HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help Needed Suiting Up in Goalie Equipment

Old
02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
The Goaltending Guru

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Help Needed Suiting Up in Goalie Equipment

I was wondering if I could get some goalie help. I had my first two games of my roller hockey league last night but I had a hell of a time last night. First of all, I asked one of the guys in the locker room to help me get my skates on, but he was so damn concerned with getting out on the "ice" for warm-ups that he didn't take the time to help me fasten my skates, so I played the entire night with my skates untied and unfastened. Also, I'm still using a chest protector from the rink that is a size Large (two sizes too big for me...it's so big that I can't even put my jersey on by myself!!!) and a pair of goalie pants from the rink that are a size Large (also two sizes too big for me).

This is slightly embarrasing, but if you could, could you provide me with a step-by-step "How to" guide on how to suit up for playing goalie, so that I don't have to show up an hour before my game each week just to get suited up?

I have no clue what I should be putting on first and what should be going on last and whatnot. Also, how much of an effect is wearing pants and a chest protector that are two sizes too large, having on my ability to get suited up quickly? And finally, even once I get the hang of it completely, what is the absolute longest it should take me to get suited up? Please help with the most efficient and quickest order to put my pads on as well as the questions. Thank you!

**Note: My skates I wear have laces that tie as well as one of those strips of plastic with the ridges that you fasten to tighten and lock into place (if that makes sense)

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

when i do it for ice i do this

jock/underarmour, socks connected to the jock. pants, skates, leg pads, chestprotector, jersey, helmet, gloves

i am a very slow dresser, every lockerroom has one, i get there about an hour or so before a game. it takes me atleast 20 minutes and that would be fast for me. i usually take about 25 to 30 minutes. i have alot of straps though on my leg pads, they are what takes teh longest. the pants and chestprotector being big shouldnt slow you down when you are getting dressed. once you get your pads on it should only take about a minute. just slip you chestprotector, jersey, helmet and gloves in taht order on and you are good to go.....oh and dont forget your stick

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 02-12-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
poppap527

im the same way, i need about 20 at the fastest to get all my gear on.
and am have the same process as gunnar.

jock/athletic shorts, socks, i wear roller pants over all that, i like the feel with em, skates, then my hockey pants, leg pads, chest protector, which is actually a little small on me lol so were opposite there. on rare occasions, i catch a puck right above hockey pants and just under teh chest guard, but i like the bruises. then its just jersey, helmet, glove, blocker and yes the stick.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I usually give myself a good half hour to get dressed. Mostly because I BS with teammates while getting dress and it slows me down.

The pads will take the longest by far. Everything from waist up should take less than a min per piece. I usually get suited up half way, then listen for the zamboni to be done and the gear up the rest of the way.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 02:44 AM
supaman

Thats pretty much the order it goes. Give yourself 20 - 30 min before a game to get ready. You don't really wanna rush it too much. Leaves you kinda anxious when you hit the ice. Though the fastest i've ever done it was 10 minutes. Thats because I came late though and had the game starting 12 or so minutes after I got there.

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Goalie_Gal

The problem with a chest protector being too large isn't so much that it takes you longer to get dressed, but it's not protecting you right if it doesn't fit. See if you can find a store that sells used equipment if price is an issue. I wouldn't just order one over the internet without trying a few on first, to get a feel for what size you should wear.

Oh and good luck and have fun!!!

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 08:21 AM
The Goaltending Guru

Ok, thanks for all your advice everyone. See, I thought it was really bad if it took me 20-30 minutes just to get ready. But the bad thing is that it took me about 30 minutes to get ready the other day and my skates still weren't even fastened at all! And the tricky thing with my leg pads is that I have to put my leg in them first before I can even attempt to put my skates on. I'll have to check that for sure, but when I put them on the other night, I thought there was one elastic strap on the leg pads that doesn't detach or come apart, so I have to slip my leg into it, but I could be wrong.

Old
02-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TretiakFan20 View Post
Ok, thanks for all your advice everyone. See, I thought it was really bad if it took me 20-30 minutes just to get ready. But the bad thing is that it took me about 30 minutes to get ready the other day and my skates still weren't even fastened at all! And the tricky thing with my leg pads is that I have to put my leg in them first before I can even attempt to put my skates on. I'll have to check that for sure, but when I put them on the other night, I thought there was one elastic strap on the leg pads that doesn't detach or come apart, so I have to slip my leg into it, but I could be wrong.
Okay, that is just confusing the hell outta me ... Are you saying there are no straps or are your pads like oversized socks? I think you just blew my mind ... Congratulations.

Did a very quick google search and came up with a site ... just click on the actual goalie equipment the dude is wearing and it'll pop up a page for the appropriate equipment. Hope it helps at least a little ... I think I could be more helpful if you posted photos of your gear and/or you suited up.

http://www.timberwoof.com/hockey/goalie/index.html

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Okay, that is just confusing the hell outta me ... Are you saying there are no straps or are your pads like oversized socks? I think you just blew my mind ... Congratulations.

Did a very quick google search and came up with a site ... just click on the actual goalie equipment the dude is wearing and it'll pop up a page for the appropriate equipment. Hope it helps at least a little ... I think I could be more helpful if you posted photos of your gear and/or you suited up.

http://www.timberwoof.com/hockey/goalie/index.html
What I got out of this was that some of the straps on his leg pads don't unbuckle/unsnap for some reason so he has to slide them on with straps attached since he can't slide them over his skates in that fashion.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
The Goaltending Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
What I got out of this was that some of the straps on his leg pads don't unbuckle/unsnap for some reason so he has to slide them on with straps attached since he can't slide them over his skates in that fashion.
Exactly!

Old
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TretiakFan20 View Post
Exactly!
Wow, geez what kind of pads are you wearing? I can't imagine what's wrong with your pads. The buckles are either leather straps, or the snap-in type; shouldn't be TOO difficult to open them up. Unless I'm missing some kind of buckle system we've never heard of...

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
The Goaltending Guru

UPDATE: I just got back from drop-in hockey. All this time, I was mental...lol The strap that I was referring to was an elastic strap that has a velcro attachment. I was able to tie and fasten my skates and get all my equipment and pads on myself in about 15 minutes. Problem solved.

Old
02-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Gal View Post
The problem with a chest protector being too large isn't so much that it takes you longer to get dressed, but it's not protecting you right if it doesn't fit. See if you can find a store that sells used equipment if price is an issue. I wouldn't just order one over the internet without trying a few on first, to get a feel for what size you should wear.

Oh and good luck and have fun!!!
i wouldnt say that the problem is its not protecting him right as much as it would it woulsd make it more difficult to move in it. i wear a smaller chestprotector because i can move alot quicker.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote