HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny/Jagr and the Rangers

Old
02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirtsFan86 View Post
If Jagr doesn't score he's useless? Are you kidding me, do we watch the same games? The guy can dominate in the offensive zone, and it seems he's playing more defensivily this year then previous ones with the Rangers. He also strips the puck away from opponents often and turns the play around. He probably doesn't score much because he's the most targeted player on the ice, other teams know it and even fans in other teams who have no connection to him know it as we can always hear it!
You're a year behind, bud.

Old
02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
1) Get rid of this whole cycling the pick in the offensive zone, it just ends up to a turnover always. We cant always depend on garbage goals... One Question, Why does Renney actually play this style? Does he feel that there isn't enough depth to score a decent goal?
Cycling the puck moves the defense which in turn creates openings. its hard to shoot the puck at the net when there are 4-5 people in the way.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
NY Ranger86

you people are crazy.

you want to give up your captain...the 2nd highest scoring leader on your team....but will keep Mr. Invisible Shannahan. Whats Shannahan done for the team that Jagr hasn't??? Jagr's done so much for NYR and you guys just wana dump him off cause he's had a tough season. disgusting.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
you people are crazy.

you want to give up your captain...the 2nd highest scoring leader on your team....but will keep Mr. Invisible Shannahan. Whats Shannahan done for the team that Jagr hasn't??? Jagr's done so much for NYR and you guys just wana dump him off cause he's had a tough season. disgusting.
I don't want to just dump him. if he's worth some valuable younger talent who wouldnt at least entertain the possibility?

I doubt Shanny would get back as much as Jags anyway.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:36 AM
avery16*

i agree disgusting, how quickly you can turn on a player.. i just dont understand if you can hate on jags, you have to hate on shanny.. i understand they are tops on the team in goals, but not the output either of them should have.. unlike shanahan, jagr is playing away from the puck, playing defense, shananhan just floats around the ice, and when he does "shot" the puck its often right into the goalie.. the only time shanahan has actually impressed me much was that two on one with avery a few weeks back..

and about renney being a bad coach, are you ****ing serious? i am sorry, that man is one of the reasons the rangers were so good out of the lockout, he is one hell of a coach, and obviously respected by all of his players, he cant make them score, im sure if tom could decided who showed up every night it would be the team that beat the flyers, not the team that lost to the kings.. is it really on tom renney? the only thing he lacks is the ability motivate (apparently), and honestly what coach can you say would come in and change that, bob hartley? honestly renney is a good coach, rangers gotta hang on to him..

and these are pro athletes playing in new york city, if you arent ready to play when the puck drops, you dont deserve to be here.. all business down the stretch here..

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't want to just dump him. if he's worth some valuable younger talent who wouldnt at least entertain the possibility?

I doubt Shanny would get back as much as Jags anyway.....
I dont know, Shanahan would better anyones powerplay more than Jagr would.

I think youd get a good return for either.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery16 View Post

he is one hell of a coach,

I wouldnt go that far...

Old
02-12-2008, 11:39 AM
BlueShirtsFan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
You're a year behind, bud.
I guess we are watching different games then. Because I still see him holding that puck in the zone longer then others on the team. He's not putting up points, but he is controling part of the game by doing this.

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
coolbean04

For those who say he's dominant holding the puck.

Yep, he's dominant skating around doing nothing with it. He's especially dominant holding the puck on the PP. That sure has been leading to a lot of goals.

How about you pay attention to what he does with the puck THIS YEAR and not how he was dominant in the PAST.

He IS useless when he's not getting points. He doesn't even backcheck like he used to as of late.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If no combination of these RW's and Center's has really been as productive as they need to be, it's tough to make a case that at least one of them should be brought back on principle.

All I want to know is, who do Drury and Gomez want to play with?
exactly, the team has to be formed around them and whoever they feel like they will play the best with, must be gotten

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
BlueShirtsFan86

Didn't we always yell the past few years for him "Not doing anything with the Puck" And "Playing a more European style"? He's always held the puck for long periods. But he also had someone in the past who was amazing at holding onto the puck and made beautiful passes, was the perfect playmaker for him, Nylander.
Now I'm just saying that Nylander was the one that let Jagr get open and he doesn't seem to have that option anymore. He's still the number 1 target and still has a desginated shadow on him for every team we go against. That limits his options.

I think we can find a cure for him within our own team. Avery draws attention and it seemed like things were getting somewhere a few times with him on his line.

I just think you can't deny Jagr's puck control in the offensive zone. Things are clicking for the points, but he still holds that puck better then anyone else. And I think thats very important for any game.

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
For those who say he's dominant holding the puck.

Yep, he's dominant skating around doing nothing with it. He's especially dominant holding the puck on the PP. That sure has been leading to a lot of goals.

How about you pay attention to what he does with the puck THIS YEAR and not how he was dominant in the PAST.

He IS useless when he's not getting points. He doesn't even backcheck like he used to as of late.

So you are saying that puck possession is useless in today's game?

When he had 14 points in 8 games in December, that was considered the past too?

Listen, i know hes been bad this year, i mean for christssake he only has one 2-goal game all SEASON. Maybe right now hes bad. But who else is scoring on this team? Hes tied for first on the team with 13 multi point games and hes second on the team in scoring.

IF hes worthless then every other forward on this team is too..

Old
02-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Fletch

Take Jagr off the team...

and watch everything fall apart. Someone else would have to get those minutes, and someone else will be the focus of other teams' top defensive pairings and either their top checkers, or top lines. We were spoiled in the last two seasons when Jagr was both a scoring machine, and he kept the puck away from top lines as he played this team's checking winger. He's still able to take a defenseman and a forward with him wherever he goes and can get around with the puck while doing that. Perhaps getting Hossa back to him instead of the struggling Straka will be something that gets him going. Earlier in the season he clearly couldn't play his game with Dubinsky , but picked it up with Gomez. Now let's hope there another winger can help him get it going.

And back on topic - I'm sure there's a decent market for Jagr's services out there, and I'm sure he'd fetch more than Shanny. Jagr's skills seemed to be on the decline, but I think he has some hockey left in him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
mstraka82

If Jagr is traded then New York will be known as the dumbest organization, alsi it will also be known is that if a players goes bad who is good than we will just dump you anywayz

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
If Jagr is traded then New York will be known as the dumbest organization, alsi it will also be known is that if a players goes bad who is good than we will just dump you anywayz
Dumbest organization?

Depends on what they get back for him, which would probably be a pretty good amount.

Old
02-12-2008, 01:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
maybe this year the rangers wont look smart but in the future when the rangers get a fufure star who they can mold into their system and othe very good players, the other team will look very silly

Old
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I like this quote from Malik on Jagr, I suppose it could also go for Malik as well.

Quote:
“If you want to beat a dog, you’re always going to find a stick,” said Rangers defenseman Marek Malik, who, like Jagr, is Czech. “They are going to blame him. He can’t score every night. That’s really hard. He’s in a tough position.
(from the New York Times article HBNYC posted)

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
maybe this year the rangers wont look smart but in the future when the rangers get a fufure star who they can mold into their system and othe very good players, the other team will look very silly
yea your rite, i think i am analyzing this way toooooo much, it is clemens fault

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
yea your rite, i think i am analyzing this way toooooo much, it is clemens fault
haha, its fine, i would like to trade shanny first though, he does nothing and actually has a larger cap hit....plus if the rangers can win the first round of the playoffs then they can resign jagr to another year for the same amount of money

Old
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Captain11

I think we'd be smart to see if detroit had any desire for him [Shanny], as he'd most likely be alright with going back there for a cup run. We may aswell trade him and straka - and see what's available for jagr (im not giving him up cheap. the guy carried us out of the dark age, but hes just not producing anymore) - cause they arent in the teams future plans. This is Gomez's team now, and his fast pace style is going to signify what this team will be about. Speed and defencive responsibility.

Which is sweet because watching the sabres with some friends who are fans is actually real fun. I love the way they play - even when they lose its exciting. Thats what i want everytime i turn on a ranger game. not spurts of turnover after turnover without any offense.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
DontStepanMe

Apparantly Jagr i going back to Russia after this season. This will definately lower his trade value a little I think.

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Apparantly Jagr i going back to Russia after this season. This will definately lower his trade value a little I think.

Hmm, i doubt it.
Prioritiy for JJ is still NHL, then Russia.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and watch everything fall apart. Someone else would have to get those minutes, and someone else will be the focus of other teams' top defensive pairings and either their top checkers, or top lines. We were spoiled in the last two seasons when Jagr was both a scoring machine, and he kept the puck away from top lines as he played this team's checking winger. He's still able to take a defenseman and a forward with him wherever he goes and can get around with the puck while doing that. Perhaps getting Hossa back to him instead of the struggling Straka will be something that gets him going. Earlier in the season he clearly couldn't play his game with Dubinsky , but picked it up with Gomez. Now let's hope there another winger can help him get it going.

And back on topic - I'm sure there's a decent market for Jagr's services out there, and I'm sure he'd fetch more than Shanny. Jagr's skills seemed to be on the decline, but I think he has some hockey left in him.
I think you're wrong. Take Jagr off this team and FINALLY you'll see everyone step up. You have a bunch of players on the team that know it's Jagr's team. They're all playing and hoping he steps up. You trade Jagr, you see the top 2 lines IMPROVE. You have leaders like Drury finally being able to step up and do his thing. Until then, he has to play second fiddle behind Jagr.

I really think Jagr is holding guys like Drury back.

You get rid Jagr and Straka and you bring in guys like Shanny & Graves in their primes. You get a guy that's a sniper, who isn't afraid to shoot and crash the net.

The problem is, where do you find one?

Old
02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
With all the teams in the hunt, you'd get a GREAT deal for Jagr. How is trading someone at the end of his career for great prospects or young NHL ready players dumb?

If you could get a guy like Bernier and don't do it and we don't win the SC. WE'RE THE LAUGHING STOCK for not making the trade.

Old
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post

Teams trading for him aren't worried about the following year. Actually, if Jagr leaves. He might have MORE value. Why? The team trading for him, might be on the hook for his ENTIRE salary. A team isn't going to want to pay him 10M.

A team would trade for him hoping he's the missing piece to a SC championship and then have him leave after the season.