HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Canadian colleges/universities to join NCAA?

Old
02-15-2008, 11:05 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Canadian colleges/universities to join NCAA?

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...TS13/802150451

The NCAA has voted to allow Canadian colleges/universities to apply for membership in the NCAA. They could join and play in NCAA events as soon as this fall.

That could add a lot of hockey competition in the NCAA Division I (think ECAC, WCHA, Frozen Four).

Could definitely increase exposure of Canadian college students to the NHL scouts. Might even have some teams expand their collegiate scouting ranks to cover more ground.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
This would be ****ing awesome.

You'll probably see more Canadian players skipping the CHL and playing college hockey in Canada.

This would be great for college hockey.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I wonder how that works, since Canadian university teams are full of former CHL players.

Where are Canadian universities meant to recruit, if the vast majority of their talent base would be considered ineligible? Junior B would be their only option.

I also wonder if this means a change to the athletic scholarship regulations in Canada.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
This would be ****ing awesome.

You'll probably see more Canadian players skipping the CHL and playing college hockey in Canada.

This would be great for college hockey.
Not likely. Playing hockey in an American university means a fully paid ride for many of them, otherwise at least a partial scholarship. There are no athletic scholarships in most (if not all) of Canada.

Old
02-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Not likely. Playing hockey in an American university means a fully paid ride for many of them, otherwise at least a partial scholarship. There are no athletic scholarships in most (if not all) of Canada.
I can't see how that wouldn't change at least somewhat. To be competitive, it has to happen.

Old
02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I wonder how that works, since Canadian university teams are full of former CHL players.

Where are Canadian universities meant to recruit, if the vast majority of their talent base would be considered ineligible? Junior B would be their only option.

I also wonder if this means a change to the athletic scholarship regulations in Canada.
Former CHL players would be ineligible.

And yes, I can almost guarantee you'll see athletic scholarships for hockey in Canada. They wouldn't be able to compete without them.

Old
02-15-2008, 11:20 AM
primetime

Stupid decision for Canadian colleges. The NCAA is one of the most ridiculous governing bodies of anything (not just sports) in the world. You're basically signing your soul over to them for membership.

primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Shane

Yeah, I'd rather see Canadian schools stick with the CIS. I think UBC and any others that make the jump will likely regret it.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Yeah, I'd rather see Canadian schools stick with the CIS. I think UBC and any others that make the jump will likely regret it.
And if they stick with the CIS, than they'll lose out on a lot of money and promotion. It's a big time business decision that.

Old
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Well since the athletic scholarship issue is actually a CIS one (as opposed to legislature) joining the NCAA (and assuming a withdrawal from the CIS) would allow such scholarships to exist.

Sounds like it's all-or-nothing though. You can't compete in both.

Old
02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I wonder how this would effect American Colleges who recruit from Canada. I know there are alot of Canadians on Northeasterns hockey team. Would those Canadians choose to stay in Canada if they could attend a Canadian University and play at the same level?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I wonder how this would effect American Colleges who recruit from Canada. I know there are alot of Canadians on Northeasterns hockey team. Would those Canadians choose to stay in Canada if they could attend a Canadian University and play at the same level?
Consider that 8 players on Northeastern are Canadian including our Starting goalie and we only have one drafted player in Joe Vitale, it would burn Northeastern if they had to start competing with Canadian school in addition to BU and BC.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
yea, that would be interesting.

I would be willing to bet at least 60% of rosters in the ECAC here (im at clarkson) are canadian players.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

There's a lot more to it than all of you are mentioning here. So here are a few things to keep in mind here...

1) This is a test-program, which means it'll start out with a few programs.

2) The motivating factor, according to ALL the reports that I've read coming from both sides of the border, is that it is about being able to offer full athletic scholarships, particularly to first year players, with less stricter academic achievement requirements.

3) Even if this goes through and proves successful, there are a number of issues that still need to be worked out with ALL sports. With hockey alone, potential NCAA member schools will have to deal with
a) players who have formerly played in the CHL being eligible (since current NCAA rules state that players who have played in the CHL are ineligible to in the NCAA).

b) how it will affect their current relationship with the CIS.

c) How easily and quickly can they gain membership into one of the existing six D-I conferences, specifically the big four (CCHA, ECAC, Hockey East and the WCHA), none of whom are accepting new members, nor will be in the foreseeable future.

Having said all of this, it's far from a done deal. But I'd welcome it personally, even with some of the NCAA's shortcomings (nobody's perfect). If successful, it would vastly help keep NCAA hockey more stable across the board. It would also give Canadian universities a chance at landing kids who'll be exposed more to NHL scouts and potentially have some of their current players drafted right out of college. The Canadian universities are at such a disadvantage with the way that things are now with the CHL getting the lion's share of the talent that NHL teams look at. And while the CHL does offer their own educational packages, very few top-end players take advantage of them.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
c) How easily and quickly can they gain membership into one of the existing six D-I conferences, specifically the big four (CCHA, ECAC, Hockey East and the WCHA), none of whom are accepting new members, nor will be in the foreseeable future.
Does that mean none of the schools thinking about cutting there hockey programs, or downgrading there competition level are going to do it?

Old
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
The Muffin Stud

I'll miss the rivalry that comes with Junior and College. CHL vs. NCAA (Canada vs. USA in WJHC)

CHL, Junior A, now NCAA! Canadian hockey fans have no excuse to not think of a league to follow!

It'll be really cool for the media here in Canada as well. They hardly ever talk about NCAA hockey on our sporting shows but if this thing pulls through they will be talking about it here like they do College Football in the US.

The Muffin Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasainteflanelle View Post
great! now canadian university's can be flooded with half brained retards who can play sports!
that is football and basketball -- American Universities with hockey programs have great GPAs.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
Does that mean none of the schools thinking about cutting there hockey programs, or downgrading there competition level are going to do it?
In the Big Four all are pretty secure. Wayne State dropping hockey and putting the CHA in peril could potentially leead to some casualties there. The flip side of that issue is the other five conferences picking up refugees from from the CHA.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

CIS are not happy about this at all.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
In the Big Four all are pretty secure. Wayne State dropping hockey and putting the CHA in peril could potentially leead to some casualties there. The flip side of that issue is the other five conferences picking up refugees from from the CHA.
I think UMass-Lowell is still hanging by a thread, but I could be wrong.

Old
02-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And if they stick with the CIS, than they'll lose out on a lot of money and promotion. It's a big time business decision that.
What money and promotion?

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:

Thats not true, in fact on sports radio the other day they were discussing the U of A volleyball team and in fact they are over the number of players allowed a scholarship in NCAA rules.

Another discussion was CDN Unis wouldn't be allowed to choose which sports they participate in, you must go full NCAA or nothing. You can't just choose Hockey, Volleyball and basketball in the NCAA but want to keep Football and Golf in CIS.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
I think UMass-Lowell is still hanging by a thread, but I could be wrong.
I would hope not, but if they go I'm sure Niagra and Hooly Cross would charge at an open in the HE.

Since the most likely candidate is UBC the only conference that is a natural fit is thw WCHA which is reluctant to expand. I could conceivably see them motivated to open up if they are Bemidji's only safe harbor. Neb-Omaha might like to upgrade conferences.

Otherwise it's the CHA which doesn't have an automatic bid for the tourney being short of 6 teams.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Thats not true, in fact on sports radio the other day they were discussing the U of A volleyball team and in fact they are over the number of players allowed a scholarship in NCAA rules.

Another discussion was CDN Unis wouldn't be allowed to choose which sports they participate in, you must go full NCAA or nothing. You can't just choose Hockey, Volleyball and basketball in the NCAA but want to keep Football and Golf in CIS.
They don't have to play those other sports at a D-1 level though. Alabama-Huntsville only player D-1 Hockey, their other sports are d-2.

Old
02-15-2008, 02:58 PM
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
that is football and basketball -- American Universities with hockey programs have great GPAs.
Don't kid yourself. Just because they're white doesn't mean that college hockey players are any smarter than those in predominantly black sports, which is implied in your disdain for the two sports you mentioned.

Saying "American universities with hockey programs have great GPAs" means nothing. Princeton, Yale, Harvard all have respectable hockey programs (as well as decent football and basketball programs) and their schools are academically renowned. It doesn't mean those players could get in there if they didn't play those sports. Hockey players are traditionally some of the dumbest around (though not as bad as baseball players, some of whom have a tough time forming coherent words, let alone sentences).

As for "nobody's perfect" in regards to the NCAA, that's a massive understatement. The NCAA punishes kids for having summer jobs. Let's be honest here.

primetime is offline   Reply With Quote