Notices

Was Sellars Injured?

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Sandman13

vCash: 500
Was Sellars Injured?

Does anyone know if Luke Sellars was injured for the past couple of months, or was he a healthy scratch? Also, I assume Atlanta won't offer him a contract, but does anyone have any insight on him?

Old
04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Holly Gunning

Yes he was injured. A long drawn out knee injury, if I recall correctly. Not worth keeping track of very closely, since as you allude to, he won't be back.

Old
04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Sandman13

Thanks for the info. I was a fan of his from his days with Ottawa in the OHL, and despite his lack of success in the Pro's so far, I still follow his career, and hope he can turn it around sometime.

Old
04-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Holly Gunning

I think he'll be a highly sought-after free agent amongst ECHL teams this off season. The question is really if he wants to continue playing. That I have no idea about.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:10 AM
hockey2234

I disagree. I think that until he got injured he was doing a great job, definately one of the better D on the team (he was a +9). His injury came at a bad time. If he is able to get back in the game, and pick up where he left off, then I think he can have a career definately above the ECHL.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:15 AM
hockey2234

Also HollyG, unless you are part of the Thrashers General Mgmt team, (which you very well might be) how can you definately know who will and won't be offered a contract? Just curious

Old
04-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Holly Gunning

I will let my track record predicting what will happen to people speak for itself. I feel no need to justify it at this point.

One should consider though, that it is a very bad sign that in the final year of a guy's rookie contract, that he be switched between positions. At that point if he hasn't made himself indispensable at one or the other, he's just not going to work out.

Not that it will effect his destiny much, but on a side note, the AHL will be more crowded than usual next year because of the NHL lockout. It won't effect the Thrashers on D though, since no one who played for the big club this year can be sent back. Forwards who could have made the jump up won't though.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:13 PM
ATLThrashers15

I agree with Holly, you dont switch the guys position in the last year of his contract for the reason that you wanna keep him. I think he will be signed by the Wolves and assigned to Gwinnett and left there until injuries present themselves. Chicago will be full of defensemen next year with possibly Ilya Nikulin being added to the mix along with Coburn.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Holly Gunning

Personally I don't think you'll see either Nikulin or Coburn there. I have a hunch Nikulin isn't coming, and if I'm not mistaken, Coburn will still be too young for the AHL. What is the date they need to be 20 by, I forget.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:18 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Personally I don't think you'll see either Nikulin or Coburn there. I have a hunch Nikulin isn't coming, and if I'm not mistaken, Coburn will still be too young for the AHL. What is the date they need to be 20 by, I forget.
Well the thing with Coburn is he is too young to play in the AHL, but he will have exhausted his years in juniors, so he will have no where else to play, right? I think similar to the Bouwmeester situation, and I spoke with a Russian scout about Nikulin and he said that he is still developing a little and with the spots in Chicago tight this year, they figured it best to leave him in Russia.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Holly Gunning

Yes there is an exception that if you've played a certain number of games in the CHL, you can play in the AHL early. Coburn will have played three full seasons and 2 games at at age 15. I don't know if that passes the criteria though as I can't remember the rule. Just because he's allowed to leave junior wouldn't necessarily mean he would though of course. Remember, the reason there are these rules exist is via agreement between the NHL and the CHL, the CHL wanting to keep their talent as long as possible.

Old
04-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Blatny Spears

I think you have to turn 20 by January 1st. Coburn has a February birthday, so he's still too young for the AHL. He hasn't exhausted his junior eligibility. It would make no sense if a player was too old for juniors but too young for the AHL. What is he supposed to do in that scenario? As far as I know, junior eligibility is only tied to a player's age, not how many years he's been in the league. It's not like college.

I've heard the playing-in-the-AHL-as-a-19-year-old rule only applies to the OHL for some odd reason.

Old
04-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
He hasn't exhausted his junior eligibility. It would make no sense if a player was too old for juniors but too young for the AHL. What is he supposed to do in that scenario? As far as I know, junior eligibility is only tied to a player's age, not how many years he's been in the league.
Right, the four years in the CHL rule is that they CAN play in the AHL before 20, not that they have to leave juniors. But I'm not sure what counts as a "year". He played 2 games at 15, does that count as a year. Not sure.

Closed Thread