd round pick
#2. Marty Biron to the Rangers for a late 1st OR 2 2nd rounders.
Total Salary freed up: Satan(-4.75), Biron (-2.1),and Zhitnik (-3.75) total 10.6 million.

#2. Resign Zhitnik, RFAs. I'd budget around 3 M for RFA raises and around 4.25 Zhitnik. That would leave 3.35 freed. When you figure in Miller coming up, it would be around 2.35 left to spend on a UFA or two.

#3. Add some key UFAs. If there was only one to add, I'd definatly add Konowalchuk. If you there were two, I'd say either Jason York or Tood Simpson and Mellanby or Harvey.

Old
04-17-2004, 10:17 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
When you suggest that we sign a Free Agent, IMO we should sign or even trade for a top 4 gritty D-man. I hear Aaron Miller is available .

Old
04-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
While I think, as the roster currently stands, Buffalo could make the playoffs, I think a few key improvements could nearly guarantee a playoff run.

#1. Free Up Salary. There are a few good reasons for this: #1. Resign the 13 RFAs that are lurking AND There are going to be a record # of UFAs this offseason. So, lets get at it:
Trades
#1. Miro Satan for either a decent blueliner or a young, 3rd line foward with upside+late 1st round pick or a high 2nd round pick
#2. Marty Biron to the Rangers for a late 1st OR 2 2nd rounders.
Total Salary freed up: Satan(-4.75), Biron (-2.1),and Zhitnik (-3.75) total 10.6 million.

#2. Resign Zhitnik, RFAs. I'd budget around 3 M for RFA raises and around 4.25 Zhitnik. That would leave 3.35 freed. When you figure in Miller coming up, it would be around 2.35 left to spend on a UFA or two.

#3. Add some key UFAs. If there was only one to add, I'd definatly add Konowalchuk. If you there were two, I'd say either Jason York or Tood Simpson and Mellanby or Harvey.
i would love it if all this happened but.....

1. traded satan and his contract is going to be hard
2. biron to the rangers for a second and prospect would be fine with me.
3. i think you'll need more than 3 mil for Hecht, Briere, Dumont, Kalinin, and Afinogenov alone. not to mention mair, tallinder, grier, pyatt, brown, noronen etc. definitely re-sign zhitnik
4. if they dont resign zhitnik a top 4 dman must be signed.

Last edited by Jame: 04-17-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old
04-17-2004, 12:13 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Who was the last FA Buffalo signed?Bon Essensa?Buffalo rarely signs FA's...and sadly the premier ones won't come here unless they get the money.

Old
04-17-2004, 03:30 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Why the heck doesn't Darcy sign Free-Agents?????
All he does is trade for player's!!!!
This is a prime example of why we need a new GM.

Old
04-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Takeo

Zhitnik is gone. Grier was a rental. Satan and his inflated salary can't be traded during the CBA. The time to trade Miro has come and gone. A name free agent won't come to Buffalo, but I suspect Darcy will orchestrate one off-season deal involving a forward + prospect to get another d-man. Biron could possibly be dealt during the draft for a 2nd, but that's too smart a move for management to make, plus Lindy has a thing for him. The three amigos will probably all be retained, thus driving all three careers further into the ground.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:09 AM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Zhitnik is gone. Grier was a rental. Satan and his inflated salary can't be traded during the CBA. The time to trade Miro has come and gone. A name free agent won't come to Buffalo, but I suspect Darcy will orchestrate one off-season deal involving a forward + prospect to get another d-man. Biron could possibly be dealt during the draft for a 2nd, but that's too smart a move for management to make, plus Lindy has a thing for him. The three amigos will probably all be retained, thus driving all three careers further into the ground.
Grier was not a "rental".Darcy knows about small market franchises,and you don't trade a good prospect for a "rental".I can't see any way where Regier lets so Grier.

No way we trade one of our top 6 prospects for a guy to play about a dozen games.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:15 AM
mayday!!!!

logical trade

Satan will be hard to move, but some clubs covet young goaltending, so throwing in Biron or Noronen will sharpen a package.

I'm thinking in the offseason Buf trades:
Satan, Noronen/Biron and Kotalik to LA
for Brown [props to Ithica bring the local boy home who may be a top two line player with a year or two of seasoning in the minors], Miller [another local boy who is rugged to pair with Kallinin], La's first.

While Buf doesn't get back much immediate scoring they do solidify the D with Miller. Brown could be usefull in a couple years when Greir may move on. The first could be used in any number of ways.

I'm thinking that Buf is not likely going to get a cheaper scorer back for Miro since any club trading for him needs scoring and likely would not want to cut off their nose to spite their face. I think Miro will be used to solidify the D and build the team, that's the smart 'Regier' way.

Old
04-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Grier was not a "rental".
Yep, he was...or at least should be.

Or is he not a rental just like Rivers is a bust or like Donahoe should be blamed for last year's record? lol.

Quote:
Darcy knows about small market franchises,and you don't trade a good prospect for a "rental".
True, Darcy does know about small market franchises, and that's exactly why he won't be paying Grier over $2M to be playing on the 4th line. And the only thing you trade for a rental is a prospect or pick. Darcy wanted to bring in a player who could contribute to the playoff push without breaking any of the team chemistry at the time or significantly threatening the future. That's exactly what he did.

Quote:
I can't see any way where Regier lets so Grier.
Vanek/Kotalik replaces Grier in the top 6. Grier should have never been there in the first place.

Quote:
No way we trade one of our top 6 prospects for a guy to play about a dozen games.
The prospect depth at forward is very deep, thus Klepis and all his baggage was expendable. Darcy was probably crapping his pants that he actually had to make a deal, so this was the safe one. You give a up a mediocre prospect for a proven vet and noone can criticize you for not trying to improve the team.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
True, Darcy does know about small market franchises, and that's exactly why he won't be paying Grier over $2M to be playing on the 4th line. And the only thing you trade for a rental is a prospect or pick. Darcy wanted to bring in a player who could contribute to the playoff push without breaking any of the team chemistry at the time or significantly threatening the future. That's exactly what he did.

Vanek/Kotalik replaces Grier in the top 6. Grier should have never been there in the first place.
I think Grier is a valuable player at 2 million. and he can play second line minutes on a checking line with Drury. Kotalik may have played his last game in Buffalo. he's the most likely forward to move. and Vanek will start in rochester and get the occassional call up until he steals a roster spot.

Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Vanek/Pyatt-Drury-Grier
Bartovic-Roy-Afinogenov

using Satan, Biron, and Kotalik as pieces to improve the D would and acquire picks/prospects would be a good direction to go in around draft day.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday!!!!
Satan will be hard to move, but some clubs covet young goaltending, so throwing in Biron or Noronen will sharpen a package.

I'm thinking in the offseason Buf trades:
Satan, Noronen/Biron and Kotalik to LA
for Brown [props to Ithica bring the local boy home who may be a top two line player with a year or two of seasoning in the minors], Miller [another local boy who is rugged to pair with Kallinin], La's first.

While Buf doesn't get back much immediate scoring they do solidify the D with Miller. Brown could be usefull in a couple years when Greir may move on. The first could be used in any number of ways.

I'm thinking that Buf is not likely going to get a cheaper scorer back for Miro since any club trading for him needs scoring and likely would not want to cut off their nose to spite their face. I think Miro will be used to solidify the D and build the team, that's the smart 'Regier' way.
i agree, Buffalo has plenty of cheaper scorers that will benefit from miros departure.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Yep, he was...or at least should be.

Or is he not a rental just like Rivers is a bust or like Donahoe should be blamed for last year's record? lol.

While this isn't the Bills thread,Donahoe supplied the team and coaching staff.Who's to blame?Williams?He was hired by Donahoe...TD is no genious like all of us proclaim when he signs a FA...we still won't be playoff bound until he is gone.

Darcy pretty much knew we weren't going to catch the Isles.Everytime we put on the pressure,they had responded.2 million isn't exactly a lot,when Zhitnik is likely gone,Satan likely gone,Delmore and CuBro already gone.If he wanted a rental,he could have gotten a better one then Grier for Klepis....Ottawa has the best scouts around,Klepis warranted a 1st rounder,to trade him for a guy to play a dozen games is insane.

Vanek?He probably won't even make the team.Kotalik?Coming off a very severe shoulder injury.They didn't diagnose his shoulder properly and they thought he was out a week,and he was out for the year.There probably is some severe damage in his shoulder now.Grier has scored 15 goals before,and he could do it.But of course our offensive juggernaut of a team can't use a good defensive player who can chip in 10 goals.Don't want him in the top 6,put him on the 3rd line.Drop Bartovic to 4th line or Rochester.

The prospect depth at forward is very deep, thus Klepis and all his baggage was expendable. Darcy was probably crapping his pants that he actually had to make a deal, so this was the safe one. You give a up a mediocre prospect for a proven vet and noone can criticize you for not trying to improve the team.

Prospect's are very deep?Don't let the 7th ranking fool you,they shouldn't have been top 15.We have a goalie who is overhyped, one of the worst defensive prospect cores in the NHL and a lot of "boring" forwards....forwards who play defensive first and offense second.Pominville and Vanek are now our only true offensive threats now that Roy is on the big club.Mike Ryan is going to be 24...and he hasn't played an NHL game yet.I know he went to college,but if he had the talent to play in the NHL,surely he wouldn't have stayed at NE.Gaustad is another Curtis Brown/Wayne Primeau IMO.Our prospects aren't very deep.Klepis was our best C prospect with Roy gone.But it is Buffalo,we always seem to screw up majorly.

Old
04-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Takeo

Quote:
While this isn't the Bills thread,Donahoe supplied the team and coaching staff.Who's to blame?Williams?He was hired by Donahoe...TD is no genious like all of us proclaim when he signs a FA...we still won't be playoff bound until he is gone.
And my boss should be fired because I'm 45 minutes late to work everyday, right?

Quote:
Darcy pretty much knew we weren't going to catch the Isles.Everytime we put on the pressure,they had responded.2 million isn't exactly a lot,when Zhitnik is likely gone,Satan likely gone,Delmore and CuBro already gone.If he wanted a rental,he could have gotten a better one then Grier for Klepis....Ottawa has the best scouts around,Klepis warranted a 1st rounder,to trade him for a guy to play a dozen games is insane.
2 million is a lot for a bottom-liner especially considering the RFA's Regier needs to sign. And you can forget trading Miro during the CBA, no chance. Regardless of where Klepis was drafted, he's a second-tier prospect plain and simple and couldn't get much more than Grier on his own. Klepis-types get traded for rentals every season.

Quote:
Kotalik?Coming off a very severe shoulder injury.They didn't diagnose his shoulder properly and they thought he was out a week,and he was out for the year.There probably is some severe damage in his shoulder now.Grier has scored 15 goals before,and he could do it.But of course our offensive juggernaut of a team can't use a good defensive player who can chip in 10 goals.Don't want him in the top 6,put him on the 3rd line.Drop Bartovic to 4th line or Rochester.
Ruff stated that Kotalik could have played if he could tolerate the pain. He couldn't and he didn't. But there's no reason to believe he won't be ready for training camp, especially considering it may be almost 2 years away. And Bartovic has clearly earned a spot on this roster. The Barto-Roy-Max line was our second best. Sending him back to Rochester is two steps backwards and I doubt even Lindy would do that.

Quote:
Prospect's are very deep?Don't let the 7th ranking fool you,they shouldn't have been top 15.We have a goalie who is overhyped, one of the worst defensive prospect cores in the NHL and a lot of "boring" forwards....forwards who play defensive first and offense second.Pominville and Vanek are now our only true offensive threats now that Roy is on the big club.Mike Ryan is going to be 24...and he hasn't played an NHL game yet.I know he went to college,but if he had the talent to play in the NHL,surely he wouldn't have stayed at NE.Gaustad is another Curtis Brown/Wayne Primeau IMO.Our prospects aren't very deep.Klepis was our best C prospect with Roy gone.But it is Buffalo,we always seem to screw up majorly.
First off, the goalie and defensive prospects are irrelevant to the argument. Second, considering how young our offensive corps already is, to have several guys like Pominville, Vanek, and Gaustad in the wings makes for substantial depth. Pominville and Vanek are potential top 6 guys and Gaustad will be strong on the fourth line with Mair and Peters. Roy and Bartovic are still basically prospects anyway. It's not like they're going anywhere anytime soon. And you can even factor in Connolly... There was simply no room for Klepis.

Old
04-19-2004, 08:50 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Personally I would take Grier on my 2nd line over Kotalik anyday....That line was the best down the stretch ( Hecht Drury Grier ). If we had to shed salary either way I would get rid of Ales and keep Grier around. Grier seems to have good chemistry with those guys and has a better all around game compared to Kotalik.

Closed Thread