HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

How far we've come: A look back at an early season thread

Old
02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
How far we've come: A look back at an early season thread

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=449699&page=2

These posts were made in late November, early December:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Please ... please ... PLEASE offer me a bet on Nashville finishing 2nd in the Central, and give me double-or-nothing on Nashville finishing ahead of St. Louis this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Nashville with its 2.88 Team GAA would be hard-pressed to keep up this pace and make the playoffs. Chicago has a much better offense and has kept its Team GAA at a manageable level. The Blues have a weak offense but balance it with strong defense and outstanding goaltending and PK. But we'll find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus the destroyer View Post
i dont see nashville playing that well i'll even put columbous ahead of nashville but it's just an opinion 2nd place is between st. louis and chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I think this is the key here. Last season the Predators gave up a ton of shots against, in fact most games they were outshot. Their goaltending bailed them out. This season, they probably have the weakest goaltending in the Central. Factor in all of the losses up front and that Chicago & St. Louis have improved their rosters, and it's going to be very difficult for them to stay #2 behind the Wings. I just don't see how it could happen.

As a Wings fan, the Central has definitely become more than just the Wings. Our divisional record alone is proof of that. However, I think it's still nothing more than a race for #2. While they are improved, I still don't think any of the other teams will threaten the Wings for the division title. Chicago looks like they might in a couple of seasons though.
And in response to a poster saying the Preds will finish second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossua34 View Post
Awesome. While you're at it, can you please give me the winning numbers for this week's lottery jackpot?

Christ on a stick...
Now, we are hardly comfortable in 2nd in the division, but it's amazing just how much love we didn't get early in the season. With the media constantly attacking the Preds early season (and with the Preds ranked #22 in ESPNs power rankings as of last week, still being disrespected) and the early season slide, fans started piling on.

Since we bottomed out on the 23rd of October, we are 26-15-5 with 57 points. Columbus has the second best record at 21-20-7 with 49 points. St. Louis is third at 19-19-7 for 45 points, and Chicago is last at 18-20-5 with 41 points.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Jarnberg

Not saying you alluded otherwise, but this is the time of year we usually fall apart, so they could still all be right. Hopefully this team is different from virtually every other team in our existence

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:08 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Not saying you alluded otherwise, but this is the time of year we usually fall apart, so they could still all be right. Hopefully this team is different from virtually every other team in our existence
To be fair, the past few years, the team hasn't so much fallen apart in the second half as Vokoun has. Overall, this team has FELT different from the start of the season. I think we're one more scorer(someone to PLEASE get Fiddler\Peverley\Nichol off the line with Legwand and Erat) away from being the best overall TEAM we've ever been, and a team that could actually do some damage in the playoffs if the defense stays tight and goaltending stays strong.

Along those lines...is anyone else ready to eat some crow on DeVries? He's been a pleasant surprise the past couple of months, and has actually been our steadiest guy in our own end. He's really showing a strong veteran prescense back there, and I admit I was wrong in the first month or two of the season when I wanted him scratched every game.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Our last three teams haven't really fallen apart. Over the past three years, they've hovered right at .500 in the final two months of the regular season. Granted, that's not as impressive as the first four months of the season, but holding serve is often enough to get into the playoffs.

And this year has followed a different path than our last two. In '05/'06, we were out of the gate at 16 games above .500 at Christmas. We finished the rest of the season at .500. In '06/'07, we were 16 games above at New Years and coasted slightly above .500 to the finish.

This team looks more like the '03/'04 team in results, etc. That team was only two games above .500 at New Years (this year's team was .500). And that team finished strong in the final two months finishing 9 games above .500 (this year's team is 7 games above .500 since January).

While none of this guarantees we will avoid a downfall, I don't think it's fair to hold this team to the standard of all past Predators teams as there's so little about these teams that resemble those teams both in results and style.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
JussiM

I got to admit, reading those now made me feel a bit warm and fuzzy inside...

Now it'd be nice to get to hear what some of those people had to say.

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiM View Post
I got to admit, reading those now made me feel a bit warm and fuzzy inside...

Now it'd be nice to get to hear what some of those people had to say.
My initial thought was to bring it to the main board, but I thought that would be a little self-aggrandizing, even for my normal standards. Would love to hear the thoughts of those who couldn't fathom us finishing second. I'm not saying we will, but that seemingly farfetched possibility is every bit as a likely to occur as any other scenario.

Old
02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Yes, what's been the reason for the big turnaround? It's really been building all Season it seems, since the team hit the bottom of the Conference back in November.

In truth, I was very surprised by the horrible start. I had figured that Nashville would finish 7th or 8th this Season, but the way their playing now it might possibly be even a little higher. But I suppose you shouldn't get ahead of yourselves, there's plenty of time still left in the Season and it'll only get tougher down the stretch.

So, back to the question. Is the turnaround due to Trotz working his magic with the team?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Yes, what's been the reason for the big turnaround? It's really been building all Season it seems, since the team hit the bottom of the Conference back in November.

In truth, I was very surprised by the horrible start. I had figured that Nashville would finish 7th or 8th this Season, but the way their playing now it might possibly be even a little higher. But I suppose you shouldn't get ahead of yourselves, there's plenty of time still left in the Season and it'll only get tougher down the stretch.

So, back to the question. Is the turnaround due to Trotz working his magic with the team?
I think it has to do with the fact that Radulov is finally finishing his chances ... and the first line is really clicking right now

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that Radulov is finally finishing his chances ... and the first line is really clicking right now
Haha... I don't know if I should believe someone who choose to call himself, Fire Trotz. But I'll take you on your word.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Trotz deserves mention IMO. We're a bottom of the cap team making due with what we have to win.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
TheKingPin

well done Preds well done. Mason playing a lot better seems to be the key change. After that JP and his line started putting up the points.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Trotz's 0-3 playoff series record also deserves mention. (4-12 record in those 3 series losses)

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Trotz's 0-3 playoff series record also deserves mention. (4-12 record in those 3 series losses)
Not to mention he has yet to coach a road playoff victory, and he has lost both series the Predators had home ice and were the favorites.

2 of his wins came pre-lockout against the Wings, which is also signficant. He is 2-8 in his last 10 playoff games, both home wins, 4 road losses, and 2 home losses.

02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Not to mention he has yet to coach a road playoff victory, and he has lost both series the Predators had home ice and were the favorites.

2 of his wins came pre-lockout against the Wings, which is also signficant. He is 2-8 in his last 10 playoff games, both home wins, 4 road losses, and 2 home losses.
phe-****in'-nominal

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
ahh, notice I was only referring to this season

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Let's get through the rest of the regular season before we worry about the playoffs.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
ahh, notice I was only referring to this season
I know...and I'm not implying that a coaching change is right at this point (I don't think it is). But unless we make a run in the playoffs this year, I'd rather see someone else for the future.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Peter Angelo

Wow what a great season this has been, i admit i was one with reservations over the boys chances to be competing at this stage for a playoff spot (not on the same level as some of these clowns in this earlier thread though). Back from basic training and ready to watch these preds kick up a storm on the run home!

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 06:31 PM
SmokeyClause

Just thought I would res this thing to enjoy one last time.

Old
04-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Peter Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Just thought I would res this thing to enjoy one last time.
yep am glad to admit I was wrong about this season's preds...what a ride!

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Was so glad when we got Ellis, at the time mostly just because I was able to watch him play when he played for the Idaho Steelheads, didn't think he would play as well this season as he did.

Old pic I took from 2004 of Ellis, playoff game in the ECHL.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I love IB's quote the best. He was so mater of fact about it......

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote