HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zhamnov has been good...

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
sinisalo

vCash: 500
Zhamnov has been good...

I've been impressed with him so far. Maybe Clarke should sign this guy back next year.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:40 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisalo
I've been impressed with him so far. Maybe Clarke should sign this guy back next year.
damn straight, zhamnov is a great skater and passer. anyone who thinks he's a floater is an idiot. this guy is such a smooth skater he looks like he's not trying, but he always seems to be positioned correctly on both the offensive and defensive zones of the ice.

he's making clarke look real good on this trade.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I am remember Zhamnov from his Winnipeg days, He looks so lazy and that is because he is so smooth.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:54 AM
blah

If they don't get a Cup they def need to bring him back.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:56 AM
MojoJojo

Zhamnov has been very good, but we have limited space and money. If we sign Zhamnov, we dont get to see Carter or Richards with the club next year because of space on the roster, and we wont be able to re-sign Recchi because of room on the payroll (especially if a salary cap is negotiated).

Old
04-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Teezax

Recchi is a trooper who will want to retire in Philly. I't won't be a shock to see him take a paycut to stay here, same as Primeau. Zhamnov should be resigned, the chemistry of the razzle dazzle line is continuing to grow.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Any chance they can sign Zhamnov around draft time so they don't have to lose him due to a salary cap? (If that makes sense). For example, if a team has 50 million $ payroll and a salary cap of 40 million is negotiated, what happens to the team with the 50 million? Do they have to cut players or just have to pay a fine or something? If it just involves a fine, I'd sign as many players now (Recchi, Zhamnov) and then take the fine.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Teezax

The fine makes sense, as we were paying a fine for 10 years (Therien's contract)
We now have the room to do it with him out of the lineup, the wasted $$$ has to go somewhere.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Gert B Frobe

He's a classic case of a good player stuck on bad teams. I remember when he was traded for Roenick and Blackhawk fans/media ripped him for being soft/lazy/european etc... I never saw him play much but he sure is a hell of a lot better than I expected - especially on D. Loads of skill too just not all that quick.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:00 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
If they don't get a Cup they def need to bring him back.
They should bring him back anyway.

Look, the simple fact is that if there's a lockout next year, this is Recchi and Roenick's last year with the Flyers. We need Zhamnov back either way to help be part of the core of veterans that help steer the newer Flyers.

Oh, and about this whole salary cap discussion....if there is ever a salary cap (which I am STRONGLY opposed to), Leclair will be on the top of the list to get rid of.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
They should bring him back anyway.

Look, the simple fact is that if there's a lockout next year, this is Recchi and Roenick's last year with the Flyers. .
Roenick's has 2 or 3 more years on his contract.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Zhamnov has been very good, but we have limited space and money. If we sign Zhamnov, we dont get to see Carter or Richards with the club next year because of space on the roster, and we wont be able to re-sign Recchi because of room on the payroll (especially if a salary cap is negotiated).
First thing is first: Carter or Richards won't be on the team as 4th liners, which they would be if they were on the team behind Roenick, Primeau, Sharp and Handzus. So 2 of those guys have to go and Handzus isn't one of them.

Getting Primeau to re-sign for less, not bringing Burke back will account for being able to re-sign Zhamnov and Recchi. This team boasts an almost unlimited budget even though every year they say they're going to cut it. That said, they must re-sign Zhamnov, because he is the best player on the team, and they gave up too much for him to be a rental, wheather they win or not. Zhamnov wants to be here, it is clear in his play and his attitude. Plus it will save the team next year from having to trade Seidenberg, a 2007 2nd round pick and Patrick Sharp for another 34-year old Center who they only want for 3 months.

Old
04-17-2004, 06:50 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Oh, and about this whole salary cap discussion....if there is ever a salary cap (which I am STRONGLY opposed to), Leclair will be on the top of the list to get rid of.
Clarke couldn't move LeClair when he tried before this season and there was no salary cap in place.......what will make teams bite and take Johnny and his $8-9 mil/yr. if a cap goes into place? Won't happen.........

Old
04-18-2004, 03:37 PM
panayiotis

burner

Hayward and myself were shocked when he blow past Niedermayer in game 5. He is firing on all cylinders.

Old
04-18-2004, 05:18 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

first let me start off this post by saying if Primeau is not resigned, I declare mutiny.

zhamnov is kicking it right now, no doubt.

**but before we bring him back, let me remind you of what is happening with desjardins.

both of them are older guys--with eric, two years of his new deal and he's ended both seasons on the sideline.

i'd love to see him back and playing this well, it's just not bloody likely.

Patrick Sharp, I love him as a player, but we either need to convert him to wing, or get rid of him for a player at another position or picks.

Old
04-18-2004, 05:35 PM
devsfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisalo
He has been great and he absolutely tooled the Devils. I didn't know that he was that good. You guys are due for a cup so I am hoping that you win it. There is no shame in losing to the Champs and if you win then the Devils have a good excuse for getting beat. Just don't let Toronto or Ottawa win please. If you guys keep playing the way you were against us you will have a good chance. Good luck guys.

Old
04-18-2004, 09:24 PM
FlyerFire

i think

Zhamnov has earned a return.period.i don't want this trade to turn into Oates 2. .by the way Devils fans,you guys have been really cool with this rivalry.hope it continues in the future.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:25 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
^^^
Yushkevich sure as hell earned a return last year but then again you can blame it on his shoulder injury

Say hypothetically we win the cup. There is a good chance JR will retire cause of his concussion problems. Recchi, LeClair, and Desjardins are also good candidates to retire but most likely Desjardins will give it another go if his arm heals correctly and 100% this time.

I think if we win the cup JR and Recchi are done which means we will definitely sign Zhamnov. But if we keep Recchi and JR no matter how much we want him I don't see Clarke signing him cause there wouldn't be a spot for him. We have to remember Clarke isn't the biggest fan of Russians. But hopefully with like 5 minutes left in yesterdays game when he heard Malakhov to Zhamnov to Markov he shoots he scores he realized it's not too bad to have them.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Zhamnov can't turn into "Oates 2", and that's a very poor comparison.

JR could retire if he wins a championship, I could see that, but Recchi already has a ring, and he would want to come back I imagine. LeClair won't retire either, but his time as a Flyer may be over.

I have a sneaking feeling that Clarke doesn't care about Russians anymore. Look how many Europeans are on this team.

Old
04-19-2004, 04:47 PM
FlyerFire

if we don't resign him

what will it be "rental" aka Oates.

Old
04-19-2004, 05:22 PM
slapshotflyer

He'll be 34 when next season is due to get underway. Anyone think that the potential lockout will bring an end to his career or whether it depends if we take the Cup this year. What do you guys think?

Old
04-19-2004, 05:33 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotflyer
He'll be 34 when next season is due to get underway. Anyone think that the potential lockout will bring an end to his career or whether it depends if we take the Cup this year. What do you guys think?

At 34 he's not looking to retire at all. He still has a few good years left in him. He's also said that this is the most fun he's ever had playing the game. he's never played for a team this good before.

Old
04-19-2004, 06:23 PM
slapshotflyer

Thought as much. Good to hear.

Old
04-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Foppa

I've gotten a kick the last few seasons when Archie's name had been tossed around at the deadline and fans of playoff teams were saying they didn't want him because he was one dimensional.

The fact has always been the Archie is a good two-way player, much better than he is given credit for. I thought the Flyers really improved their team with his addition and its quite obvious now. And thats not even mentioning the fact that he's been averaging nearly a point per game this season, including the playoffs.

I think he's defenitely got a couple of very good seasons left in him and could maximize them on a team like the Flyers where he's not being pressured to be the team's leader.

Go Archie Go!

Old
04-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

No one retires early anymore, except for medical reasons (i.e.: LaFontaine, Brett Lindros, Beukeboom), so other than MAYBE Roenick, I don't see any of these people retiring early, especially when they can get millions to play (depending on the CBA).

Closed Thread