HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny/Jagr and the Rangers

Old
02-12-2008, 02:07 AM
levski87

vCash: 500
Shanny/Jagr and the Rangers

I've been reading most of the posts on this website recently and I can sense that most people don't seem to like Shanny to much. The truth is, I'd rather have Shanny than Jagr. Shanny has one of the most accurate and fast shots in the game today. Granted, he is old and lost much of his speed. He isn't a great puck handler but he can certainly shoot. It feels like the Rangers are afraid to shoot nowadays, just look at the PP. Its just a bunch of cycling around the boards. I remember Shanny shooting the puck during a PP vs Toronto about 3-5 times. The truth is that, he is much better than Jagr CURRENTLY. Hes not afraid to shoot, which the rest of the team should understand.

Does no one get the feeling that Jagr just doesn't care?? Teammates are suppose to look to their captain for an answer, but Jagr seems to shrug everything off with the whole "... thats just how it is" attitude. Thats a Captain?... My idea of improvement is :

1) Get rid of this whole cycling the pick in the offensive zone, it just ends up to a turnover always. We cant always depend on garbage goals... One Question, Why does Renney actually play this style? Does he feel that there isn't enough depth to score a decent goal?

2) Get Jagr off the PP ASAP. Add speed to it! Maybe watch how Montreal does it, and then apply it to us? No?..

3) Rangers have no heart in their playing! It stems from Renney to the Captain, Jagr. Simply, give the Captain title to the player that WANTS to win and shows it night in and night out. We need an emotional boost to start winning. It's not that we are a bad team, its the fact that we just don't care to win.

Oh btw, an answer to WHY people like to play for the Rangers. First of all, I doubt most players to come here to play in MSG. Granted it is an amazing arena with a deep past, but thats not the real motive. Money talks! Thats why Drury is here and thats why Gomez is here. We are one of the few teams that can give players such a highly valued contract!.. Throw in a penthouse in NY and it pretty much sums up why they "like" to play here.

Any opinions?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Forever Blue

I bet if you polled people, atleast 3/4 of this board "likes" Shanny more than Jagr. People don't dislike Shanny, but he had been playing very poorly for weeks before he was benched. In the beginning of the season, and even for a lot of the time he was struggling, he was one of the most popular Rangers. Jagr's style of play leads to frustration, unless he's playing lights out.

As far as the PP, I don't think Renney, the coaches, or the organization neccessarily agree with the style. They made major long term investments this summer in two players who have a much different style than Jagr. But until Jagr leaves, whether it's in the next couple or weeks or at the end of the season, they're going to allow him to still have the same power he had when he WAS arguably the best offensive player in the NHL. I expect the structure of the team, specifically the offense and PP, will change dramatically next year when Drury/Gomez are the "leaders" and not Jagr/Straka.

Also, I disagree that CURRENTLY, Shanny is better than Jagr. Shanny's been terrible recently without the puck, while Jagr has actually given more of a consistant effort on defense. Perhaps when Shanny comes back, he'll return to being the player he was before.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
levski87

It shouldn't matter if its Straka and Jagrs team as of right now. Changes need to be made and if that includes Jagr being replaced as Captain, then so be it. Anything to make the team better.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
It shouldn't matter if its Straka and Jagrs team as of right now. Changes need to be made and if that includes Jagr being replaced as Captain, then so be it. Anything to make the team better.
I don't disagree. But unless Jagr's traded (which is highly doubtful), it won't happen this season.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Onion Boy

Jagr has clearly lost a step, but I certainly wouldn't say he doesn't care. His backchecking and commitment to defense would say otherwise.

If you look at what he says to the media, it's basically the same as Shanny. Both guys speak as if they've been around for a while and are unwilling to get too worked up over a bad game or two...unlike most fans I hasten to add.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:38 AM
redfzn

I'd rather play a poorly underachieving Shanahan than a poorly underachieving Jagr any day, even if Shanny's play away from the puck has been slacking.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Kostik

I think Rangers should keep one of Shanny/Jagr for next season.
They shouldn't get rid of two top6 right wingers.
Ideally, Sather will sign Hossa and one of Shanny/Jagr.
Surprisingly , for me Jagr is better choice.
Shanny has lost the step physically, Jagr is still able to play 20+ minutes and produce some points. JJ is also more "durable", heck, Shanny had to take his middle season vacation now because he has worn off.

Imo whole captaincy thing is just overblown...and i don't understand why are some people still obsessed with it.
And for everyone who is speaking about Shanny's great character, just remember how he ripped off Rangers with this year contract.

In the end, it will maybe come down to this:
Who would be able to take bigger paycut to play for the Rangers.
Would i sign Jagr for 4M$? Hell yeah.
Would i sign Shanny for more than 2,5M$? Hell no.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 07:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
WHY people like to play for the Rangers. First of all, I doubt most players to come here to play in MSG. Granted it is an amazing arena with a deep past, but thats not the real motive. Money talks! Thats why Drury is here and thats why Gomez is here. We are one of the few teams that can give players such a highly valued contract!.. Throw in a penthouse in NY and it pretty much sums up why they "like" to play here.

Any opinions?
They're not allowed to throw in Penthouses.

Theres a Cap. Quality players get PAID. A dollar goes further in almost EVERY CITY in the USA than it will in NEW YORK CITY. If it was JUST for money, players get better valued contracts in other cities. Once upon a time the Rangers could baffle you with overpayment, but no more.

NY has it's magic appeal to people of all careers, lifestyles.

The old " if I can make it there I can make it anywhere"

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I dont think we can assess Jagr and Shanny until the season is over.

Those two old geezers are just saving it for the playoffs

1/2 a

Old
02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
I've been reading most of the posts on this website recently and I can sense that most people don't seem to like Shanny to much. The truth is, I'd rather have Shanny than Jagr. Shanny has one of the most accurate and fast shots in the game today. Granted, he is old and lost much of his speed. He isn't a great puck handler but he can certainly shoot. It feels like the Rangers are afraid to shoot nowadays, just look at the PP. Its just a bunch of cycling around the boards. I remember Shanny shooting the puck during a PP vs Toronto about 3-5 times. The truth is that, he is much better than Jagr CURRENTLY. Hes not afraid to shoot, which the rest of the team should understand.

Does no one get the feeling that Jagr just doesn't care?? Teammates are suppose to look to their captain for an answer, but Jagr seems to shrug everything off with the whole "... thats just how it is" attitude. Thats a Captain?... My idea of improvement is :

1) Get rid of this whole cycling the pick in the offensive zone, it just ends up to a turnover always. We cant always depend on garbage goals... One Question, Why does Renney actually play this style? Does he feel that there isn't enough depth to score a decent goal?
2) Get Jagr off the PP ASAP. Add speed to it! Maybe watch how Montreal does it, and then apply it to us? No?..

3) Rangers have no heart in their playing! It stems from Renney to the Captain, Jagr. Simply, give the Captain title to the player that WANTS to win and shows it night in and night out. We need an emotional boost to start winning. It's not that we are a bad team, its the fact that we just don't care to win.

Oh btw, an answer to WHY people like to play for the Rangers. First of all, I doubt most players to come here to play in MSG. Granted it is an amazing arena with a deep past, but thats not the real motive. Money talks! Thats why Drury is here and thats why Gomez is here. We are one of the few teams that can give players such a highly valued contract!.. Throw in a penthouse in NY and it pretty much sums up why they "like" to play here.

Any opinions?
Because he is a bad coach. The sooner he goes, the sooner we start winning. Simple

02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I think Rangers should keep one of Shanny/Jagr for next season.
They shouldn't get rid of two top6 right wingers.
Ideally, Sather will sign Hossa and one of Shanny/Jagr.
Surprisingly , for me Jagr is better choice.
If no combination of these RW's and Center's has really been as productive as they need to be, it's tough to make a case that at least one of them should be brought back on principle.

All I want to know is, who do Drury and Gomez want to play with?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
squishy

Take Jagr off the team and force Shanny to go up against teams top checkers and defenseman and it doesn't matter how accurate his shot is, because he'll never get the opportunity to use it.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:58 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
I'd rather play a poorly underachieving Shanahan than a poorly underachieving Jagr any day, even if Shanny's play away from the puck has been slacking.
If you want to categorize what fans think of Shanahan, that is probably what 90% of them think.

02-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyR424 View Post
Because he is a bad coach. The sooner he goes, the sooner we start winning. Simple
Renney's record as head coach of the NYR: 119 - 95 - 29, plus two trips to playoffs. That looks like a winning coach to me. This Renney bashing is ridiculous.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Any opinions?
Think you're way off.

Original 6 team, in the greatest city in the world might play into the decision making just a little bit. Not to mention MSG, one of the best training facilities for any team and the fact that you are treated like royalty behind the scenes.

Yes, money is always a big factor i'm not naive, but it goes for everywhere around the league. NY is not the only place that shells out big contracts - plus theres a salary cap now. Maybe in the 90's you could drive home this argument but not now.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:04 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
I totally agree.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:05 AM
coolbean04

If Jagr isn't scoring or getting assists, he's useless. He brings nothing else to the table.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont know, most teams are building their defensive strategy around Jagr's 20+ minutes and not Shannys 15 or so.

When was the last time Shanny got double teamed, or matched-up with the oppositions best defender for the entire game?

Jagr still controls the puck like no one else on this team. If you subtract Jagr and put Shanahan in his spot you lose a ton of possession time.

Careful here guys. Jagr is slumping on the stat sheet - but there still is a lot of value to his game.

I'm just as down on him as everyone else and if Sather can get a king's ransom in return for the guy then so be it. But i'm not about to cut the guy loose just like that. He does have value if hes not scoring. He has value whether it is noticed or not.

He still is Jagr, and can run out 10 goals in 8 games at any moment, no matter how frustrating his lack of scoring is right now.

Old
02-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
If Jagr isn't scoring or getting assists, he's useless. He brings nothing else to the table.
Well, that's just wrong. As stated above, Jags can hold the puck for an insane amount of time in the offensive zone, and can muscle it out of the defensive zone. Yes, I would like to see him score more, but that doesn't mean he has no value.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:35 AM
mstraka82

Jagr is amazing, i have never seen him backcheck like this year, why dont people understand that he is annoyed tooooooo, he loves new york , and is not giving up, and i am not gonna give up on him, he is gonna turn it on at the right time he needs a little backup not boos.

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

He still is Jagr, and can run out 10 goals in 8 games at any moment, no matter how frustrating his lack of scoring is right now.
So true.....

Old
02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Jagr is amazing, i have never seen him backcheck like this year, why dont people understand that he is annoyed tooooooo, he loves new york , and is not giving up, and i am not gonna give up on him, he is gonna turn it on at the right time he needs a little backup not boos.
Good article about him in the Times yesterday

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/sp...ey/11jagr.html

Old
02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Careful here guys. Jagr is slumping on the stat sheet - but there still is a lot of value to his game.
I understand with your point, but I don't think it's a good strategy to go into games with. Having your top offensive players simply "burn up" possession time doesn't work unless your secondary players are generating the offense they aren't. You can stick with Jagr, but still need to find someone to generate the offense he no longer can.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
BlueShirtsFan86

If Jagr doesn't score he's useless? Are you kidding me, do we watch the same games? The guy can dominate in the offensive zone, and it seems he's playing more defensivily this year then previous ones with the Rangers. He also strips the puck away from opponents often and turns the play around. He probably doesn't score much because he's the most targeted player on the ice, other teams know it and even fans in other teams who have no connection to him know it as we can always hear it!

Besides putting points on the board, I'd like to see Jagr move to the bench quicker, that area really pisses me off. He's been showing Urgency in other parts of the game, why not here when Line changes should be quick, know?

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I understand with your point, but I don't think it's a good strategy to go into games with. Having your top offensive players simply "burn up" possession time doesn't work unless your secondary players are generating the offense they aren't. You can stick with Jagr, but still need to find someone to generate the offense he no longer can.
Well its not like he isnt getting chances i mean come on he got 6 glorious chances in the LA game.

Hes snake bitten for whatever reason. If he was just holding the puck in the corner and killing time thats one thing, but that line hasnt been that bad. They have created a lot lately.

Now of course you dont go into a game with a strategy of puck possession, i agree, but my point was if you took away Jagr the flow of the team would be different to the point of a lot more shots coming the other way.

But come to think of it, which is kinda funny - he Rangers have a better winning percentage when outshot instead of outshooting...