HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adjustments for game 7

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Savage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Adjustments for game 7

Just wondering what kind of adjustments if any you want the team to make?

One thing that I feel really needs to be addressed is the teams lack of effort to force the play to the left side of the arena.

As everyone knows Ottawa has a mediocore left wing at best and New Jersey beat them last year forcing the right wingers like Havlat, Alfredsson and Hossa to make the cross ice pass or dump it in because the centers on New Jersey would force the play at the neutral zone. Toronto has the proper centers to do so such as Reichel, Francis and Nieuwendyk who are all known for a decent to good defensive element in their game. Someone on the coaching staff needs to step up and do this because it'll force a lot more turnovers creating a lot more offence for this team.

Old
04-19-2004, 01:23 PM
wasting time

Line #1: Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Antropov. (sub: Domi)(sub: Mogilny) (27 minutes)

The Alfredsson line was scary last night against Franics and Mogilny and Roberts. I move Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Antropov together. Roberts and Nieuwendyk play deeper with Antropov playing high leveraging his shooting and defensive skills, and is too slow to trust getting caught up ice. This line needs Antropov as well for the face offs when Nieuwendyk gets kicked out of the circle. If the Leafs are down a goal I replace Antropov with Domi for an aggressive forecheck.

Line #2:
Ponikarovsky, Reichel, Tucker (19 minutes)
This is a forecheck line with Reichel as the set-up man and defensive safety net.

Line #3:
Fitzgerald, Stajan, Mogilny (12 minutes)
Maybe giving Mogilny a little more speed on his line will be effective. Mogilny plays the PP obviously.

Line #4:
Renberg, Francis, Domi (5 minutes)
Domi is going to play on all 3 lines here and there throughout the game. Francis will play the PP. renberg will get only 7-8 minutes. I put Renberg in over Kilger because even though Kilger is faster and has played OK, I go with the experience and size for a 1 game playoff.

1st PP:
Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Mogilny

2nd PP:
Ponikarovsky, Francis, Antropov

D Pairings:

McCabe, Leetch (27 minutes)
Kaberle, Klee (19 minutes)
Berg, Marchment (14 minutes)

Old
04-19-2004, 02:02 PM
ArtVandelei

They just need to send in 2 or 3 checkers instead of one. Whenever we pressured them in their own zone, they'd turn it over. Only the Domi line was doing that however, which is why they were getting the chances.

Also, our dmen have to start pinching in. And when I say dmen, I dont mean Marchment-like on that Hossa goal, I mean guys like Leech, Kabs and Mccabe, who are not only more dangerous on the pinch, but can recover better. I'd also like to see Leech carry the puck in a few more times

Also, we gotta be stronger on the puck. Instead of trying to chip the puck by the Sen in our own zone with one hand, while charging forward, just go into the puck forcefully. Too many times I've seen the players try to get cute and instead of getting the puck by the Sen checker, they end up behind him with the Sen gaining the puck.

Old
04-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Verbal Kint*

Pat Quinns worst mistake this series was how he's organized the forecheck we haven't been able to get a single thing going due to the failure to adapt to Ottawa's style of play.

Excuse me for the hastily drawn attachments.

Diagram A shows the current forecheck system. The puck is dumped around the boards and the Senators player (Sens players in red) picks it up along the boards. He then has two options, the forward in front of him or his fellow defnder to his right. One player from the Leafs (Leafs players in blue) pressures the puck carrier, however the other two players stay near the blue line ready for any rush to develop. The puck is then passed to one of the defenders two options and then up to another forward creating a two on two rush, giving the Senators access to our zone and allowing them to create pressure.

Diagram B shows what I believe the forecheck should look like. The initial forechecker remains in the same position, but then a second forechecker applys pressure to the second defenseman, limiting the puck carrier's options, who then can A) pass to the player in front of him or B) try and dump it out to one of the rushing wingers. To try and prevent both of these possibilities, the third forechecker closes off the lane to the middle of the ice and remains in position to check the Senator's player at the blue-line.

Basically a more in depth version of what Art was saying.

Last edited by Verbal Kint*: 04-19-2004 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
04-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Verbal Kint*

Of course getting it deep and keeping it there would be good too

Closed Thread