HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Neck Guards

View Poll Results: Do you wear a neck guard?
Yes 9 17.65%
Yes, but only because I have to 4 7.84%
No 24 47.06%
No, but I'm considering it 14 27.45%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
Same thing was said about seat belts & airbags.

Hell, the same was said about HELMETS too. It amazes me how many pros don't use some sort of face shield, considering one accident could end a player's career. Lose an eye, you could be done.

My younger bro started wearing one about a month ago and he says he can't even feel it. He has one of the Kevlar guards and they are designed to prevent cuts, not stabs (like being stepped on) or shots.
Look at the rate of injuries that occur to the head even with a helmet and then compare that to the number of neck injuries that occur from skate cuts. There's just no comparison.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Assuming that the majority here play men's league, most players in men's league use a cage or visor. Although I have seen a lot of guys who use neither, but whatever. Adding a stinking neck guard shouldn't be a huge deal. I like the Itech shirt and I actually ordered one. If the guard really does end up feeling like crap I'll just cut it off or something.

EDIT: I just got the Itech thing, it took like a day to get it because I'm so close to Ocean (They're in NJ). The neck thing is actually quite thin, I would say maybe half cm thick. It goes to the top of your neck like a turtleneck and there's a zipper on the back or the neck part so you can leave it a little looser. All-in-all not bad. The shirt is a moisture shirt, so that's a nice part about it. The shirt isn't tight, it's quite loose except around the arms. I got a large, I normally wear a medium shirt. I'll probably try to take the white stitching off so it just looks like a turtleneck
Anyway I can be a cool turtleneck guy, that's all.

Sorry for not shaving, lol

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-12-2008 at 12:03 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

The non-shave is okay, the jersey's not.

On-T: I don't wear one at practice, during games I have to.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
What's that ugly blue thing you are wearing?

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Look at the rate of injuries that occur to the head even with a helmet and then compare that to the number of neck injuries that occur from skate cuts. There's just no comparison.
Keep in mind the severity of the injury though. A cut throat (with the exception of the Pro Leagues which has doctors on hand) means you are pretty much dead.

Zednik in a beer league would be dead.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote