HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Voracek

Old
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
KadoCH

vCash: 500
Voracek

The kid is tearing up the Q this year and I don't think eligible for the AHL next season so he'd have to return to Halifax if he doesn't make the Jackets correct?

Is this a possibility or is he preety much guranteed a spot on the Blue Jackets for next season. The Moose would be quite the team if he returned but I had a bit of a large bet last season that he'd be in the NHL for the 08-09 season so as a Halifax resident I'd be ok with it either way .

My thinking is it would stunt his developement playing in the Q but I'm not an NHL GM either.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Transported Upstater

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make Columbus next year.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Well I wouldn't say he's guaranteed a spot, if he doesn't make the team out of camp it's back to juniors for him.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:09 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Clearly the hope here is that he will be NHL ready for next season. But we had the same situation 2 seasons ago with Brule, who tore up the WHL and Memorial Cup in '06, then has struggled mightily with the big club. We've had much handwringing here about how they expected too much too soon from Gilbert, etc. I expect Howson & Hitch to be VERY cautious in promoting Jacob next season. He'll play his 10 games, and if there is any doubt of his abilities to contribute meaningful minutes, you'll get him back.

God only knows we need his playmaking abilities right now, but I see H&H acting cautiously.

Last edited by cbjpointman: 02-09-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
He is only 7 points behind the league leader in points despite playing 19 fewer games.

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
He is only 7 points behind the league leader in points despite playing 19 fewer games.

Actually he is only 1 point behind the league leader and hes played 17 less games. Thats actually incredible IMO. If he didnt play in the World Juniors hed probably be the league leader by 30-35 points.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Clearly the hope here is that he will be NHL ready for next season. But we had the same situation 2 seasons ago with Brule, who tore up the WHL and Memorial Cup in '06, then has struggled mightily with the big club. We've had much handwringing here about how they expected too much too soon from Gilbert, etc. I expect Howson & Hitch to be VERY cautious in promoting Jacob next season. He'll play his 10 games, and if there is any doubt of his abilities to contribute meaningful minutes, you'll get him back.

God only knows we need his playmaking abilities right now, but I see H&H acting cautiously.
Brule and Voracek aren't alike though. Voracek is not only scoring, but playing an "NHL" game already. Imo, Voracek could play 12 mins per game next year already in the NHL with increasing ice time as he gets accustomed to the nhl game.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
FromChaos22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Actually he is only 1 point behind the league leader and hes played 17 less games. Thats actually incredible IMO. If he didnt play in the World Juniors hed probably be the league leader by 30-35 points.
He missed some games at the beginning of the season as well as for the world juniors. He is going to be amazing!!!

FromChaos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
BeatsPerMinute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
He missed some games at the beginning of the season as well as for the world juniors. He is going to be amazing!!!
Yea he missed games because he was playing with Columbus, and then before the WJC he spent some time with his family in the Czech Republic (about 1 week or so). That's why he's missed so many games.
This guy is going to be real good. I watch Halifax play a lot and his vision is especially noticeable on the PP, where he plays the point. I've been very impressed by him.

BeatsPerMinute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Macster

I'm so mad I wasn't able to go to the Moose game tonight. Effing work...

Anyway Jake has 3 assists so far tonight, it's the first intermission and he's currently sitting tied for first in Q scoring with DiDomenico, who has a pair of assists so far tonight.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
He also took a week off to spend time with his family.

I love this kid.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Lsquared

The only player I've ever been more excited to see hit the ice for the Jackets was Rick Nash. Can't wait to see this kid play for the Jackets.

Lsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post

I agree completely, although I am excited to see him play those 9 games. Being so young, if he makes the team it will probably take several months to adapt to the NHL-but by April he should be go to imo...

Last edited by Robert: 02-09-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Jake extended his point streak to 18 games today. His team is struggling lately though despite being pre-season favorites to win it all. They sit in second play in the "conference/division"

02-09-2008, 08:17 PM
RDriesenUD

Ill be shocked if i dont read another 100 of these threads by the end of the month . Just keep him in the q next year.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
Ill be shocked if i dont read another 100 of these threads by the end of the month . Just keep him in the q next year.
its so true.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Macster

The Moose put up a real stinker tonight. They lost 10-6, and I'm not regretting missing this game any more. Jake finished with three helpers. DiDomenico had a pair, so he and Jake are tied at second with 80 points, but Dean Ouellet scored four points, so he's in first with 82 points.

GP:

Ouellet: 56
DiDomenico: 54
Jake: 39

If any of you are following the Moose, they have been playing quite awful lately. They are simply not gelling, even though the team is essentially healthy. The big trade deadline acquisition, Brad Marchand, has been a non-factor since he joined Hali, and he sat out tonight with a suspension for his second stick infraction.

Jake, Knotek and Logan MacMillan have been playing very well as a line, and have been consistent. The second line pairing of Hillier and Corsi have been great all season, but after that, the forwards are a bit of a cluster**** right now. Bryce Swan has flashes, likewise with Andrew White, but until the 6 through 12 forwards start bringing it on a consistent basis, the team will continue to struggle.

That's not even the biggest issue. The defense, which has had question marks since the beginning of the season but wasn't addressed at the deadlne or before, is the big problem. Tonight I think the "blame" can be put on them, be it missed assignments or just plain poor play. There are some guys who have been putting up points, but the goalies are being hung out to dry at times.

Some folks are upset with the play of the goalies, Pelletier and Yetman, but I think the problem is the D giving up too many quality scoring chances.

To finish things off, many people are calling for the coach's head, Cam Russell. Personally, I'd like to see a change, I think he's in over his head and maybe a coaching change will give the guys a boost, and the team can be energized more.

Anyway, just some thoughts for those of you who mentioned you are interested in following the Moose. They are still second in their division, and fifth in the league. That's simply not good enough though for a team that was built to be a contender for a league title, and a shot at the Mem Cup.

Old
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I almost made the trip to Halifax today to catch the game, I'm glad I didn't, I hate my provincial rival Titan and my gf would have shoved it in my face, her being from Bathurst and all.

As for Jake, regardless of statistics he's definitely the best player in the Q this year and it's going to be unfair for his opponents if he has to return here next year.

Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Spanky-X-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
To finish things off, many people are calling for the coach's head, Cam Russell. Personally, I'd like to see a change, I think he's in over his head and maybe a coaching change will give the guys a boost, and the team can be energized more.
Yeah, I'm a season ticket holder of the Moosehead ... the forwards could gel more, the defence is far from perfect, and the goaltending has had issues (although lately I think Pelltier has been pretty good). But I think the big problem is the coaching ... and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this team can win a championship with the current coaching staff.

As for Jake ... he's going to be very good in the NHL ... but let's not rush him ... let's leave him in Halifax for 1 more season after this .... pretty please?

Spanky-X- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky-X- View Post
Yeah, I'm a season ticket holder of the Moosehead ... the forwards could gel more, the defence is far from perfect, and the goaltending has had issues (although lately I think Pelltier has been pretty good). But I think the big problem is the coaching ... and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this team can win a championship with the current coaching staff.

As for Jake ... he's going to be very good in the NHL ... but let's not rush him ... let's leave him in Halifax for 1 more season after this .... pretty please?
Haha as a Jackets and Moose fan I am torn, I want to see Jake do well and be one of the first Jackets to make a major impact in his rookie season, meanwhile I'd love to be able to watch Jake dominate for another season here in Hali.

I was a season ticket holder up until two seasons ago, last year I didn't have anything but I went to about 70% of the home games and a few in Moncton and Sydney. I went with the 15 game pack this year, I was so happy they brought that back.

I just wish my work schedule would allow me to go back to being a STH.