HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bonk vs Smolinsky

Old
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Bulis hit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Uselessky.
Slowlinsky

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
Slowlinsky
Smolinspuke

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Puckhead58*

Bonk was definitely better defensively, but they are about the same when it comes to offence. Bonk finished last year with 23 points and Smokes has 18 right now....not much of a difference really. But Bonk finished with a +/- of 0 and Smokes is -6 with 20 some games to go....so he could finish with a 0 too....who knows.

Nobody expected Smolinski to be as bad as he has been most of the year. He played decent last year but he also got more icetime with better wingers too. I don't think it would matter which player we had, people would find something to nit-pick about.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM1ke View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that we should have kept Bonk instead of signing up Smolinsky??

Bryan is slower and keeps making errors in our defensive zone. Bonk was reliable defensively and was scoring some goals at least! (not only empty netters!)

For almost the same salary, I would have definitively resigned Bonk instead of Smolinsky...
Neither of them. Chipchura or a UFA like Éric Bélanger or Laperrière would had been more useful.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
snakeye

Bonk > Chipchura + Smolinski.

Imagine our PK with Bonk still on our team. We'd be #1 on both PK and PP, and with our improved 5 on 5 play, we'd be first in the east atm. Bonk's line also did a good job shutting down the opposition's scoring lines; who takes care of them now?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I'd much rather see Chipchura in Smolinsky's spot in the lineup right now.. He is much quicker and brings more to the game...

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
He s making 1.35M this year and 1.6 next year
He used to make 2.34 with us last year IIRC

And Smoke is making 2M with us this year

While I agree that Bonk at 1.35 is MUCH better, I wouldnt have signed him for 2 years too.
Let's be honest.

Who here can tell me with a straight face that the Preds won't be able to get rid of Bonk through waivers if need be?

Heck, they can probably trade him for a pick. Not a quality pick, but still a pick. It's not like they tied their hands with a decade-long, multi-million dollar deal. His salary is very reasonable. Smolinski's is not.

I love Bonk's contract compared to Smolinski. Talent vs talent, it's close. But Bonk's contract is amazing and were I Gainey, I'd trade Smolinski for Bonk in a millisecond if I had the opportunity.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Let's be honest.

Who here can tell me with a straight face that the Preds won't be able to get rid of Bonk through waivers if need be?

Heck, they can probably trade him for a pick. Not a quality pick, but still a pick. It's not like they tied their hands with a decade-long, multi-million dollar deal. His salary is very reasonable. Smolinski's is not.

I love Bonk's contract compared to Smolinski. Talent vs talent, it's close. But Bonk's contract is amazing and were I Gainey, I'd trade Smolinski for Bonk in a millisecond if I had the opportunity.
I have a problem with how DSmolinski plays sometimes, but I don't care about his $. They gave him money no one else wanted. It doesn't hamstring them or limit them in any way. If it was 2 years I'd be upset, but it was an easy chance to take for 1. If they really hate his game,bench him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote