HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hemp or Soy based Protien?

Old
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
BaconStrips

vCash: 500
Hemp or Soy based Protien?

Hey,

I know this is a rather technical question, but this is the only forum I have an active membership too. So, hopefully, someone[s] can provide some information.

For valentines day I want to get my girlfriend some protein powder, I know, I am super romantic like that! However, it is something she needs but can't justify buying, as we are both poor students. It will also give me piece of mind, because I worry about her health a bit. She is a vegetarian who is allergic to wheat and whey. She is currently training for a her second half marathon, and I feel that she would benifit from added protien.

My question: what is the better alternative to whey, soy or hemp? What flavors are good. I currently have vanilla iso-whey protein and it tastes like ****. It was a gift from my mother, who bought it on sale, so I can't complain. Obviously, I would like to avoid the ****** taste syndrome though.

Thanks!

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Blackhawk

hemp??? my God... they are making Pot in flavors now??? Vanilla, eh??? Now I guess you don't have to burn all that incense we did in the old days to mask the smell.... Brilliant!!!

Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
Hey,

I know this is a rather technical question, but this is the only forum I have an active membership too. So, hopefully, someone[s] can provide some information.

For valentines day I want to get my girlfriend some protein powder, I know, I am super romantic like that! However, it is something she needs but can't justify buying, as we are both poor students. It will also give me piece of mind, because I worry about her health a bit. She is a vegetarian who is allergic to wheat and whey. She is currently training for a her second half marathon, and I feel that she would benifit from added protien.

My question: what is the better alternative to whey, soy or hemp? What flavors are good. I currently have vanilla iso-whey protein and it tastes like ****. It was a gift from my mother, who bought it on sale, so I can't complain. Obviously, I would like to avoid the ****** taste syndrome though.

Thanks!
I recommend the hemp if you plan to smoke it. Other than that I would go with the soy.

Seriously I have never tried the hemp, but liked the soy (chocolate flavoured) but it was quite a while back and I can't remember the brand.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
DevsFan84

I'm sure someone who knows more than me can chime in and shed a little more light, but from what I remember (and this could be completely wrong) too much soy in someones diet could cause some hormonal problems, and possibly increased cancer risks. If your girlfriend is already eating soy as a protein source as a vegetarian, it might be too much. Again, this is stuff I remember hearing quite a while ago and could be wrong.

If it was me, and I was a vegetarian, I'd try something else but I know nothing about hemp protein. I'd try eating more nuts, seeds, whole grains, etc to get more protein, or see if I could find some trustworthy research on hemp protein with vegetarians.

As for the taste, well...I've found the chocolate shakes generally taste better- to me, at least. If its really bad, try adding banana to it- something about banana seems to kill that weird taste those shakes have. If you don't want to deal with the extra calories, consider using less water and choking down the shake...which will now be the consistency of pudding..as fast as possible.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

some twigs and grass from out back. Sorry i cant shed more light on the subject

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
BaconStrips

I couldn't find any more on the subject outside of a view articles with clear bias one way or another. My girlfriend told me that she was feeling super run down so she went and picked up a small size of the hemp based protein, the person in the store recommended it over the Soy.

We are going to see how that works and I am going to find a couple of running/vegan message boards that will probably shed some light, as the forums I read regarding health/fitness don't mention hemp and rarely mention soy. These are forums where diet is only for fuel and there are no other considerations made.

I have learned that Hemp protein is normally organic and that organic soy is hard to find. Further, the non organic variety may contain products that may not be safe/healthy.

I will keep this thread updated if I find anything new, since I assume there has to be someone else in a similar predicament.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
Hey,

Thanks!

Good question,

hemp is the healthier of the two in my opinion, though i can not vouch for the taste of the shakes... you cna purchase hemp seeds and have her add that to her diet as a snack... whey or soy have been known to affect the liver.... good luck

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've heard there is a possibility that if you are a male and you take a lot of soy your estrogen levels shoot up. And that is not a good thing.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:34 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I have tried alot of different protein mixes and drinks. i have found that any kind of chocolate mix is better than most of any others and soy is way better than the hemp.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
nni

there are other choices, rice protein, pea protein etc. a company makes a blend of pea/artichoke/brown rice protein.

soy or hemp doesnt really matter, neither are superior to the other. i might go for soy simply because it is more readily available.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan View Post
whey or soy have been known to affect the liver.... good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I've heard there is a possibility that if you are a male and you take a lot of soy your estrogen levels shoot up. And that is not a good thing.
neither are true.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote