HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Scott Gomez our best FA signing ever?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'm trying to translate the Fleury statemet:

Is it no way Fleury is the best... or no way, Fleury is the best...
I'm guessing it's the later.

02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
thus far, he has been the Man because the points he's putting up are a result mostly of his work - he's made players around him better. As mentioned, he has 7 points in his last seven games while his linemates have zero - that tells me something. It's still early in the game, so I'm only commenting on his first 50-something games, but I think you'd find a consensus in here that he's been this team's best forward this season.
Fletch, he's a very talented player, but in my opion he's isn't a player that can carry a team on his back. However, I will not dispute the fact that he's having a very good year. And if he does lead the Rangers to the finals, I will be the first to apologize to him. But, I just can't put him in the category has a great player. I see Gomez in the same light as I see Brier and Savard.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Fletch

I don't dispute that one by, BDevil...

at least from what I've seen of him as a Devil over the last however many seasons. Always liked him as a player, but there was never any kind of wow factor. But, he can get 60+ points on a defensively-minded, hard-working team and sometimes that's all you need for your team to be successful (assuming other lines are rolling too).

Never thought of him as a throw a team on his back kind of guy, and agree about the Briere comparison (but think that Savard's more talented offensively and has put up more points on worse teams recently).

But, maturity does things to players, and we'll have to see what the next several years have in store with Gomez since the Rangers may soon rely heavily on him.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Fletch, he's a very talented player, but in my opion he's isn't a player that can carry a team on his back.
Quote:
Never thought of him as a throw a team on his back kind of guy
He might not be. But offensively, who in this league really is? Crosby? Ovechkin? Maybe Malkin, Kovalchuk and Iginla. Who else is really that kind of guy?

Old
02-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
at least from what I've seen of him as a Devil over the last however many seasons. Always liked him as a player, but there was never any kind of wow factor. But, he can get 60+ points on a defensively-minded, hard-working team and sometimes that's all you need for your team to be successful (assuming other lines are rolling too).

Never thought of him as a throw a team on his back kind of guy, and agree about the Briere comparison (but think that Savard's more talented offensively and has put up more points on worse teams recently).

But, maturity does things to players, and we'll have to see what the next several years have in store with Gomez since the Rangers may soon rely heavily on him.

Fletch, just to make my point, I believed the Devils had guys like Marty, Stevens and Neidermayer who were those guys and it's necessarily not all about points and as of now the Devils only have Marty left and I'm not sure he's a difference maker anymore. For me, I believe it has to be Lundqvist who is that player for the Rangers that carries team. He's currently going through a tough period, but he has the ability to be a difference maker.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Chunklee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damons View Post
I know it's only the first year of a long term deal but he's still very young and a proven winner. What more can you ask for?
for the money scott gomez is getting its not even close to our best fa signing ever.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunklee View Post
for the money scott gomez is getting its not even close to our best fa signing ever.
He leads the team in scoring. What more do you want him to do?

Old
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
OK, I'll bite. What exactly are you basing this on?
The fact that he gave me one of the greatest moments in hockey history when he skated and gave the finger to the crowd. Just seems so fitting for a player who later checks into alcohol rehab. It ended up being a pretty good summary of his career.

This event couldn't ahve happened without the rangers signing him to a huge contract and getting on his back for being so horrible.

Old
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Fletch, he's a very talented player, but in my opion he's isn't a player that can carry a team on his back. However, I will not dispute the fact that he's having a very good year. And if he does lead the Rangers to the finals, I will be the first to apologize to him. But, I just can't put him in the category has a great player. I see Gomez in the same light as I see Brier and Savard.

I think your underrating the defensive side of Gomez's game with that statement. He may be comparable offensively to those players but he is a much better 2 way player, especially in comparison to Briere.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
He leads the team in scoring. What more do you want him to do?
And if he continues to play as he is, his value only increases as the salary stays the same over the next 7 years and the cap increases. This was a great signing!

Old
02-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Fletch

viper...

considering it's a 7 year contract, I'm refraining from saying how good a signing it was. It's tough to tell in this new NHL that's going into its third year (salary cap, etc.). Seven years is a long time. As I mentioned, if you prorated the contract to today, I'm pretty ecstatic.

Singn' - not many guys take teams on their back, but there are those guys (Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Jagr of the previous two seasons, among others), then there is the next level which are guys like Hossa, Heatley, Lecavalier, Iginla, and others, and then there's probably Gomez (not saying that in a bad way).

Old
02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
isles20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damons View Post
You are right but for once can we give credit to mgmt for a good signing. If he was a bust we'd be killing Sather and company.
he has been good but you cant decide if hes a bust or not in his first 1/2 year with team

Old
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
he has been good but you cant decide if hes a bust or not in his first 1/2 year with team
What exactly is this comment supposed to add?

Old
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Fletch

Reimer...

what is funny about Fleury is he averaged nearly a point per game as a Ranger and scored 69 goals in 224 games - which isn't great, but it wasn't horrible either.

What I don't understand is why you say him checking into rehab was fitting for his career - over 1,000 points, nearly 500 goals and a Stanley Cup win - I'm sure there are a lot of players who would dream of such a career.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
isles20*

Quote:
What exactly is this comment supposed to add?
It was to the first poster. You cant decide if a player was a bust in his first half year of a 7 yr contract. You also cant decide if he was a steal.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:49 PM
McDonagh27

I for one am a HUGE fan of Scott Gomez. Yes, his contract is a bit heavy, but that's what the market dictated that year. If not us, someone else would have signed him to that deal.

On to his play... He's such a great skater and puck handler, like others have said I am salivating at the fact that we could either slot Cherry or sign an elite UFA and watch his numbers rise to elite center status.. Yes he is that good. Look at Thornton.. he doesn't score many goals but he was an MVP based on his ability to distribute the puck.

Old
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
It was to the first poster. You cant decide if a player was a bust in his first half year of a 7 yr contract. You also cant decide if he was a steal.
Yet you probably wouldn't be saying that if he were playing awful and our rivals were on here laughing at us and calling him a bust.

Gotta love double standards.

Old
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
what is funny about Fleury is he averaged nearly a point per game as a Ranger and scored 69 goals in 224 games - which isn't great, but it wasn't horrible either.

What I don't understand is why you say him checking into rehab was fitting for his career - over 1,000 points, nearly 500 goals and a Stanley Cup win - I'm sure there are a lot of players who would dream of such a career.
No no not that checking into rehab was fitting for his career, but the fact that he went out and fingered the crowd. Just seemed that was the point in his career where things started to go downhill for him. So it was fitting for him to give the crowd the finger then proceed to end his career by checking into rehab. Nothing like giving your home crowd fans the finger.

Last edited by Reimer: 02-11-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old
02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
mstraka82

if Gomez carries us through the playoffs than yes, i am still counting on Dru!!!

Old
02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
isles20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Yet you probably wouldn't be saying that if he were playing awful and our rivals were on here laughing at us and calling him a bust.

Gotta love double standards.
i said hes playing well look at my first post, i wont deny it he has been good this year

Old
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
JimEIV

The biggest difference today from years past; Is now you can sign a 27 year old player....Years past the Rangers signed some real good players at the tailend of their careers. What was UFA status pre-lockout 32 yearsold I think?

Imagine if the Rangers could have signed 27 y.o. with no Salary Cap......

Old
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
TheMetalChick*

Quote:
Is Scott Gomez our best FA signing ever?
Not for nothing, but "ever" is a pretty huge statement to make when youre talking about a team that has been signing people since 1926.

Old
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
beastly115

In the past 7 years, yes, he has been.

Old
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
He might not be Brodeur or Crosby, but do not say he can't carry a team on his back. Without him forget it. This team would be in 11th place. He's playing with a line of essentially nobodies. I was looking last night. I'm 95% sure that Jagr is top 5 in the NHL in missed shots. Just imagine if some of those were on the damn net. Gomez would have 10 more points right now. I can't wait for next 2-3 years. Staal and Dubs will be advancing, hopefully Cherry and Sangs will be here, and we'll be sure to have added 1-2 more scorers from trade or FA. I'm not going to get too worked up about this year. If 2 years from now Henrik looks like crap and Drury is lost on the ice, then I'll be complaining, but right now I'm not really going to blame anyone more than for small things (Renney, Jagr, etc.) We're in a period of transition right now. If we're still looking at 1st and second round exits in 3-4 years I will be pissed off, but right now I'm more interested in seeing the young guys progress.

Old
02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Sylvain Lefebvre FTW!

Closed Thread