HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Buyers, sellers, or do nothing?

View Poll Results: What do we do on the deadline?
Become Buyers 29 29.59%
Become Sellers 48 48.98%
Don't do anything 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Also who would you rather have:

Jagr or Hossa? Hossa
Straka or Brunnstrom? Brunnstrom
Cherepanov or Shanahan? Cherepanov
Avery or Bernier? Bernier
Prucha/Callahan or Setoguchi? Setoguchi
Malik/Mara or Stuart/Orpik? Stuart/Orpik
Rozsival or Liles? Liles

None of these are even debatable. The team can be so much deeper and better due to one smart deadline fire sale of guys who will be lost to free agency ANYWAY after NOT winning the Cup anyway.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Jagr or Hossa? Hossa
Rozsival or Liles? Liles

None of these are even debatable. The team can be so much deeper and better due to one smart deadline fire sale or guys who will be lost to free agency ANYWAY after NOT winning the Cup anyway.
I think all of those are no-brainers except for that one. I don't understand all this hype about the Setoguchi kid. I saw him, he ain't nothing special. He may be offensively better than Prucha or Callahan, but BOTH? Nah. I'd keep Prucha and Cally, sound defensively, can hit, and well, they have proven themselves, Setoguchi is streaky **** on skates.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Jagr or Hossa? Hossa
Rozsival or Liles? Liles

None of these are even debatable. The team can be so much deeper and better due to one smart deadline fire sale of guys who will be lost to free agency ANYWAY after NOT winning the Cup anyway.
I don't see the either or in these equations. How is it Hossa or Jagr. I have no idea what Brunnstrom is. For that matter, I can't say I take Cherepanov over Shanahan.

02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTIKA16 View Post
Mike Milbury did...I am dead serious
Well that should be telling enough.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont think there is any way the rangers will be sellers come the deadline. well...maybe if they lost every game between now and then, but even then i think theyd stand pat instead of selling.

they are too close to making the playoffs, and really, besides ottawa can beat any team in a 7 game series.

i think theyll be buyers, just not sure how aggressive they will be.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who projected the Rangers to make the Stanley Cup finals?

And if the Rangers are going to make moves that make sense, they might have to include some youth. Otherwise, what really are expecting back?
Apparently alot, according to people here.

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I don't see the either or in these equations. How is it Hossa or Jagr. I have no idea what Brunnstrom is. For that matter, I can't say I take Cherepanov over Shanahan.
You would take a 40 year old guy whose body is breaking down and can't skate anymore for 3 periods... over someone who is going to be one of the better goal scorers in the league for the next 10+ years?

And it is Hossa or Jagr, because in the summer you can sign Hossa to replace him. While you trade Jagr to a legitimate contender for big returns.

Brunnstrom may be an unknown, but so is Straka's ability to stay on the ice for a full season. Not to mention he can't buy a goal. At least Brunnstrom's athletic ability is not in decline. He is a fast, skilled, and much bigger then Straka at 6 foot 200 pounds.

I'll take the small risk of unkown over old, way past their prime players that we currently have.

Im sick of these last hurrah before i retire players coming into this organization. ENOUGH. It ain't working, and it is NOT exciting to watch Shanahan skate slower then grass grows everynight.

Old
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'll take the small risk of unkown over old, way past their prime players that we currently have.
Desiring unknown players gets you Evgeni Gusakov, and many laughs.

Unless its named Alexander Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby, takes what's already established and there.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Desiring unknown players gets you Evgeni Gusakov, and many laughs.

Unless its named Alexander Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby, takes what's already established and there.
next year, i would take the unknown in Brunnstrom over straka, who is another year older.....straka cant stay healthy and cant finish the puck....he would be a good third liner with the way he is playing....at leats brunnstrom has more size and better hands and is much much younger.....i would take that any day of the week

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You would take a 40 year old guy whose body is breaking down and can't skate anymore for 3 periods... over someone who is going to be one of the better goal scorers in the league for the next 10+ years?
I don't know that Cherepanov is going to be one of the better goal scorers in the league for the next 10 years. I don't know what he's going to be. We said the same thing about Pavel Brendl. And the 40 year old guy who's breaking down is second on the team in goals scored right now. Cherepanov is 1) no lock to come over next year and 2) no lock to score 17 goals next season if he does come over

Quote:
And it is Hossa or Jagr, because in the summer you can sign Hossa to replace him. While you trade Jagr to a legitimate contender for big returns.
Hossa is going to cost more than Jagr does. This team has young guys they need to worry about signing. Fitting Hossa in is going to be tough. You don't seem to realize that.

Quote:
Brunnstrom may be an unknown, but so is Straka's ability to stay on the ice for a full season. Not to mention he can't buy a goal. At least Brunnstrom's athletic ability is not in decline. He is a fast, skilled, and much bigger then Straka at 6 foot 200 pounds.
Again, you're talking about a guy who has never played a game in the NHL. Have you seen him play? I have a better idea of what Marty Straka will give me next season than I do Brunnstrom. I don't want Straka back. I didn't like extending his contract in the middle of the season last year. But if I don't bring him back, I better be damn sure I know who I am replacing him with.

Quote:
Pavel Brendl, Jiri Dopita, Jarkko Immonen, Jan Marek.

Quote:
Im sick of these last hurrah before i retire players coming into this organization.
I don't disagree with this. But what you are talking about doing is short-sighted.

Old
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
next year, i would take the unknown in Brunnstrom over straka, who is another year older.....straka cant stay healthy and cant finish the puck....he would be a good third liner with the way he is playing....at leats brunnstrom has more size and better hands and is much much younger.....i would take that any day of the week
Have you seen Brunnstrom play?

Old
02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Have you seen Brunnstrom play?
nope, just read a lot on hockey....

plus i know what straka looks like

Old
02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
nope, just read a lot on hockey....

plus i know what straka looks like
Again, why is it Brunnstrom or Straka?

Old
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
He's no guarantee and it's stupid to say he could outplay Straka. I'd like to see what he could do in the NHL first, too.

But, I want to see what he can do in Rangers blue.

-- Plus, you can sign him without losing players..

Old
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i was just carrying on the conversation, it was straka or brunnstrom, and from what i have read, and even though it is unknown, as i said, i dont like the way straka is playing.....he isnt a top six forward with the way he is playing and he cant stay healthy, i would try a highly scouted player who is 23(i think) who is bigger, rather than a straka who hasnt been able to stay healthy

Old
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
He's no guarantee and it's stupid to say he could outplay Straka. I'd like to see what he could do in the NHL first, too.

But, I want to see what he can do in Rangers blue.

-- Plus, you can sign him without losing players..
If you are losing cap space, then yes, your kind of are losing players.

Old
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
If you are losing cap space, then yes, your kind of are losing players.
Technically yes, but not when you dump cap space taken up by players we don't necessarily need or even want. (i.e Marek Malik, Paul Mara, Brendan Shanahan, Martin Straka, Jaromir Jagr) all big hefty contracts either for them or just because of their past play that won't be here next year...

Old
02-12-2008, 03:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If i hear one more person say that Shanahan is still a good player because "he is a leader on the team with 17 goals" my head is going to explode.

Shanahan's 17 goals is NOT an indication of how good he is playing.

It is an indication of how poorly the team is playing.

He has 8 PPG goals this year. That means he has 9 even strength goals this year. WOWEEE.

Cherepanov could match that number with one leg severed...and probably skate at Shanahan's top speed too.

Old
02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
buy D'man - with offensive flair. Kaberle please he would do nicely w/ rozi.
Be specific please? Who do you give up?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If i hear one more person say that Shanahan is still a good player because "he is a leader on the team with 17 goals" my head is going to explode.

Shanahan's 17 goals is NOT an indication of how good he is playing.

It is an indication of how poorly the team is playing.

He has 8 PPG goals this year. That means he has 9 even strength goals this year. WOWEEE.

Cherepanov could match that number with one leg severed...and probably skate at Shanahan's top speed too.
Hey, the team is struggling but he's still managing to produce better than most.

Again, tell me, exactly how do you know what Cherepanov is and what he could do next year with two good legs?

Old
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I don't know that Cherepanov is going to be one of the better goal scorers in the league for the next 10 years. I don't know what he's going to be. We said the same thing about Pavel Brendl. And the 40 year old guy who's breaking down is second on the team in goals scored right now. Cherepanov is 1) no lock to come over next year and 2) no lock to score 17 goals next season if he does come over

Hossa is going to cost more than Jagr does. This team has young guys they need to worry about signing. Fitting Hossa in is going to be tough. You don't seem to realize that.

Again, you're talking about a guy who has never played a game in the NHL. Have you seen him play? I have a better idea of what Marty Straka will give me next season than I do Brunnstrom. I don't want Straka back. I didn't like extending his contract in the middle of the season last year. But if I don't bring him back, I better be damn sure I know who I am replacing him with.

Pavel Brendl, Jiri Dopita, Jarkko Immonen, Jan Marek.

I don't disagree with this. But what you are talking about doing is short-sighted.
Short sighted?

ejecting the UFA vets for youth is short sighted?

I believe keeping them for a shot in the dark of making the post season and a likely early exit, and then losing them to free agency (when we could have gotten good players in return) is short sighted.

As far as Hossa goes, what i realize is that with Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Mara, Malik, Rozsival, among others coming off the books, there would be plenty of room to fit Hossa.

That is why you trade the expensive UFA vets for inexpensive young talent. THAT is what YOU are failing to see.

It is one thing to root for your team, it is another to be blind. The Rangers are a BAD team. They are NOT winning the Cup. That is why it is pointless to keep these guys.

If they win then great of course. But when they get eliminated (if they even make it) in the first round i will be here to say we should have gotten rid of these guys when we could.

You also realize if we fill roster spots NOW for next year via trade we will have an easier time then filling ALL the holes via free agency.

Again:

UFA
Jagr
Straka
Shanahan
Malik
Mara
Avery
Rozsival

X - Gomez - X
X - Drury - X
Dawes - Dubinsky - Prucha
Hollweg - Betts - Orr

X - X
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - X

Lundqvist / Valiquette

OR we could trade those guys and fill most of those spots now with the younger, better, cheaper players we get in return.

Old
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Also... someone on here actually said CALLAHAN is better then SETOGUCHI?! LOL

Callahan has 2 goals this year. 2. in 29 games. While having experence last year.

Setoguchi at 21 years old has 9 goals 12 points in 29 games. As a rookie.

There is no comparison.

Callahan is a marginal NHL player at this point. He SHOULD be on the 4th ine AT BEST. But because this team is terrible guys like Avery and Callahan get top 6 minutes...

Old
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Short sighted?

ejecting the UFA vets for youth is short sighted?

I believe keeping them for a shot in the dark of making the post season and a likely early exit, and then losing them to free agency (when we could have gotten good players in return) is short sighted.

As far as Hossa goes, what i realize is that with Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Mara, Malik, Rozsival, among others coming off the books, there would be plenty of room to fit Hossa.

That is why you trade the expensive UFA vets for inexpensive young talent. THAT is what YOU are failing to see.

It is one thing to root for your team, it is another to be blind. The Rangers are a BAD team. They are NOT winning the Cup. That is why it is pointless to keep these guys.

If they win then great of course. But when they get eliminated (if they even make it) in the first round i will be here to say we should have gotten rid of these guys when we could.

You also realize if we fill roster spots NOW for next year via trade we will have an easier time then filling ALL the holes via free agency.

Again:

UFA
Jagr
Straka
Shanahan
Malik
Mara
Avery
Rozsival

X - Gomez - X
X - Drury - X
Dawes - Dubinsky - Prucha
Hollweg - Betts - Orr

X - X
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - X

Lundqvist / Valiquette

OR we could trade those guys and fill most of those spots now with the younger, better, cheaper players we get in return.
I'm all for injecting youth into the lineup. And Renney has done that steadily in his tenure. You seem to want to inject, unproven kids who potentially aren't ready, while expecting them each to reach their top potential. That takes time. Sorry, but sometimes younger does not equal better.

Love to know how you plan to fill in 4 top four forward spots, a top four d-man, sign Lundqvist long-term and resign Dawes, Girardi, Tyutin and Valliquette. And sign Marian Hossa?!?!?There is a cap.

Old
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Fletch

Singn'...

that's a scary thought - this team would be without top line wingers next season.

Unfortunately, there isn't a player currently on this team who can handle the pressure that is presented to Jagr on a daily basis, as well as take his minutes with the attention he gets and still produce what he's produced. Everyone will say his numbers suck - which they do - but there's noone in the organization who can come close to those sucky numbers at this moment. Further, there isn't anyone who can fill-in next season and produce like that. So, either they find a Jagr from outside, or find a way to keep him. If it's Hossa, fine, that would help a lot, but in the end them are big shoes to fill and there's currently noone to fill them.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I'm all for injecting youth into the lineup. And Renney has done that steadily in his tenure. You seem to want to inject, unproven kids who potentially aren't ready, while expecting them each to reach their top potential. That takes time. Sorry, but sometimes younger does not equal better.

Love to know how you plan to fill in 4 top four forward spots, a top four, d-man, sign Lundqvist long-term and resign Dawes, Girardi, Tyutin and Valliquette. There is a cap.
How do you plan to that, that is the point. By your philosophy we should keep these guys. You unsterdand, and i dont know how many times ive said it, these guys are free agents at the end of the year. You are going to have to overpay for your current players who cant play together as a team?

You are going to overpay for Rozsival and Avery?

You TRADE them for players you will be filling their spots with. And THEN fill in with signings and previously owned youth.

And THAT would be cheaper then what you suggest.

All i know is, this team is terrible. Half of them should be gone, not kept or resigned so they can stink it up next year too.

Also, if you are not willing to give a first round pick with world class talent top 6 minutes, but willing to give marginal players at best like Avery or 40 year old players extensions...then you learned nothing from the 8 year playoff drought.