HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something I just saw in the Edmonton Journal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
  #1
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,522
vCash: 500
Something I just saw in the Edmonton Journal

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...065eef1&k=4531

Quote:
- The Sharks have too many forwards and big Steve Bernier, who's been in and out of coach Ron Wilson's doghouse, might be a bargaining chip to get a defenceman at the deadline. Devin Setoguchi can take his spot in the lineup and Ryane Clowe is two or three weeks from returning from a knee injury.
DO IT POILE!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM
  #2
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,603
vCash: 500
Would we really trade with our most hated rival?

Would Koistenin/Klein be enough to land him?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:21 PM
  #3
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Would we really trade with our most hated rival?

Would Koistenin/Klein be enough to land him?
NEED: Top 6 Forward

HAVE: Too Many NHL ready Dmen

No, it'd probably take Suter, but they'd then have to add more, ie draft pick

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
  #4
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
I think I'm one of the few that just does not like Bernier's game. His hitting is more like thuggery than solid checking/physical play. In fact, I would compare his hits more to Brendan Witt variety - dumb and illegal.

I'll pass on Bernier. Note, I like the idea of bringing in a guy that is physical/can score. I just do not like Steve Bernier .

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:25 PM
  #5
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think I'm one of the few that just does not like Bernier's game. His hitting is more like thuggery than solid checking/physical play. In fact, I would compare his hits more to Brendan Witt variety - dumb and illegal.

I'll pass on Bernier. Note, I like the idea of bringing in a guy that is physical/can score. I just do not like Steve Bernier .
Come on ... please tell me you don't like the women's Olympic Hockey Tournament more than NHL Playoff Hockey ... and hitting is freaking hitting, period ... I guess you want the Preds to be one and done again in the playoffs this spring as well (If we match up with Anaheim, San Jose or any other big team, we will be, because we don't match up well with said teams, and we MUST begin to counter balance that)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
  #6
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
I wouldn't bat an eye if we moved Suter for Bernier. I think it's fair value-wise, we can afford it, and I love Bernier's game.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:04 AM
  #7
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Come on ... please tell me you don't like the women's Olympic Hockey Tournament more than NHL Playoff Hockey ... and hitting is freaking hitting, period ... I guess you want the Preds to be one and done again in the playoffs this spring as well (If we match up with Anaheim, San Jose or any other big team, we will be, because we don't match up well with said teams, and we MUST begin to counter balance that)
No - your not understanding my position. Its not the type of player/skillset that I dislike, it is Bernier in particular. I just feel like he is drastically overrated.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:51 AM
  #8
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,533
vCash: 500
Wow, Ryan Suter 21 points, Bernier (a forward) 22 points. I'd say San Jose would have to add and the Klein or Koistenen + would be the more likely move.

When Suter was paired with Weber they played great.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
  #9
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Come on ... please tell me you don't like the women's Olympic Hockey Tournament more than NHL Playoff Hockey ... and hitting is freaking hitting, period ... I guess you want the Preds to be one and done again in the playoffs this spring as well (If we match up with Anaheim, San Jose or any other big team, we will be, because we don't match up well with said teams, and we MUST begin to counter balance that)
Straw man argument.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
  #10
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Wow, Ryan Suter 21 points, Bernier (a forward) 22 points. I'd say San Jose would have to add and the Klein or Koistenen + would be the more likely move.

When Suter was paired with Weber they played great.
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
  #11
jstreet
Smashville
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,808
vCash: 1900
send Klein!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
  #12
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.
*checks Patrick Marleau's season* ... yup ... there's part of the reason right there

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:12 AM
  #13
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,533
vCash: 500
Just thought I'd take a moment to remind everyone.

Leipold sucks.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
  #14
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Just thought I'd take a moment to remind everyone.

Leipold sucks.
thank god Poile doesn't suck at drafting offensive defensemen ... yes he does

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:33 AM
  #15
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.
I think saying he is buried is an enormous stretch.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
  #16
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think saying he is buried is an enormous stretch.
I've seen him on a line with Goc and Rissmiller. That's pretty well buried.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
  #17
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I've seen him on a line with Goc and Rissmiller. That's pretty well buried.
This is because of his play on the ice, not because of the talent ahead of him.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
  #18
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,522
vCash: 500
Got a question ... are we in it to win it, or are we just spinning our ****in' wheels ... I'm sick and ****in' tired of the status quo ... you know, getting our ***** handed to us in the playoffs

a) we haven't seen Klein in a long ****in' time and IF he's going to be here a long time (according to our glorious leader) then we NEED to make room for him ... Preferably for a top 6 winger

b) Name me a forward who is on the trade block from the EC that is worth a damn ... forget Tampa, they're "making a run for the division"

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
  #19
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is because of his play on the ice, not because of the talent ahead of him.
how can you be sure? how many times have we seen our own forwards misused\given the icetime shaft by Trotz? It happens everywhere.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
  #20
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Basher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Murray KY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
trotz misuses forwards in an egregious manner...i want to say he is the benchmark for that category.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
  #21
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
how can you be sure? how many times have we seen our own forwards misused\given the icetime shaft by Trotz? It happens everywhere.
The Sharks have no scoring this year. Anyone that is producing at all is going to get the ice-time he deserves. Heck, Wilson finally just gave cheechoo back the first line spot in the past few weeks because NO ONE was earning the spot.

If he can't produce playing with Thorton (which he did) or Marleau (which he does), he isn't going to produce here.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
  #22
vipera1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Got a question ... are we in it to win it, or are we just spinning our ****in' wheels ... I'm sick and ****in' tired of the status quo ... you know, getting our ***** handed to us in the playoffs

a) we haven't seen Klein in a long ****in' time and IF he's going to be here a long time (according to our glorious leader) then we NEED to make room for him ... Preferably for a top 6 winger

b) Name me a forward who is on the trade block from the EC that is worth a damn ... forget Tampa, they're "making a run for the division"
Jeff Carter

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
  #23
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,533
vCash: 500
So many times we only look at the forwards when we talk of scoring. Scoring starts from the back end though, if SJ's defensemen aren't getting the pucks out to the forwards they'll have a tough time scoring.

Look at us, our defense puts our forwards in great position to score more, we dont' have top forwards talent wise but yet we put up good scoring numbers.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
  #24
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.

If he can't stay out of Wilson's doghouse, how can he avoid Trotz'? Is he exactly the type of player that Trotz would kill in both the media and in the lineup?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
  #25
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So many times we only look at the forwards when we talk of scoring. Scoring starts from the back end though, if SJ's defensemen aren't getting the pucks out to the forwards they'll have a tough time scoring.

Look at us, our defense puts our forwards in great position to score more, we dont' have top forwards talent wise but yet we put up good scoring numbers.
True, but San Jose has several offensively gifted defenseman. Additionally, their scoring forwards are HIGHLY talented.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.