HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Tips Are For Real!

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2004, 12:01 AM
MikeS

vCash: 500
Tips Are For Real!

TIPS LEAD 1 game to 0 as I write this!

I don't want to hear how the Rockets let this one get away, or how they weren't hungry or what Kelowna did wrong...what about what we did right?

The Tips have been underdogs all year long. The polls always give the Tips short shrift, and excuses are made for teams that Everett beats, or rationalization* of how the Tips have an advantage, or use a trapping style defense (defence in Canada)... THEY DON'T TRAP! They aggressively forecheck, they have speedy forwards who backcheck and their defenseman (defenceman in Canada) often get involved in the offense (offence in Canada!); they pinch, they carry the puck. But they think of their own end of the ice first.

Please don't grumble about defense(defence)-first hockey. Strategy is an integral part of the game, and is cyclical and even faddish, as anyone who has seen decades of hockey will know. EVEN IF THEY DID TRAP (and they don't), they would have every right to, and could still be considered a great team, not just a great "expansion" team.

"WINS ARE THE MEASURE OF A REALLY GOOD TEAM." ~Kelly Hrudy
(he didn't really say that, but it sounds like something he'd say )

(*rationalisation in Canada?)

Last edited by MikeS: 04-17-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old
04-17-2004, 01:17 AM
BCCHL inactive

I know I don't mod this board anymore, but why could this not have stayed in the thread dedicated to the West Final series?

Old
04-17-2004, 08:44 AM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I know I don't mod this board anymore, but why could this not have stayed in the thread dedicated to the West Final series?
I suppose it could have, but I think it a different topic. The topic here is not so much the results of the Western Conference Final, but that the Tips style has been mis-charactarized (ised), and that they haven't been taken seriously and appreciated as a legitimate team.

I have no objection, though, if moving it to another thread if you think it works better there. Just explaining why I created it as a new one.

(Why don't you mod this board anymore?)

Old
04-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Buannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS

I don't want to hear how the Rockets let this one get away, or how they weren't hungry or what Kelowna did wrong...what about what we did right?

The Tips have been underdogs all year long. The polls always give the Tips short shrift, and excuses are made for teams that Everett beats, or rationalization* of how the Tips have an advantage, or use a trapping style defense (defence in Canada)... THEY DON'T TRAP! They aggressively forecheck, they have speedy forwards who backcheck and their defenseman (defenceman in Canada) often get involved in the offense (offence in Canada!); they pinch, they carry the puck. But they think of their own end of the ice first.

Please don't grumble about defense(defence)-first hockey. Strategy is an integral part of the game, and is cyclical and even faddish, as anyone who has seen decades of hockey will know. EVEN IF THEY DID TRAP (and they don't), they would have every right to, and could still be considered a great team, not just a great "expansion" team.

"WINS ARE THE MEASURE OF A REALLY GOOD TEAM." ~Kelly Hrudy
(he didn't really say that, but it sounds like something he'd say )

(*rationalisation in Canada?)
congrats on the win!!

as for the style of the 'tips

they certainly did start out with a trapping style...nothing wrong with that....it won games and gave the players confidence....do they still trap? yes, they do...is that bad...no, it's not
have they now branched out and started using other strategy? yes, I do believe they have...their coach (if I weren't so lazy I'd look up how to spell constanteine correctly...lol) is a damn good coach...he realizes that trapping will only go so far...it did and does what it is intended to do....win games and build confidence

as I've said before...I like defensive hockey....always have...because I like to watch the game...the plays....the skating...scoring is minor to me...yes, scoring is what wins games...I realize that...and a beautiful breakaway is a sweet thing to see...but I still like to watch the defense stop the shots

anyway...I don't find everett's playing style boring...never really did...but it has certainly evolved beyond the trapping style

win tonight!!!

Old
04-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Greg7

I saw a lot of trapping out of Everett once they had the lead in the Vancouver series. When they did get the lead, they would play a passive forecheck with one guy deep cutting off the passing lanes with 4 in the neutral zone, ie a trap. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I didn't see a lot of aggresive forechecking after the Tips got a lead.

But anyways, great win and good luck!

Old
04-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Buannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg7
I saw a lot of trapping out of Everett once they had the lead in the Vancouver series. When they did get the lead, they would play a passive forecheck with one guy deep cutting off the passing lanes with 4 in the neutral zone, ie a trap. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I didn't see a lot of aggresive forechecking after the Tips got a lead.

But anyways, great win and good luck!
pretty much my point...they are starting to play other ways to win games or develop or whatever...but they still fall back to the trap to keep the win or to gain composure..it's what they know and what got them where they are

but I have seen them branching out beyond the trap the last half of the season...which is good to see

Old
04-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Rooselk

Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
Quote:

....The Tips have been underdogs all year long.
That's the point. The Tips are a remarkable story. This is something that doesn't happen very often in sports. And finally some are starting to recognize what is happening with the Tips that make this team so special. For instance, yesterday the Seattle Times wrote an editorial about the Tips on there opinion page. This coming from a paper that barely covers the Thunderbirds let alone other hockey. Here's what they had to say:

Don't despair; Go, Silvertips

Is your heart already sinking at the Seattle Mariners' prospects for postseason play?

Don't despair. Until the Mariners find their mojo, distract yourself with a classic sports story of a group of cast-off athletes beating all odds for a winning first year and exacting delicious revenge over the teams that let them go.

Today, the Everett Silvertips, the newest Western Hockey League franchise, will take on the defending league champions, the Kelowna Rockets, in the Western Conference finals. Composed of players the league's existing teams deemed expendable, the Silvertips were ranked last at the start of the season but have broken several of the league's expansion-team records first to finish above .500, to win a division title and to win a playoff series. The team of 16- to 20-year-olds also has been filling up the brand new Everett Events Center, selling out the 8,250-seat arena seven times.

Under the direction of former National Hockey League Coach Kevin Constantine, the Silvertips play a brand of hockey that has left many of the league's 19 more experienced teams behind.

The best-of-seven series starts today and Saturday in Kelowna, returning to Everett for games Tuesday and Thursday.

The defending champs will have their hands full with the upstart Silvertips, who would like to add the Western Conference final win to their growing list of expansion team firsts. It should be good hockey.

Old
04-17-2004, 03:54 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Ivan Baranka

Hi Tips Fans,

As a NY Ranger fan, I was wondering if you could give me a report on Ivan Baranka?

With the Rangers rebuilding, prospects are becoming a big topic of conversation and a few of us have really liked what we have heard about Baranka.

I know he won the rookie award, but what I am looking for is:

1. Does he play against the other teams best lines?
2. How is his transition game?
3. He is considered more of an offensive d-man, defensive d-man or a good two way d-man?
4. Please tell me he can clear the crease with the best of them? OK I will settle for him clearing the crease sometimes as this is a big weakness with the parent Rangers.

Being on the east coast means not being able to catch any Tips games unless I stay up way past my bedtime to listen on-line. Yes it does stink getting old but we do need our rest.

Any info that you can provide us unlucky folks would be greatly appreciated.

PS Must be nice having a junior team in your backyard, wish we could find a way to get one. Please????

Old
04-17-2004, 04:10 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
(Why don't you mod this board anymore?)
Don't ask. I might get banned for what I would have to say about that.

Old
04-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Avery4Byng*

Well series is at 1-1. Two decent games.

Funny when the tips were ahead in game 1, all they did was ice the puck. Oh about 400 icings were called that game.

Old
04-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
Well series is at 1-1. Two decent games.

Funny when the tips were ahead in game 1, all they did was ice the puck. Oh about 400 icings were called that game.
Sure the Tips did ice the puck when ever they got in a little trouble, but the Tips aren't as boring as other people have been saying. Both games were very good, fast skating with Kelowna out hitting the Tips. Out hitting was the difference in game two, and the Tips holding the fort was the difference in game one.

Should be two good games in Everett, but I wouldn't say the Tips are a boring team.

Old
04-20-2004, 08:43 AM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Hi Tips Fans,

As a NY Ranger fan, I was wondering if you could give me a report on Ivan Baranka?

With the Rangers rebuilding, prospects are becoming a big topic of conversation and a few of us have really liked what we have heard about Baranka.

3. He is considered more of an offensive d-man, defensive d-man or a good two way d-man?
4. Please tell me he can clear the crease with the best of them? OK I will settle for him clearing the crease sometimes as this is a big weakness with the parent Rangers.

Being on the east coast means not being able to catch any Tips games unless I stay up way past my bedtime to listen on-line. Yes it does stink getting old but we do need our rest.

PS Must be nice having a junior team in your backyard, wish we could find a way to get one. Please????
I would consider our top defensive pairing Mitch Love & Brian Nathe, but Baranka & Heshka log almost as much ice time. Baranka has a wicked slap shot from the point and has scored or assisted on many PPG with a blast. We missed him on the power play while he was gone for the World Junior Championships.

Coach Constantine's got the team focused first on defense, but the defense often carry the puck and aren't afraid to pinch and join play in the offensive zone. Baranka is one of the better puck carrying defenseman we have. Love, surprisingly enough, also is an offensive threat, after being strictly a tough guy through most of his WHL carreer.

As far as clearing people from the crease, he is big and strong and more than capable, but needs (in my opinion) to use that part of his game more. The WHL and the NHL are more physical than probably most of the hockey he has ever played. The WHL has a way of developing d-men, and I could see the Rangers leaving him here another year (lucky us!)

Old
04-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Davef

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Hi Tips Fans,

Funny you should ask. The Seattle Times just did and artical on him. here is a link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...96_tips20.html

Have not seen enough to realy comment other than look at the coach that is what he is learning. You remember the Devils don't you lol. Sorry for the dig could not resist.

Closed Thread