HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Habs be intrested in Steve Bernier?

Old
02-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
He's not a bad skater. He's significantly better than Latendresse.

I disagree, I saw him play 4 years in junior and now NHL, his skating is below average for NHL...about on par with Lats.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I don't think the Sharks would give him up. He's got the potential to be a 30-35 goal scorer.
Me neither...there's nothing we can give that addresses their current needs enough to entice them to move Bernier.

Streit is nice, but # 1 he's a UFA and # 2 i'm not sure how much long-term potential he has.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He's got a better stride than Latendresse, but Bernier's endurance is even worse than Latendresse.

Though Latendresse has really improved on his fitness level this year, doesn't seem as tired after his shifs nowadays.

if Gainey could somehow manage to get Bernier and Latendresse on the same team, it would bode VERY WELL for the future.
He wouldn't be playing more than 12-13 minutes under carbo.

Both fatties could train together in the summer.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I disagree, I saw him play 4 years in junior and now NHL, his skating is below average for NHL...about on par with Lats.
Lats skating is below average for the Q.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
He wouldn't be playing more than 12-13 minutes under carbo.

Both fatties could train together in the summer.
lol!...for real

Seriously though...both Latendresse and Bernier could be very good in about 2 or 3 years.

Though Bernier plays more of a power game...Latendresse will probably play alot like Eric Daze in his hey day

Old
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Would the Habs give up Latendresse for two rentals?

I would hope not, and knowing Gainey, I know he wouldn't. That makes me think Doug Wilson wouldn't either.
Why???? Gainey is not Wilson.

Wilson accepted a rental last year... so your argument is worth zilch here.

SJ are far more a contender and contenders DO make rentals. The Habs have more youth than the Sharks and are on a youth program so it makes no sense for them to take up rentals, whereas the Sharks are in a much different situation, having access to the playoffs year after year and not being able to reach the SCF. They are much more liable to take up rentals. Still forgetting about Rivet?

And trade Latendresse for two rentals? It all depends, on the situation, which is different from SJ.... SJ is not MTL. Latendresse is big, we don't have much of those... Bernier is big, though SJ HAS MUCH of those. The two situations are totally different.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Me neither...there's nothing we can give that addresses their current needs enough to entice them to move Bernier.

Streit is nice, but # 1 he's a UFA and # 2 i'm not sure how much long-term potential he has.
Imo Streit and Ryder would get them to give up Bernier. I think that because they could use a scoring winger (all they really have are Michalek and Cheechoo...). Streit is a good PP quarterback, good for the transition game as well and he's at least as good as Corvo imo.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
lol!...for real

Seriously though...both Latendresse and Bernier could be very good in about 2 or 3 years.

Though Bernier plays more of a power game...Latendresse will probably play alot like Eric Daze in his hey day
Daze had pretty light feet though.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Why???? Gainey is not Wilson.

Wilson accepted a rental last year... so your argument is worth zilch here.
SJ are far more a contender and contenders DO make rentals. The Habs have more youth than the Sharks and are on a youth program so it makes no sense for them to take up rentals, whereas the Sharks are in a much different situation, having access to the playoffs year after year and not being able to reach the SCF. They are much more liable to take up rentals. Still forgetting about Rivet?

And trade Latendresse for two rentals? It all depends, on the situation, which is different from SJ.... SJ is not MTL. Latendresse is big, we don't have much of those... Bernier is big, though SJ HAS MUCH of those. The two situations are totally different.
Wilson accepted a rental last year and gave up Josh Gorges (yes, also a 1st round pick)...not Bernier or Setoguchi or Carle or Phlial.

Why would Doug Wilson trade Steve Bernier, a guy they drafted in 03' and have developped and have plans for.

In exchange for Streit, who's a good player but far from a proven commoditity and Mike Ryder a struggling UFA.

if one of those guys was signed, Wilson might think about it, but even then...

I'm not doubting that Streit/Ryder could interest the Sharks...but I don't see why they'd give up significant parts of their youth for two guys who may not have enough impact to push them over the top of teams like Detroit/Anaheim/Dallas/Calgary

let's just agree to disagree here...

Old
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Daze had pretty light feet though.
As he got older, he improved his skating...but coming out of junior, Daze might of been a worse skater than either of Latendresse or Bernier

Old
02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

How would Steve Bernier help the Habs make the playoffs and advance? He's not a major talent. I doubt whether he could match Ryder's 25, 30, and 30 goal seasons.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

If we didn't had Lats i would say yes maybe. But since we have him and both are similar player i say no. Plus we have Pacioretty as a potential power forward in the wings as well. If Bernier came as an "extra" in a deal i'd take him but that's about it.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote