HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to break up the Kovalev-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn line?

Old
02-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Fixed for you Shabutie....

I agree though... I would definetely try those lines at some point... Heck it can't hurt.
We need secondary scoring, badly.

I think Higgins can do the job Jimmy is doing on the Pleks-Kovalev line, and i think Jimmy is more dynamic on his proper RW side. Plus him and Billy together creates magic every time they are together it seems.

What can it hurt... If it doesn't work you put jimmy - pleks -kovy back together.
I might be overconfident but I think that the kost bros with Koivu would be the first line. Just a feeling I get.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 05:28 PM
goalchenyuk

Kostitsyn is doing very well with the first line . He's young and his building his confidence little by little . Yet , Higgins and Ryder have lost all their confidence and their game playing with Koivu .

No way i want to see the two young brothers beside him .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM1ke View Post
Exactly! The Kovy-Pleks-Kost line is our best and for a long time! Breaking it would be stupid! Detroit just lost 4 in a row and won't juggle with all their lines!

Just relax! With the team we have, we won't be able to catch up with Ottawa. If we make the playoffs, that's fine with me! Just don't switch the lines! Even Kovalev said this year he was happy because he was on a regular line for once!
And when was the last time we have two effective line? When we lose, we say, this team cannot win with only one line working, but you dont want to try things to make more than one line work. So should we stay this way all season long and go in the playoff with one line and watching Koivu and Higgins skating around?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Drive425

Breaking up that line means we don't have any line working on a consistant basis. I say no to breaking up the KpK line.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 05:37 PM
ryanghg

Best line we've had in years...no way we should break it up. It comes down to Higgins and Saku...they need to actually start playing.

ryanghg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 06:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Kostitsyn is doing very well with the first line . He's young and his building his confidence little by little . Yet , Higgins and Ryder have lost all their confidence and their game playing with Koivu .

No way i want to see the two young brothers beside him .
Why don't you just come out and say you blame Koivu for Ryder and Higgins struggling.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
MTL-rules

Time to think about the future: Pleks with the Kost brothers!

...but I won't be mad if the line doesn't break up or it's Koivu between the bros...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 05:35 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I was thinking more of the brothers playing with Koivu and Higgins playing with Pleks and Kovy
If you really want to spread the scoring around, try to pick up a Chris Gratton or similar player for a 2nd round pick:

Latendresse with Pleks and Kovy
The brothers with Koivu
Two-way line of Gratton-Ryder-Higgins

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
If you really want to spread the scoring around, try to pick up a Chris Gratton or similar player for a 2nd round pick:

Latendresse with Pleks and Kovy
The brothers with Koivu
Two-way line of Gratton-Ryder-Higgins
They sdhould try Smolinski with those wingers(Ryder Higgins) instead of playing him with Begin Kosto or defensemen.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:37 AM
shealy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
I don't know if it's just me but I recall some experience involving Koivu and Kovalev on the same line that turned out great, for example:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev in the 2003-2004 playoffs
Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev at the beginning of the 2005-2006 season while Zednik was injured

I'd like to put Higgins with Plekanec and Kostitsyn, and Kovalev with Koivu and either KostyJr or Ryder.

What's missing now on Koivu's line is finish and control along the board, two things that Kovalev has done very well this year.

That's a pretty good point. However, I do think Higgins has been playing pretty well down low and along the boards lately, but he gets no credit due to the fact that he hasn't been burying the puck (until the last two games). However, I do think Kovalev's strong play all around this season is exactly what is needed to get Koivu going. Like you said, Kovy has been great with controlling the play this year and he owns the half-boards.

Put Kovalev with Koivu and Higgins, and let's see the brothers work some magic together (and of course Pleks will add some non-related magic of his own!).

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
shealy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanghg View Post
Best line we've had in years...no way we should break it up. It comes down to Higgins and Saku...they need to actually start playing.

It may in fact be our best line in years, but how are we going to win in the playoffs with only one line producing? Pretty easy for a top d-pairing to shut down one line if you have no counter-attack...

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
TCIH

It's one of the reasons why I'm not really worried about secondary scoring right now... because Carbo still has the option of either putting the brothers on a line with each other, or putting Andrei on the right wing where Carbo can get the most out of him. The top-six of

Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev
Sergei - Koivu - Andrei

or

Sergei - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Andrei

are fine with me. What's important though is to try whichever combination Carbo deems preferable before the playoffs roll around, even if on a temporary basis. Because, honestly, if either the current Koivu line or KPK line is shut down in the playoffs, we'll need to split them up. With the Kostitsyn brothers, we have the option to do that and create two lines that can score; we just need to make sure which lines will work and make sure that the alternative lines have chemistry.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Why not try the experiment in small doses.. such as taking Andrei Kostitsyn off the Kovalev-Plekanec powerplay unit.. Put the Kostitsyn bros together with Koivu up front and put either Higgins or Latendresse with the Plekanec-Kovalev duo.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why not try the experiment in small doses.. such as taking Andrei Kostitsyn off the Kovalev-Plekanec powerplay unit.. Put the Kostitsyn bros together with Koivu up front and put either Higgins or Latendresse with the Plekanec-Kovalev duo.
Excellent ideas.

I also want to see more experiments with the Ds, even when the top 3 is healthy.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
ryanghg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
It may in fact be our best line in years, but how are we going to win in the playoffs with only one line producing? Pretty easy for a top d-pairing to shut down one line if you have no counter-attack...
Get the other lines moving then...1 scoring line is better than none

ryanghg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
It's one of the reasons why I'm not really worried about secondary scoring right now... because Carbo still has the option of either putting the brothers on a line with each other, or putting Andrei on the right wing where Carbo can get the most out of him. The top-six of

Sergei - Koivu - Andrei

or

Higgins - Koivu - Andrei

are fine with me. What's important though is to try whichever combination Carbo deems preferable before the playoffs roll around, even if on a temporary basis. Because, honestly, if either the current Koivu line or KPK line is shut down in the playoffs, we'll need to split them up. With the Kostitsyn brothers, we have the option to do that and create two lines that can score; we just need to make sure which lines will work and make sure that the alternative lines have chemistry.
I LOVE THOSE LINES! Kostitsyn would shine on the right side and Koivu would have alot less on his shoulders since Andrei is getting very good of carrying the puck from zone to zone

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post

Sergei - Koivu - Andrei

or

Higgins - Koivu - Andrei

Agreed with you !! I don't understand why Carbonneau is afraid to use the Bros with Koivu. Higgins can do the job of Andrei on the Pleky line, no doubt in my mind.

I'm confident that The Bros with Koivu could do lots of damage, kinda similar with the Sedin's.... Every time that Andrei and Sergei played together, they had a scoring chance or a goal happened... Pretty incredible knowing that they played together only for a few shifts

Why not try it for 2-3 games... they have nothing to lose. If it's not working, put the first line back as original. It's better try something now than to wait in the Playoffs and get destroyed because the first line is neutralized...

It is now or never !! Do it Guy !!

Carbonneau

Last edited by Erika: 02-14-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Very good idea WTK, this way there is less risk in seeing how it works out.

02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Lone Rogue

"Carbo screws with the lines too much!"

"Carbo should screw with the lines!"

Hypocritical bunch you are

Leave the first line alone barring injury.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:15 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Excellent ideas.

I also want to see more experiments with the Ds, even when the top 3 is healthy.
Agreed. It tests the character and worth of a player.

With regards to this particular topic of switching the top two lines, though, I wouldn't mind seeing something like...

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

or

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Kostitsyn - Koivu - Kovalev

I did some research awhile ago, because a lot of my buddies said Koivu - Kovalev weren't that good in '05-'06 -- not enough to have kept them together. I searched it up, and in games they played 10+ minutes together...

Koivu - 28-10-18-28, +1
Kovalev - 28-10-16-26, -1

In the games where they played at east 10+ minutes together, before Kovalev's injury...

Koivu - 18-5-15-20, +2
Kovalev - 18-7-12-19, +3

Granted, it's a very small sample, and it was two years ago, but they have put up numbers while playing together consistently. I don't think them playing together would be that big of a deal.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote