HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Neck Guards

View Poll Results: Do you wear a neck guard?
Yes 9 17.65%
Yes, but only because I have to 4 7.84%
No 24 47.06%
No, but I'm considering it 14 27.45%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Neck Guards

In light of the Zednik incident. Who wears em and who doesn't?

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-10-2008 at 09:29 PM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
lotus

It gets mild consideration after seeing the video. But I feel like it won't save me. Also, if it can save me...then it's just a million different kinds of uncomfortable I'm sure.

Show me a comfy, protective, cheap (sexy looking helps, if it exists) neckguard, and I consider it again =\

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Loto68

No, and I was on the ice watching my friend and d-partner get cut on the neck with a skate. Luckily it missed the Jugular and the guy's skate was relatively dull.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:50 PM
SilverSeven

Ive always worn one. Have no comfort issues at all.

There are many pieces of equipment that are more uncomfortable.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

There's no reason why every player in the league shouldn't be wearing a neck guard. If I was a player & saw this incident, it was set me straight in a heart beat! As you can see, it doesn't take much to cut you...

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
OilerNut*

You can't really protect yourself from freak accidents. You could also be check head first into the boards and have your neck snapped. Chances are that you are more likely to die driving to/from the rink.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Sensfanman

If it actually affects your game that much...well you must have head issues hahaha.

Seriously though I always where it every since my brother was saved by one. After a close win, some ****** on the other team cross checks him and steps on his neck. My dad almost killed that kid (I was like 8?) and if not for the neck guard...well I don't want to think about.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm in the No, but I'm considering it category. That's just some scary crap and it's scary to think that something like that could kill you playing adult league hockey or any other minor hockey for that matter. If that were to happen in a beer league there would be no medical staff there to save you, you're done.

BTW, how's this look? You'll just be one of the cool turtleneck guys
http://www.oceanhockey.com/IBS/Simpl.../25962699.html

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-11-2008 at 08:50 AM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I do.

I have one of the turtle neck shirts as well as just a neck guard. We have to wear them in our league and for tournaments as well as mouthguards now.

I've been clipped, it ran down my cage and caught my neck. Wasn't very deep but it still bled a lot.

My one brother refuses to wear one.

02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Korkki

I got to say that it is stupidity not to use one. They weigh nothing and it makes you a much more safe. I hope this makes all of you think about your safety.

I have a little example from my work, there was a little accident on laboratory where one person got acid to his face. There were luckily no harms, but after that many started to wear safety glasses. That some kind of waked people that anything could happen, so I hope the Zednik case will wake other players to wear neck protector.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Gino 14

The sky is falling, the sky is falling........

I'm a big believer in player safety, but I just don't see the whole neckguard thing. I agree it may help to prevent a serious injury, but how often do these injuries actually occur? You probably are more at risk driving to and from the rink. Next some will be calling for all-body kevlar.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

the skate will cut through the neck gaurd. i only wear them in games because i have to

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:21 AM
LilWinger11

I bought one when I started playing because I wasn't sure if they were required. They weren't, and no one else was wearing one, so I've never worn mine. I've only ever done a couple of clinics and some pickup/open hockey- no checking or anything. But yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably start wearing it. I'm several inches shorter than most of the people I play with, and I'm often out there with beginner adults who don't skate too well. A freak fall by one of them with me nearby...

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

I am thinking about picking up one of those Itech neckguard shirts. I'd like to get a 'technical shirt' anyway. I'm sick of wearing old t-shirts.
I don't care if I look like a nerd for wearing gear. Even the 'cool' guys still have full gear on. The only difference is the face shield and neck protector. Everyone wears shin pads, gloves, pants, jock, shoulder pads, helmets, etc. You're decked out like a storm trooper to go play hockey, what's an extra little piece of gear. I don't understand the mentality of these guys.
It's like 'Err, hey, I am only wearing 98% of the protective gear and you have on 99% of the gear, so you're totally not cool.'

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I'm a big believer in player safety, but I just don't see the whole neckguard thing. I agree it may help to prevent a serious injury, but how often do these injuries actually occur?
I hope that most people do not have the same "it won't happen to me" attitude. And who would be better models for kids and minor players than NHL players.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:46 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
I said yes...but I have been leaving it in the bag lately. I got into the frame of mind something won't happen to me and every time I do that I get a reminder. Same with taking off my ear flaps a few months ago and I got plunked in the ear splitting it open. I go for a half visor and see a teammate get high-sticked in the face...soo definitely looks like the neckguard is going back on. Plus playing with noob adult leaguers you never know who is going to take a flop or let their stick swing too high.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:07 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The sky is falling, the sky is falling........

I'm a big believer in player safety, but I just don't see the whole neckguard thing. I agree it may help to prevent a serious injury, but how often do these injuries actually occur? You probably are more at risk driving to and from the rink. Next some will be calling for all-body kevlar.
Same thing was said about seat belts & airbags.

Hell, the same was said about HELMETS too. It amazes me how many pros don't use some sort of face shield, considering one accident could end a player's career. Lose an eye, you could be done.

My younger bro started wearing one about a month ago and he says he can't even feel it. He has one of the Kevlar guards and they are designed to prevent cuts, not stabs (like being stepped on) or shots.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
DaveROR

I picked one up with the rest of my gear since I'm just starting to play and having watched the begineer league before I figured a neckguard would at least help reduce the energy of high sticks..

DaveROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

im not a fan of the visor either. i thought i would be when i just practiced for fun bet its uncomfortable (yes besides fogging which can be stopped it gets fogged from the heat coming from your head. It traps all of the heat in front of your face. So i stopped wearing it

Old
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
always have always will

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveROR View Post
I picked one up with the rest of my gear since I'm just starting to play and having watched the begineer league before I figured a neckguard would at least help reduce the energy of high sticks..
Normal one won't help with that as they are thin. The only neckguard I can think of that would help is the Maltese gel one.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Airborne Troll*

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

the more i think the more i will want to wear them in the games but i still wont in practice

Old
02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
As a goalie, I always wear mine, even when just horsing around on the backyard rink.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint View Post
As a goalie, I always wear mine, even when just horsing around on the backyard rink.
Well considering goalies are usually down on the ice with about 5 players crashing to the net, it makes sense.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote