vCash: 500
Montreal fans burning American flags

This is a bit much.

http://goddamnelectric.com/gohabs/

Old
04-20-2004, 01:37 AM
revolverjgw

Who cares. Somewhere, some Boston fan has cheated on his wife. Or perhaps failed to rewind a tape before returning it to Blockbuster. That doesn't mean all Bruins fans are adulterous non-rewinder-guys. You know the type.

Of course, you probably weren't inferring that us Habs fans are all pyromaniacs. But someone somewhere would love to paint us with that brush.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:37 AM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles
This is a bit much.
Agreed....

Old
04-20-2004, 01:40 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
This is a bit much.
thats ALOTE too much

Old
04-20-2004, 01:51 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Plain stupid.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:51 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I don't know if there's a point you're trying to make with this thread (nor will I assume so) but...

1- mob mentality, the morons rule when the numbers grow out of control. Somehow the collective IQ always diminishes to the lowest of its parts. Sad but a proven reality nonetheless.

2- There's idiots everywhere, I'm a Montrealer and feel embarassed for those guys who felt they had to do such a thing for whatever reason I won't even bother to rationalize. However, I'll still go to sleep knowing the exact same thing I did before doing so, which is one does not speak for all and to tar everybody with the same brush (whether it be Habs fans or Montrealers to your liking) would be the next silliest thing to what those overwhelmed drunks did.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Orange

One half of the people on this video is drunk, the other half is piss drunk. Everybody everywhere does stupid stuff ...

Old
04-20-2004, 01:54 AM
ChrisF

Quote:
just when you thought hab fans couldnt get any classless... they go and act like iranian islamic fundamentalists... now hab fans, can you explain this away as fellow fans burning a mere symbol of the hockey team their team just defeated, or will you finally admit that there is a minority (that is by no means negligable) of fans who used this series to vent their bigoted, xenophobic prejudices against the united states and its citizens? i can understand disagreeing with bush, but i will not condescend and believe that these people don't realize that the flag represents all of america and americans, and not just one man and his administration. your mps raised holy hell when conan obrien poked fun at your province's arrogant foibles, and i will not lighten up over this much more repulsive offense in turn. needless to say i am angry with the embarrassing nature a good number of montrealers have conducted themselves over the past weeks, but i am sorry to say that i am not surprised.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:57 AM
Bruin_Ron

Those aren't even hockey fans. They don't know jack all about politics either. They're opportunistic punks. Ungrateful, bored, ignorant people looking for a fix. This happens every year, when all of a sudden all of downtown slime become fans of the Grand Prix, when all of a sudden everyone's a fan of whatever country wins the World Cup, and so on

I shouldn't go on, so I won't

Old
04-20-2004, 01:58 AM
drbill28

Send a message via AIM to drbill28
What's scary for me is that I believe in the videos you can see a Burger King on the corner, which if it's the same one I got a snack at on my way find my car after game 4 2002. Good thing I didn't head up to Canada tonight. I'd feel most unwelcome.

But, of course there are idiots everywhere, and I've had the beer at the Bell Centre and the smell surely indicates it's not watered down. Not a big deal, you guys are great.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Foll577
your province's arrogant foibles
This part of your post is quite ironic considering your initial accusations of bigotery and prejudices. I suggest you read what I wrote above, maybe you'll find the answers you're looking for.

Anyway I cannot imagine this thread remaining opened for much longer.

Last edited by Munchausen: 04-20-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old
04-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill28
What's scary for me is that I believe in the videos you can see a Burger King on the corner, which if it's the same one I got a snack at on my way find my car after game 4 2002. Good thing I didn't head up to Canada tonight. I'd feel most unwelcome.

But, of course there are idiots everywhere, and I've had the beer at the Bell Centre and the smell surely indicates it's not watered down. Not a big deal, you guys are great.
That Burger King is on the corner of Crescent and St-Catherine, one of the busiest corners downtown. Believe, this isn't such an uncommon event in Montreal. Unfortunately, we witness this type of event at least twince a year I'd say. People will travel very far to participate in the riots. When they arrive, they don't even need to know what's going all. All they see are smashed windows to the liquor store and opportunities to vandalize anything else in sight. It's truly pathetic. I'm just glad I'm not at work in the ER tonight

Old
04-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill28

This was one of the most exciting series I have ever watched. So many ups and downs...so many subplots. It has been an experience I will savour. However, as a Hab I am disgusted at that behavior and I, and the majority of true blue hab fans, particularly the ones on this board, would never celebrate in this manner. We have too much respect for the organization and for ourselves. You are right...there are idiots everywhere. Sorry.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:14 AM
drbill28

Send a message via AIM to drbill28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
That Burger King is on the corner of Crescent and St-Catherine, one of the busiest corners downtown. Believe, this isn't such an uncommon event in Montreal. Unfortunately, we witness this type of event at least twince a year I'd say. People will travel very far to participate in the riots. When they arrive, they don't even need to know what's going all. All they see are smashed windows to the liquor store and opportunities to vandalize anything else in sight. It's truly pathetic. I'm just glad I'm not at work in the ER tonight
Yeah, that's the place all right. It's not the vandalizm that gets me. Hell, knowing my friend and I we would've pretended we were part of the group. After all, everyone always assumes we're from Ottawa when we're in Montreal, so I guess it would work. But, the whole thing is that I was hurrying to get out of Dodge that time, and, I had to walk thorough there to get to my car. I hope random idiots wouldn't hassle an American too much. Because I might have to roll my massive body through there and break up the crowd.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Disco Volante

Well, Bruins fans, Bostonians, Americans, I feel I have to say I'm sorry. I repeat at least twice a week that Habs fans are mostly morons and that I should stick to the Thrashers, but hey, being from Quebec, living in Montreal, I have a soft spot for this team. The fans are dumb tho.

I'm really not a fan of american politics, nor american popular culture (in the lounge, they know), but I'm a peaceful guy and I'm ashamed and regretful of these acts. Sorry for the "**** USA" and the flag thing that these videos depict.

It's been a great series, really great, and you've been classy rivals. I hope next year you kick our ass (I won't repeat that next year).

Old
04-20-2004, 02:52 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Well, Bruins fans, Bostonians, Americans, I feel I have to say I'm sorry.
Please do not appologize for the stupids. I won't feel sorry for something I can't control, and won't feel shameful either when someone who felt insulted by the stupids' acts tar me with the same brush and cannot use enough of his brain to realize that the "guilty by association" mentality basically brings down the accusator to the same level as the accused.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Please do not appologize for the stupids. I won't feel sorry for something I can't control, and won't feel shameful either when someone who felt insulted by the stupids' acts tar me with the same brush and cannot use enough of his brain to realize that the "guilty by association" mentality basically brings down the accusator to the same level as the accused.
Oh my... don't act like it wasn't predictable. I'm not saying everyone is to be put in that category, but face it Munchausen, Habs fans are the worst in the league. It really is a problem, even here, of all the posters I despise, 90% are Habs fans.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:14 AM
sandman08

whereas i do condone the actions of the drunken morons who did this.. i do have a question for the bruins fans..
(a question i pretty well can answer myself of course but there is a point to it)
were the fans at the fleet chanting "USA" in response to the stupid fans who booed the american anthem? if so, wouldnt (or better yet, couldnt) that cause the whole thing to get "worst" in a way? i mean.. if you think about it objectively, they do something stupid, so "you" do something not as "stupid" but not really relevant to the game (by that i mean the countries involved have no bearing on the game in this case since its between the teams and not the respective countries involved) which leads to the attempted "one-upmanship" by drunken morons who decide the ONLY way to "one-up" the bruins fans chanting "U-S-A" to burn the flag..

(this btw is not an attempt to excuse anyone for this or any incident but merely an attempt at rationalizing the stupidity to levels to something other than just "being drunk")

but since this thread will most likely be locked,
if someone could respond via pm that would be great
im merely curious and not trying to cause a flame war. i am once again against any actions of this sort.
i once booed the star spangled banner during some game as a kid (4-6 years old or something along those lines) at my house and my dad severely scolded me which confused me. i asked him what was so wrong with what i had done and he basically explained to me the idea of respect.. something i never will forget.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:40 AM
SuperUnknown

In the recent years, some fans from a US town burned a canadian flag. So what honestly?

Old
04-20-2004, 05:48 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Why can't we just stick to the game of hockey?This isn't CNN!!!

Old
04-20-2004, 06:00 AM
HockeyGoddess

Thread closed. Anyone with half a brain can figure out why.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Closed Thread