HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The immediate future

Old
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Byrral

vCash: 500
The immediate future is bright. It's better to know now instead of pretending this group is better than they really are. I understand everyones disappointment but this team played better than the reality of the current roster. A young core of talented players are here. Now Howson can get busy and make improvements objectively without the distraction of the playoff mirage.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah, in all fairness, I guess making the playoffs would provide the illusion that we have most of the pieces in place already. We obviously don't We have a nice core to build on, but there's a lot of "fluff" on this team.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Not sure whether this is more appropriate here or in the "Who to sell?" thread, but whatever.

Part of me hopes or even expects to see a couple of surprises at the deadline. If, in fact, this season has been and still is a foundational season, Hitch's first full year behind the bench, setting the stage for the "good stuff" to come in future seasons, then part of what should have been happening all along is an evaluation of which players have skill-sets that figure into the team's long-term plans based on standards set by the coach and the GM. I'd be surprised if the braintrust thinks every one of the team's non-aged vets - Klesla, Brule, OKT, Malhotra, Novotny, Brassard, Murray, Boll, Hejda, Russell, Methot, Lindstrom, (players I'm forgetting off the top of my head) - fits with the long-term vision.

The process is likely to last into the offseason, but I'm hoping to see more than just "Get rid of the old dudes!" In fact, some of the old dudes may in fact be part of the long-term vision, as the team will attepmt to bring 'em back. Cool. All I'm saying is, if this has been a true foundational year, and all we've learned is "Sell the vets and UFAs!" then it's a failure.

Old
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
213 Sentinel

I couldn't agree more, DSL. While I'm not attached to any players, I don't think dumping older vets is the solution to the CBJ's long-term woes. Getting rid of players that don't fit the mold of what management wants this team to be is. Of all the "young" vets you've mentioned, the one I want to see gone first is Malhotra. After that, whomever else doesn't fit in with the long-term vision of how this team is supposed to play is also welcome to leave--yesterday. I don't want to be subjected to another game like I had to witness last night again.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I’m with you as well DSL. I absolutely expect there to be some shake-up amongst the youngins as well, be it at the deadline or in the offseason. They’re on the chopping block too.

Two reasons come to mind for the focus on the “old guys” though.
1. It’s easy and we all have a good frame of reference for the types of deals that could be there. Tougher (and more uncomfortable) to project such things with the kiddies.
2. This is Hockey’s Future, where you can have my prospects when you can pry them from my cold dead hands!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63 View Post
This team hasnt been the same since Shelley was traded. They traded away the soul of the team.
Just for the record...

Feds last game was 1/17/08. Modin's last game (before yesterday) was 1/29/08.

Record since Jody was traded (1/29/08) 1-3-3.

Coincidence? Lack of veteran leadership?

One thing I was just thinking about... If the boss is an ego maniac, not saying he was would he hire "strong" personalities? Or, would he go for people who would be less likely to try to buck him (non-leader types)?

I know lots of people want to give Nash the C. Why? Perhaps behind closed doors he is a leader, but it doesn't seem like he is a dominant type of guy. We don't seem to have any really dominant type personalities.

Like them or hate them, you have to admit that guys like Avery, Reonik (sp?), and Hull WILL be heard. Do we have anyone in that mold?

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbluejackets View Post
8 of the next 9 on the road?

Anyone still believe in the playoffs?

Not I.....not this year

....discuss
I predict a strong road trip. We bounce back well, especially after horrible losses at home. I don't have any playoff aspirations atm, I'm just looking for a strong finish to the season.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
I couldn't agree more, DSL. While I'm not attached to any players, I don't think dumping older vets is the solution to the CBJ's long-term woes. Getting rid of players that don't fit the mold of what management wants this team to be is. Of all the "young" vets you've mentioned, the one I want to see gone first is Malhotra. After that, whomever else doesn't fit in with the long-term vision of how this team is supposed to play is also welcome to leave--yesterday. I don't want to be subjected to another game like I had to witness last night again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I’m with you as well DSL. I absolutely expect there to be some shake-up amongst the youngins as well, be it at the deadline or in the offseason. They’re on the chopping block too.

Two reasons come to mind for the focus on the “old guys” though.
1. It’s easy and we all have a good frame of reference for the types of deals that could be there. Tougher (and more uncomfortable) to project such things with the kiddies.
2. This is Hockey’s Future, where you can have my prospects when you can pry them from my cold dead hands!
Top Shelf is saying something similar (I think, he may not agree) in the "Who to sell" thread. He's framing it as "no one is untouchable" and I'm framing it as "if you don't fit the team's long-term plans, chances are you're gone," but I think the sentiment is the same.

213S - As an avid Manny-backer, I hope he's not moved, or I guess a better way to say that is I hope he fits somewhere in the long-term picture. I'm not going to discuss whether or not he should be (at this point, I'm too frustrated to have that conversation about any player), but if he's traded, I will presume he doesn't fit long-term and that will be OK with me (eventually, after all the weeping).

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
cbj21

I never expected we would be in the playoff run after Christmas before the season started so for me this season has been if not a success atleast a surprise. Z has been brilliant(except last 3-4 games) and im almost in shock how well he has played. I like what i see of Brassard more and more and i think Brule has looked great since the last call up. Im excited to know Voracek might be in the lineup next season too.
I think it will be a great season 08-09 and i hope for the playoffs.

With luck well even end #4 last and get first pick this season, perfect

Yup it does feel better thinking about the positive rather than the negative. Ya all should try it

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Lsquared

I have pretty much given up on the playoffs as well. Although we normally seem to play pretty good hockey the last few months of the season the last few seasons. Hopefully we can go out and play solid hockey, maybe string a few wins together, and you never know. I just really hope they don't just give up and fold it away. Keep playing and you never know what happens. Stranger things have happened, but its not likely.

It would be nice to see Stamkos on the Jackets next year though. 2 top line centers for the next 10 years (Brassard, Stamkos).

Lsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Mr Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I predict a strong road trip. We bounce back well, especially after horrible losses at home. I don't have any playoff aspirations atm, I'm just looking for a strong finish to the season.
I feel the same way, but this road trip looks daunting. Finish strong boys!

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote