HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conference Finals still a possibility

Old
02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
If this team can't figure out how to score once in six chances on the power play they don't have a shot at making the playoffs, let alone hoisting the goblet.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:09 PM
TheCaptain

"Let me start of by saying do not blame that game on the defense"

TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
they should focus on getting the 6th seed like last year. that's the only way we're making the conference finals; by playing a crap south east team in the first round

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
they should focus on getting the 6th seed like last year. that's the only way we're making the conference finals; by playing a crap south east team in the first round
You think it would be an easy series taking 4 games from the Caps?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
playoffs are different. we beat them twice at home, they beat us in ot at home twice. shadow ovechkin, and not play the "money guys" aka the fourth line which got burned on the tying goal against them get traffic on kolzig. if you had to play the devils, sens, or caps, i think most people here would choose the caps. say what you want about us 5-0 against the devils, brodeur + playoffs scare the hell outta me.

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You think it would be an easy series taking 4 games from the Caps?
No, it won't be easy, but none of those teams would play lights out either.

If Washington makes it (I hope they do), they will most likely not win the first round. Not just yet, anyway. They are a young team. Folks need to remember this, there is a whole lot of pressure and a whole different atmosphere in the playoffs.

See the Penguins and all their talent, etc...

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If this team gets in, they have a chance against any team in the East.

02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If this team gets in, they have a chance against any team in the East.
A chance, for sure. I dont think we beat the Sens or the Habs. Frankly, I feel we escaped with wins against a Habs team that made us look like peewee players out there at times. We won because Huet was borderline garbage out there.

Also, I think the Canes would probably beat us in a 7 game series. They are too fast, and too aggressive for us, and I think Cam Ward is good enough to steal some games for them, even if his numbers dont prove that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think the Rangers can beat any team in the East in a 7 game series when they are on their game.

Honestly.

Problem is they arent consistent enough, which could be said for almost every other team in the East.

Lets face it, any team can beat any team in the East, with Ottawa having the advantage because of home ice advantage (or any of the top 4 seeds).

Thats why making the playoffs is huge, if your in you have a shot at the cup.

Look at what the Giants did.

I dont see the conference finals out of the realm of possibility either, but on the same note this team is maddeningly inconsistent and its such a roller coaster ride that the faith i've lost in them tells me otherwise.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
NYRangers09

Keep in mind that we have a lot of proven talent in the playoffs. Even though Drury hasnt had an all star season he is a guarantee in the playoffs.

All we need to do is trade Jagr and get Marian Hossa to replace him to play with Gomez and we are good to go. TRUE BLUE 08!!!!

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
A chance, for sure. I dont think we beat the Sens or the Habs. Frankly, I feel we escaped with wins against a Habs team that made us look like peewee players out there at times. We won because Huet was borderline garbage out there.

Also, I think the Canes would probably beat us in a 7 game series. They are too fast, and too aggressive for us, and I think Cam Ward is good enough to steal some games for them, even if his numbers dont prove that.
Heres the wildcard though, Lundqvist.

If he plays all world - thats a world of difference.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Heres the wildcard though, Lundqvist.

If he plays all world - thats a world of difference.
unfortunately that is a big if these days. Jagr playing like Jagr would also make a world of difference as well.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
unfortunately that is a big if these days. Jagr playing like Jagr would also make a world of difference as well.
Gotta agree there.

Old
02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
ruckus*

For whatever reason this team can't put games together. It has seemed all year that once they win two or three in a row they take things for granted and expect it to keep working and it doesn't. They have the ability to win a playoff series versus anyone. And that includes Ottawa. Martin Gerber does not scare me at all. And if this team, which I believe it can, commits to their defensive system and is ready for every game (like it or not people, the playoffs totally change the mentality for these players. It seems ridiculous to say that because we wonder why they won't start playing like that now since they're not guaranteed to make it, but if they get in, the entire mindset changes) they have the ability to beat anyone, hands down. Will they? Who knows. Just get there.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
BlueShirtsFan86

I'm a pretty big believer in sticking with the team through thick and thin. I believe they can do it. They are going to have to work hard, but they can do it. I just prefer to be optimistic though, even if I'm a blind fan!

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 06:29 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
I think the Rangers can beat any team in the East in a 7 game series when they are on their game.
No they won't. That awsome line in Ottawa would skin Rangers alive worse than what they did to Pitts, NJ, and Buff. I mean come on, where is the D to shut them down??

Forget the rest of the team.

It would be an accomplishment if they forced a 5th game vs healthy Ottawa.

Remember all this talk of other teams even thinking they got a chance in the east like Montreal, Philly....was due to Heatley missing a month and Alfredsson overlaping 2weeks. B4 that it was a pipe dream.

forget the stillman commodore trade for a sec.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
No they won't. That awsome line in Ottawa would skin Rangers alive worse than what they did to Pitts, NJ, and Buff. I mean come on, where is the D to shut them down??

Forget the rest of the team.

It would be an accomplishment if they forced a 5th game vs healthy Ottawa.

Remember all this talk of other teams even thinking they got a chance in the east like Montreal, Philly....was due to Heatley missing a month and Alfredsson overlaping 2weeks. B4 that it was a pipe dream.

forget the stillman commodore trade for a sec.
Lundqvist.

If Lundqvist was playing all world he can beat any team. You dont think he can outplay Gerber or Emery?

I agree, Ottawa would pound the Rangers 8 out of 10 series. But werent the Patriots supposed to kill the Giants too?

The defense stepped up. Some area of the team has to be abnormally good for that to happen, and the Rangers have that weapon in Lundqvist. If the Rangers were to beat the Sens, that would be the man everyone would point to.

I know im being abnormally positive, especially for a guy who's lost a lot of faith in this team over the last 2 months, but i'll never ever say that winning a series is impossible. If you are in the playoffs you have a chance.

Old
02-12-2008, 09:58 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Lundqvist.

If Lundqvist was playing all world he can beat any team. You dont think he can outplay Gerber or Emery?

I agree, Ottawa would pound the Rangers 8 out of 10 series. But werent the Patriots supposed to kill the Giants too?

The defense stepped up. Some area of the team has to be abnormally good for that to happen, and the Rangers have that weapon in Lundqvist. If the Rangers were to beat the Sens, that would be the man everyone would point to.

I know im being abnormally positive, especially for a guy who's lost a lot of faith in this team over the last 2 months, but i'll never ever say that winning a series is impossible. If you are in the playoffs you have a chance.

Exactly. Which is why the most important thing is getting there. Because you really never do know.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Blueshirt Special

I love Henrik but I think it is unrealistic to hope he will carry us through ANY playoff round on his own.

We still need to score.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
beastly115

Who has that picture of the Titanic and Renney saying, "All aboard!"?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:20 AM
chosen

No team in the East is particularly scary but with yesterday's trade, Ottawa may finally have two good offensive lines and Commodore might help. And if Crosby comes back strong and Fleury recaptures his potential I wouldn't be shocked to see them steamroll through the East.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Ola

I think there is a false safty to compare this season to our last season.

The NHL is changing tremendously after the lockout; the conditions are diffrent -- and it will defenitly take another 2-3 years before we start to see the final product. The NHL is exactly following the curve from Europe after the redline was removed, and in Europe the game kept changing from year to year for atleast 6-7 years.

In fact, last year, many of "the top" teams where teams that started really hot and won allot early in the season, and then natrually got allot of confident and kept winning over christmas.

But late in the year, allot of other teams found their game, this especially happend to teams with more advanced systems, teams that wanted to rely more on their team game, moving the puck et c, improved allot in relation to thoose teams who played a simple style of NA game.

The results where that many teams streaked from behind, and we was one of them. There was allot of room to do so. STL and Colorado in the West where other examples. I think we saw it in the PO's when we played Atlanta who had the 3rd seed, and we had the 6th seed...

This year I think teams around us have become better, while we in some aspect have regressed.

We probably sit in the 8th spot after this week, possibly 9th. Its easy to think that all we need to do is play better then the team behind us in the standing, and we will make it.

But infact, its more likely that we got a 1-8 pts advantage in a league of around 7 teams where only one team will make the PO's.

If Florida goes on a insane streak, like Colorado did last year in the West, thoose 6 pts won't mean safe ground. If they go 17-5-2 in their last wed have to go 14-4-2 to make it. I am not worried about Florida. But its not unlikely that one team out of Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta, Florida, Islanders and Toronto will go on a crazy streak. NHL teams are streaky, and have always been like that. Its not unusual with long loosing streaks or winning streaks, especially not early and late in the year. Take 7 random teams any previous years and I am sure one of them will have had a great record the last 25 games in a season.

So we probably, I think its likely, have to catch either Boston, Philly, NJD or Pittsburgh to make it.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Ola

When I compare us to last season, there is one big diffrence. We had a 1st line that spent 90% of the time in the attacking zone game after game, all season.

Allot of people then argued about what it mattered, since they didn't shoot enough, or score extremely much. But I do think it really mattered. We won momentum. We kept the other team from scoring. More importantly we completly broke their gameplan by circling the puck in their end at the minimum 30% of the time.

We are better in some aspects this year compared to last. Gomez is more durable then Nyls. But while Nyls looked a bit broken down at times late in the season and late in the series against Buffalo, he still played darn well most of the time. We got more gamewinners, more experience. But we don't got that 1st line that from time to time was the most dominating in the league. And Lundqvist needs to get back on track too.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I agree about the game changing thats a good point.

I also agree about the type of game that is played toward the end of the year.

I think if favors the Rangers.

• Less running and gunning (which the Rangers cannot do)
• Important games when the big players step up, Drury...
• Low scoring games
• Big Division games

Similar to last season when the goin got tough the Rangers got going. Its no surprise that the Rangers are beating up the division rivals and 0-7 vs. the Western Conference. Gomez and other players may think its just "one of those things" when asked about it, but the truth is the Rangers play better in big games and WIN when the pressure is on. They LOSE when teams come in like the Lightning, LA and Phoenix. Teams they should beat . Weve seen it the last 3 seasons.

13-6-0 in their division, they should be in 1st place with a record like that.

Problem is, there are SO many division games at the end of the year (13 out of the last 17 to be exact), you wonder if they can sustain that and not get burned out at the same time. Theyll need someone(s) to get hot.

Old
02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I agree if the King plays his game, the Rangers can make it to the conference finals, but the Sens just improved and my pick is Pittsburgh to get to the cup finals. All they need is a tweak and Conklin not to implode, but watching Malkin without Sid, is really impressive and when Sid returns, they will be tough to beat. I never thought Malkin would be this good, never questioning his skill, but he surprised me with his character. I was wrong about him.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote