HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best/Cheapest place to buy Goalie equip (chest protect+mask)

Old
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Best/Cheapest place to buy Goalie equip (chest protect+mask)

Hey all,

I just started playing again.. first time since high school.

I found all my equipment except for my chest protector and goalie mask.

What are some good sites to buy both for a reasonable price?

Appreciate the help. Also any recommendations are welcomed!

ITH

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
I used to wear Don Simmons gear..... His stuff, not the name brand. Equally as good. Look on the site for 'clearance" YOU CANNOT BEAT THE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can get pads or like 400, catchers/blocked for 200 each..... new.. good stuff (matrix2 line)

search online for it

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
I refuse to buy DonSimmons gear, but it's not bad gear. I just despise their marketing practices. I'd look on eBay sometimes stores close out gear there at really good prices.

Any of the following wouldn't be bad either, just check the clearance sections:

www.hockeygiant.com
www.goaliemonkey.com
www.hockeyoverstock.com

Good luck!

-- George.

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

type in discount hockey gear into a search site and you'll find stuff cheap. I just ordered a nikebauer one90 stick for $90 when it was listed from $160-$169 everywhere else heres the link to the site:

totalhockey.net

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
BaconStrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
type in discount hockey gear into a search site and you'll find stuff cheap. I just ordered a nikebauer one90 stick for $90 when it was listed from $160-$169 everywhere else heres the link to the site:

totalhockey.net
A bunch of my stuff is from ebay/buy and sell. You probably don't need the be all and end all of chest protectors (what quality are you against anyways?) but don't skimp on the helmet.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:25 PM
DevsFan84

You might want to check out an Eagle Sentry 2 chest protector. Its about $230 or so online, and is extremely mobile and protective out of the box. The only thing I don't like are the straps, which had to be reinforced after 3 games.

For a mask, don't skimp. The cheapest Itech I would consider is an NV7 (don't even think about sticking your head in a 1000 or 2000 series) You can get a Koho GF570 from Goalie Monkey's clearance section for under $200 and is outstanding for the price. (If you don't believe me...(Read this review

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
in the hall

thanks so much for the help

its just pick up hockey so i don't need top of the line.. i also am not looking to break the bank.

is it really necessary for me to get a really good mask? i thought they were all generally decent, despite huge differences in price.

i was actually considering the cheapest itech mask, which is in the 1000 series, so that concerns me, why so against it?

Old
02-11-2008, 11:46 PM
in the hall

as for a chest protector.. anyone know much about this one?

http://www.totalhockey.net/tab3.asp?item=1805

went from 350 to 99.. close out

Old
02-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post

is it really necessary for me to get a really good mask? i thought they were all generally decent, despite huge differences in price.

i was actually considering the cheapest itech mask, which is in the 1000 series, so that concerns me, why so against it?
Yes, it's necessary to get a good mask. I had an Itech 1000 series and even weak shots to the head stung. I'd get a mask like the Envy 9, which is in the $300 dollar range. Expensive, but worth it.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 06:39 AM
DevsFan84

It is absolutely essential to get a good mask. If you get one of those cheap Itech masks, you WILL regret it. Check out goaliestore.com and search "widowmaker" to see what people say about those masks. Those guys know what they're talking about.

I don't know anything about that TPS chest protector, but thats an awfully big discount. Do some research. And make sure you can return it if it sucks. With goalie equipment, I've found you usually get what you pay for.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

ebay, man ... You can find a butt load of new, but "outdated" items and barely used (as in someone who thought they wanted to play and used it once) items at more than reasonable prices.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
eleventy

That chest protector will do you just fine, esp. for pick-up. Just make sure it fits properly and comfortably.

And there's two places where you should NEVER go cheap when it comes to playing goal: your helmet, and your goal jock. I agree that, for someone just playing pick-up, you don't need to buy the top-of-the-line, "nhl spec/protection" stuff, but don't go for the dirt cheap stuff either. You still need to be well protected.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
bekuz thats wayr ur brane livs and u dont wana hert yer brane and b dum.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

As a member of the goaliestore.com boards, listen to me; DO NOT buy a cheap mask. Everyone else on here said so as well.
Even if you're playing beer league there are still a) players with heavy shots, b) players that cannot aim and will hit your head, and c) players with heavy shots that cannot aim and will hit you in the head.
Personally, I'd go with the Envy 7. It's basically the replacement to the 4600 which was the mask of the CHL. The price is right, it looks sweet, and you'll save your brain. What more could you want?

BTW...If you were seriously thinking about the 1000 series, think about this story that went around some of the goalie boards.
A kid playing at some high-school level decided to wear a cheap mask (although a better one than the 1000 series) thinking that he could get away with it. Well, he couldn't; a puck got him square in the forehead and his mask gave way. He now has trouble with his motor skills, seeing, and short-term memory. He might not even be able to finish school with everyone else, let alone continue to play hockey.

Once you wreck your mellon, there's no going back.

***Oh yeah, as for the monkey-suit that you're looking at, it should be fine as long as you don't mind the occasional stinger and/or bruise. That being said, if you check eBay, you can often find older "PRO" models for $200-$400 new.

Goaltending wasn't meant to be cheap.

Last edited by the_pen_is_mightier: 02-12-2008 at 03:54 PM.
the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote