HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

About Joe Thornton's performance...

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 02:57 PM

vCash: 500
About Joe Thornton's performance...

I understand he had a torn rib cartilage injury, and i've bruised my ribs, I can't imagine the kind of pain he was in, however, I hope people don't try to take away from the Habs because of this...

Thornton decided to play, he's supposed to be a the Bruins best player and arguably the best player in the world, and i'm by no way trying to say he's not, but he disappeared in this series, he didn't even manage 1 measly point and had 1 assist in 13 games vs. the Habs this year, he makes me think of Lindros, he dosen't mind dishing the pain, but he has trouble taking it...

2 years ago our captain, Saku Koivu, came back from stomach cancer and chemo-therapy treatments to lead our team in scoring and past the Bruins, so, I don't have any sympathy for Joe's ribs, suck it up and show up for you team when they need you...if you can't take it, then you shouldn't be on the ice...if he was in that much pain, and if he was a true leader, he would of told the coach that he's in too much pain and he's hurting his team...I know it's hard to tell a player like Joe Thornton not to play, but at least he should of played on the 4th line + PP time

anyways....no more talk about the Bruins for me, we've moved on to bigger and better things

Go HABS GO!

Old
04-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Theres still a difference 417.

Koivu played after Recovery

Tornton played during an injury(that normally takes 6 weeks to heel)

I dont like Thornton much either, but i cant believe people are saying this guy sucks. He is a dominant player, he just didnt show it the playoffs because of his injury (thank god). The man is only 24 years old, the same as Ribs and is twice the player. Lets stop being Hab fans and think about it for a moment.

Who would you take, in terms of skill as your second line C, Ribs or Thornton??? The answer is obvious.

I have also bruised my ribs before. It happened to me in a car accident. I was minor, but it was still very difficult to move and twist side to side, as it takes the breathe right outa you the second you change position. I cant even imagine the pain he was in, as it must have been brutal.

Anyways, I think people have been way to harsh on Joe. I know he plays dirty sometimes, but to deny his skill is just insane.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:07 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

The thing that I don't understand is well, he was able hit our players but he was unable to shoot, stickhandle and pass? What the heck!

Old
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Guy LaFleur

After this, my respect went up for him tenfold. I still hate his guts, yeah, but at least I respect him while doing it... Well, now I do, anyway.

What he did took a lot of heart and soul. He was one of the few Boston players that really went out there and wanted it. He suffered for his team and, quite frankly, if Boston fans can't understand that, then perhaps they don't even deserve to have someone sacrifice his body for the team.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:11 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
The thing that I don't understand is well, he was able hit our players but he was unable to shoot, stickhandle and pass? What the heck!
I don't believe that either, but I don't care if he played injured or not cause we WON, and that's all it matters now!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch

I dont like Thornton much either, but i cant believe people are saying this guy sucks. He is a dominant player, he just didnt show it the playoffs because of his injury (thank god). The man is only 24 years old, the same as Ribs and is twice the player. Lets stop being Hab fans and think about it for a moment.

Who would you take, in terms of skill as your second line C, Ribs or Thornton??? The answer is obvious.

I have also bruised my ribs before. It happened to me in a car accident. I was minor, but it was still very difficult to move and twist side to side, as it takes the breathe right outa you the second you change position. I cant even imagine the pain he was in, as it must have been brutal.

Anyways, I think people have been way to harsh on Joe. I know he plays dirty sometimes, but to deny his skill is just insane.

As much as I like and admire Koivu, as well as consider Koivu to be a #1 centre in the NHL, if Thornton was ever on the Habs, at the same time as Koivu, he would be the #1 centre, not Saku.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch

I never denied Thornton's skill, I think he's a great world class player, and probably one of the top 3 players in the world today...I just hink that Thornton's problem is in his head, he acts like a spoiled baby sometimes, his rib injury did not stop him from creaming Markov a few times, same with last night when he went after Komisarek...I understand his injury stopped him from being the type of player he is, but to not register a single point in 7 games is a whole other story...don't forget he only had 1 assist in 6 regular season games....I wasn't trying to bash Thornton at all, I think he a great talent, but if he wants to step into that other class of players, a la Forberg, he's got to mature alot more and take his leadership role more seriously...

Old
04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Joe Malone

I love Joe's skill and admire his toughness. Here's my problem with him: the Bruins lost the momentum (and the series) in game 5. Had they been able to put Montreal away that night, the series was over. However, they played an undisciplined game, both penalty-wise, and defensively. And Joe led the way. He took stupid penalties. One against Theo, one against Markov and one against Brisebois. I'm not blaming the loss of the entire series on Joe, that was a team effort. But he didn't perform smartly on the most important game of the Bruin's season.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Guy Caballero

Thornton on his best day has never given the Habs much to worry about. If he could skate like he was, he could have gotten a couple of points, or at least done something to contribute. Stevie Y did it on a broken ankle. Modano did it with a broken wrist. Thornton was skating fine, and he was hitting. It wasn't his body that kept him off the scoresheet completely. His problem was between the ears.

Joe may yet turn out to be a good leader, but he simply isn't there yet. I don't know if it's immaturity or lack of mental toughness, but he still looks like a boy among men when it really counts. That's not to say they should trade him or anything. Quite the opposite—they should be patient with him and not rake him over the coals. They should also surround him with guys who will bring out the best in him. A guy like Mogilny playing with Thornton would improve his game immensely. That's what the Bruins should be looking at, instead of fixating on size like that's the be all and end all of good hockey.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Thornton on his best day has never given the Habs much to worry about. If he could skate like he was, he could have gotten a couple of points, or at least done something to contribute. Stevie Y did it on a broken ankle. Modano did it with a broken wrist. Thornton was skating fine, and he was hitting. It wasn't his body that kept him off the scoresheet completely. His problem was between the ears.

Joe may yet turn out to be a good leader, but he simply isn't there yet. I don't know if it's immaturity or lack of mental toughness, but he still looks like a boy among men when it really counts. That's not to say they should trade him or anything. Quite the opposite—they should be patient with him and not rake him over the coals. They should also surround him with guys who will bring out the best in him. A guy like Mogilny playing with Thornton would improve his game immensely. That's what the Bruins should be looking at, instead of fixating on size like that's the be all and end all of good hockey.
Damn, you seriously took the words right out of my mouth

Old
04-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Damn, you seriously took the words right out of my mouth
I thought the same thing after I posted and scrolled up to read your message.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Yeah, Joe (when healthy) could use maybe some better wingers. Murray is okay but is getting older, Knuble is a merely ordinairy without Joe at 100% (30 goals last year and 20something this year, he never came close to that before). Definitely a downgrade from Guerin. Just look at how ineffective Murray and Knuble were without Thornton at his best. The Bruins aren't much when their Captain struggles. Their record without him in the lineup (or healthy, in this case) in the last 4 years is way under .500.

You could say the B's don't spend enough to accomodate Joe with elite linemates, but they did waste 5M on Lapointe. Gonchar really let them down in this series too, but I'm thinking Thornton has yet to prove himself in the playoffs, and his captaincy is still in early stages. But likewise, Jarome Iginla has even weaker linemates, no real set-up man and he racks up goals and points better than Joe the whole year. Iginla is a new captain and responded so well with 41 goals and a stellar series where he showed us all we're watching a great leader in the making and, I don't hesitate to say, a future hall-of-famer. Joe's got something to prove. And he's fallen behind Iggy after this year, but I have no doubt he will be as good or better once he reaches 26 (Jarome's age).

100 pts. would be the norm for Thornton if he had linemates like Kovalev, Iginla, Guerin, Zetterberg. Awesome wingers in this league. Likewise, put a guy like Koivu in between Jarome and anyone and I'll guarantee 100 pts. from Saku (70+ assists) and Iginla (50 goals to boot) and 30 goals, 70 pts. for the other guy, regardless of who he is (it could be Dagenais and that'd still happen). It's all about who you surround your franchise player with. Hopefully, ours will be Katsitsyn and Kovy, Zednik, Koivu, Ribs, Souray, Komisarek and others are there to build around the go-to guy.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:09 PM
RaTcine

I know what is torn rib cartilage injury.
I had twice this injury.

I assure you that Joe Thornton is a monster for playing with this kinda pain.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Guy Caballero, and 417 you guys make some great points. I guess time will tell what Joe is really made of.

Old
04-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro
As much as I like and admire Koivu, as well as consider Koivu to be a #1 centre in the NHL, if Thornton was ever on the Habs, at the same time as Koivu, he would be the #1 centre, not Saku.
And he would be the captain and leader! Leading the Habs out onto the golfcourse as we speak!

Old
04-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Habbadasher

What I found most amazing was after Game 6 he denied his injury was affecting his play. He is a monster performer in my opinion. He has some maturing to do, sure, but he still has time.

Old
04-20-2004, 06:12 PM
tnq

Guys, please pay some respects for B. I have to admit we were lucky because B's first line did not work. B has only 1 "functional" line, that's why Habs can dominate that easy. Now that round is history, let talk about Tampa team. Let B's fans crucify their own players. Page turned

Old
04-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Who seriously cares, except Bruins fans, about Thornton...

Closed Thread